Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hobart Fabsheild XLR-8
- - By cwf07 (***) Date 08-30-2007 12:05
I don't like wire that don't use gas. I just have not had good luck with it.  I would like to know what yall think about it.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-30-2007 12:26
CWF

Take a look at this data sheet...
http://www.hobartbrothers.com/pdf/datasheets/FabshieldXLR-8.pdf

FCAW wires are very sensitive and vary from brand to brand on parameters even if they have the same AWS designations...

Pay close attention to voltage and especially the stickout. Hobart notes on their "data sheet." For this wire stickout is 1 inch or more.

If the parameters noted are different from what your doing now... try it their way and let us know what happens.
Parent - - By cwf07 (***) Date 08-30-2007 20:20
I have not got any of the wire yet, my welding supplier was trying to get me to use it, but I don't know anything about what kind of beads it makes and if there is alot of splatter with it.
Parent - - By dschlotz (***) Date 09-01-2007 22:32
Ask for a free roll of wire and pay for it if you like it. The distributors want their products out there in use. They may even assist you in set up.

All of the gas less wires I have used have heavy slag that is very difficult to remove if you use only a chipping hammer. It turns to powder,as you chip it, that makes breathing difficult. If you don't power brush it and paint soon after brushing it corrodes quickly. Most require a CV power supply and DCEN (straight) polarity.

Now for the good part. It works well out in the wind. It's faster than stick. It has charpy value that is acceptable for structural. With a little practice beautiful things can happen.

Try  Lincoln 233, or ESAB Coreshield 8. Both are very forgiving if you are off a little on voltage. My experience has been that Lincolns' 232 is a little more sensitive to voltage than the other two I mentioned. 232 was one of the first D1.5 wires and is very well established in the field. I prefer 233.
Parent - - By cwf07 (***) Date 09-01-2007 22:57
Thanks for info I will ask them about a free roll because if it runs as good as they say they will get their money back in no time. How is the bead appearance. I don't uses much wire most of my work is stick because that the only thing the state will let us use in the feild.When I am not doing state work I work on alot of heavy equipment.
Parent - - By dschlotz (***) Date 09-02-2007 15:03
What state are you in. In California we are highly regulated and we have FCAW as the most used welding process in the field.

The bead appearance is as good as you are. It takes a little getting used too though, not quite as smooth as 7018. The big deal with this type of wire is to get the voltage and amperage as close to factory specs as you can. Too much voltage causes pin holes. There's a fine line between the heat you need to wet in the edges and pin holes.

If wind is not a problem where you are use FCAW with gas, it will increase your productivity well over what you can accomplish with stick or gas less FCAW.

Dennis
Parent - By cwf07 (***) Date 09-02-2007 19:27 Edited 09-02-2007 23:57
I'm in Georgia I use flux core wire working on heavy equipment but if I am doing Bridge work which is 75% of my work the state make us use stick.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hobart Fabsheild XLR-8