Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Tryin to stay on the edge!
- - By maverick Date 08-30-2007 18:39
I've been welding for 2 years in oil fields of Kern County. I'm from bakersfield and I'm looking to relocate (hopefully to the northern states). The skills I've aquired in these 2 years are 90% carbon and 10% stainless. I'm wanting to go back to a welding school for tig welding so as to be certified. The only school I can find that's of fiber so far is Lincoln Electric's welding school. I don't care how far I have to travel, I just want the best school for this field. Oh, and I'm very interested in Aerospace....I just need some pointers gents any info would be MUCH appreciated.
Patrick
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 08-30-2007 23:27
Hello maverick, you might want to check out Columbia Basin College in Pasco, WA., they have a really exceptional reputation for their pipe tig training as well as other things. Regards, aevald
Parent - - By maverick Date 09-04-2007 18:20
this school can provide lessons (schooling) in white irons?....cause that's what i'm really interested in.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-05-2007 13:32
Hello maverick, I can't say that they specifically teach "white iron" welding. To be honest the term you're referring to is specific to a type of cast iron, was this your intention? If so, many schools will teach a limited amount on this material, but none that I know of go in depth on the welding of it. At my school we have the students weld on cast with the SMAW process, GTAW process, OAW process(both brazing and welding). Yet the students don't "specialize" so to speak, it is more of an introduction to the process. There are a couple of companies in a fairly close proximity to me that do specialize in the welding of cast iron products. They mainly cater to the automotive industry and weld heads, blocks, transmission cases and similar items, their main process for repair is welding with oxy-fuel. Is this the area that you are interested in? Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By maverick Date 09-05-2007 18:24
hmmm nope not cast iron. Titanium, stainless, aluminum, etc. lol, I hate welding on cast iron. I've read up some on the Lincoln Electric welding school. My goal is to get away from carbon and dirty, oily, crappy atmosphere. I talked to a guy at praxair one day and he said he welds on missle casings. That got my interests sparked in aerospace. Not sure what they make compaired to a rig welder. So basically I'm looking for a school that can take me into that field, along with some pay info!
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-06-2007 00:40
Hello maverick, your reference to "white iron" threw me, haven't heard those metals referenced that way. As far as Columbia Basin College goes, they have always been real involved with pipe welding and have done a tremendous amount of training for the folks who have worked at the Hanford Nuclear Reservation. They teach carbon, stainless, titanium and probably just about any other type of piping that you could run into. They also have many different automated welding systems, both GTAW and FCAW. You should probably get on the Web and check out their site for more and better information than I'm able to give you. They are also in the process of building a new facility, their old one was nothing to turn your nose up at and the new one will be first rate, I'm sure. I don't believe that they have strong ties to the aerospace industry but I don't really know that. The school is located in Pasco, WA. which is about a couple hundred miles from the Boeing plants to the west so it's possible they could have cultivated ties there. They also have good relationships with the pipefitters union and it's almost guaranteed if you go through their program sucessfully you'll get a spot. Hope this was a little bit better information than my other posts. Good luck and regards, aevald
Parent - By maverick Date 09-07-2007 02:57
thx for your time on this question. I'll look up columbian basin to see what they offer. I'm testing on 12" @ 6g for a company here in california called southwest construction. If I pass (which I hope) I'll be going to Clearlake, Ca for a geo steam pipeline. Supposed to be 1104 code, but I didn't think any steam line was 1104 rather all b31-3. Any who keep your fingers crossed, this will put me closer to being able to relocate to Wyoming like I've been planning. Thanx again aevald,
    Mav
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Tryin to stay on the edge!