Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Sharing some good news..with a little twist
- - By new tito (***) Date 08-30-2007 19:28
To any that had read a previous post of mine describing the severe lack of management support regarding quality.......it seems the tables have turned...somewhat in my favor.

A few months ago, the shop manager resigned.  He was the one that was buddy buddies with every swingin' **** in the shop, and the one that gave me problems because when his welder through a fit about my rejects, he never told him anything.  So, we ended up getting a new shop manager that at the moment seems to support everything that QC should be doing.  Before it was "the book says what?  I dont care, oh well."  Now it's  "if that's what the book says, then that's what we need to do."  Mind you, this isn't only welding we're dealing with, there are company standards that deal with the actual product we put out.  Welding is only a small part of it.  So, now shop management support is there.

Well, if you remember the welder, other employees called him "king", becasu that was the attitude he had.  Last week he gave his resignation and tomorrow was to be his last day.  Today he finished a vessel and called me for final inspection.  The only thing I found was a small indication that appeared to have a bit of slag trapped in it.  I pointed it out to him, and as I was still standing there, he grabbed the grinder and went to town on it.  Absolute zero respect for the fact that I hadn't moved.  I basically told him that was F'd up and he said "it doesn't matter".  So I went to the bossman and told him.  Sad to say, he didn't immidiately do anything.  All he said was to let him finish the vessel and he'll be gone tomorrow.  Personally, I was hoping that he'd tell him to get lost, but, it's business....got to get the work finished (sarcasm).  Anyway, as I headed out to lunch I noticed the "king ding-a-ling" had his truck backed up and loading his stuff.  Good God was I happy.  I have never in my life worked with such a piece of poop as this guy was.  I've worked with some real a-holes, but he took the cake by a long shot.  We only had two certified certified welders, and the other guy was a real good guy to work with, but, he was like "king-dong's" little brother of sorts.  So, he followed in the steps of his "senior" welder.  Damn shame too.

So, here the twist part.  Looks like things are ok?  Well they are, but what really bothers me now is that our company has had a major restructuring of the entire organization.  Where did QC end up.....under the shop manager!!!!  Not out to the side and equal to the shop manager, but under him now.  What's sad is that these decisions came from big wig execs.  What does that show if senior management thinks that QC should work under production?

So, in conclusion, things are looking alot better as far as my workplace situation, but the long term.....I have'nt a clue!!!!
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 08-30-2007 21:06
being under shop management, seems like it would make it difficult to get or retain any company certifications (AISC,...)
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 08-30-2007 21:28
We only have the ASME "U" and NBIC "R" stamps, and I mentioned it to my AI a few weeks ago and got a simple smug look.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-31-2007 01:36
Every ASME shop I've been involved with had QC/QA reporting to an officer of the company and they were always independent of production or manufacturing. It should be interesting at the next audit.

Al
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-31-2007 10:14 Edited 08-31-2007 10:16
it may be eaiser to work with the crew now that the major drama queens are out of the way but you still must maintain your position on quality...its good or its not...enforce the code you have to work with and be vigilant...you are doing that company a favor whether they relize it or not.   One of the very best inspectors/QC I ever had the pleasure to deal with was in a vessel shop....he made no bones about anything this is the code...this is the print...make it so.  I liked dealing with that far more then dealing with guys who had (scuse me) no balls and catered to delivery times and argued with the company doing the kodacks.  Be firm and mean what you say....you will get respect with time and the right things will happen.  You never know you might get a welder or two trying to help make it all so...like I tried to help this man make the shop meet requirements...even tho he did not neeed the help.     I am still trying to get him to qualify out to go into aircraft work where I am....I respect the man cause he stands by his ruler period.

Edit  By the way  I am proud for you TITO that you did not cave in and leave...you stuck it out...GOOD for you man!!!!!!!!
Parent - - By JA (**) Date 08-31-2007 12:29
you should have taken that grinder from him and turned him into a "queen".........
Parent - By new tito (***) Date 08-31-2007 13:13
If I didn't have a wife and kids......I'd be in prison right now!!!!  :)

Al - It is my belief that companies that don't really give a crap list their org chart to show QC is not under production, but in reality the production manager will still get away with what he thinks he needs to to get the job done.  Companies will do what they need to to look good on paper.  I have only started feeling this way with my current employer and know not all companies are like this.  On the other hand, as far as actual organization, there is no requirement to have QC seperate from the shop  according to ASME.  As long as the vessels get built in accordance with the code and to the AI's satisfaction, who is ASME to say who QC should work for.  I have had a vendor that lost their QC inspector, and the welding foreman had to play dual roles.  Not against the law so to speak, but I sure did pay closer attention to detail with that fabricator.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not justifying or arguing, as I fully believe QC should be 100% separated from production, but the sad state is, senior management doesn't see it that way.

Tommyjoking - I like to think I'm like the inspector you describe.  Don't know if I am, but I try to be like that as best as I can.  As far as getting respect, that was never, ever going to happen with that welder, the old shop foreman, or even my old boss.  They are way more concerned with completing the job, and doing thier own thing without having QC come double check work.  It took a lot to comes to grip with, but I know now that I was hired to simply fill a position thet corporate QC said had to be filled.  Not a single person here at the time knew anything about the principals of "quality control", and most remaining employees still don't.  Is that my fault?  Hell no, not when management does not push he importance of quality, and no one on the floor accepts or even understands the need for it.  It seems to be getting better, but like I said, we'll see.  I will find out in the future if it was worth sticking out or not.  
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Sharing some good news..with a little twist