Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Help for CWI EXAM
- - By peter-abc Date 08-29-2007 06:20
Hello AWS members. My name is Peter .
I am scheduled to take the CWI  exam on the Sep. I was wondering if anyone has any advise for me on how to prepare for the exam, or if anyone could help me out with some information and tips to help me get ready for the exam. I could use all the help I can get !!! That is second test for me.Last year,I pass part C only ,
please for help.

Sincerely,
Peter
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-29-2007 12:44
Peter,

Since you have taken the test already I'm sure you know that an intimacy with the code book your to be tested on is required... Understand the tables in Section 3 and Section 4 if your doing D1.1.  Understand the equations necessary to figure the tensiles and practice them with your calculator until your comfortable doing them quickly.

Learn how to use the index to find specific information by looking up key words... And when the index mentions both a table and text in the same section, get into the habbit of quickly checking each of them (because one of them may have a footnote that changes how the question will be answered)

Get a copy of Welding Inspection Technology (textbook) or the Certification Manual for Welding Inspectors and know each chapter well. There are good, brief descriptions of the various inspection processes that will be of help in the fundamentals and the hands on portion.

If you can manage it take the seminar the week before the exam.

Understand surface discontinuities and defects, understand how to determine from code what indications are allowable for a "given length" of weld.

Understand how to interpret sizes of both convex, concave and uneven leg fillet welds against code size requirements.
Parent - - By peter-abc Date 08-29-2007 15:06
Lawrence,

Thanks for your reply,I got the welding inspection technology test book,but havn't the certification manual for welding inspection.
Are you have any link for the certification manual for welding inspectors information?

I have one question for the part B,If the sample plate of convex /concave were distortion,how to interpret sizes?
Thansk alots,

Peter,
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 08-29-2007 16:03
the manual can be found on the aws site.
are you asking about the flatness of a plate only

I have one question for the part B,If the sample plate of convex /concave were distortion,how to interpret sizes?
Parent - By peter-abc Date 08-30-2007 12:52
Hogan

My question is for filet weld.
Are you have some question paper for part A and Part B?
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Help for CWI EXAM