Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / mini/micro TIG
- - By peterk Date 08-31-2007 13:50
Hi All
I am looking for a mini/micro TIG (or any other process) welder that is capable of creating a weld bead width of 0.25mm - 0.5 mm.
Please let me know if you know of anything capable of creating such welds.
Thank you
Peter
peterkwapinski@imsready.com
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 09-01-2007 06:53
Co2 Lasers can create any width, depth weld you would care to have and do it to tolerences around .005 (inches) with consistent materials  ...I do welds all the time with widths at .035 (inches) and depths about the same with a standard tig on ss and carbon steels.
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 09-01-2007 13:15
Tommyjoking

I have been waiting to see tha Holiday Inn Expres mantra applied to welding or welders.  I have been living in Holiday InnExpresses for about three years, while I am on the raod!
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 09-01-2007 13:30
In the past, (before I could count my heartbeat by watching my hand bob up and down) I have done GTA welding at 2 to 4 amperes with very small diameter Tungstens (Specially ground, very expensive, Tungstens).  I used to weld very thin parts under a magnifier. 

Based on my experience, I do not think it is possible to get any GTA bead width as small as 0.030 much less 0.010. 

However, now that I have raised my hat in the air on this, it will be interesting to see who is going to shoot at it. 
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-01-2007 13:42
The welding journal is running adds with a picture of a GTAW weld around the hole on a hypodermic needle or something similar..

I always thought I had a pretty nice signature bead... but I'm with Joe on this if the welding is manual.

As an aside... I have always heard about welding aluminum foil and gum wrappers.  Now I do pop cans for practice but how do you weld foil or gum wrappers?!?!   

Lets hear some stories.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 09-01-2007 17:51
stories...gauntlets?  LOL    Ok I will have to admit that I will have to pull out some calipers and seriously measure what I am talking about on the above post.  When we do .018 ss the welds are very small ...but again I should measure before spouting off bout it.  

How many people have yall pulled the razor blade trick on....welded edge to edge  .....of course its just a trick its not that hard....that bead width is pretty small.   Now try to do a fillet weld edge to edge....thats more than a trick its pretty dang hard...guy at work has a nice looking one in his toolbox...I am still trying to duplicate it from time to time.    I will do some measuring ...if I am way off or wrong I will post back the results.....if I am right I will send you a coupon if ya like.

Joe that hand shaking worries me a lot ....if I ever get that going on I probably wont keep this job very long after.   Lawerence I have always heard the same on foil and gum wrappers etc.  I have yet to see it...apparently that welder is a busy guy and he is always somewhere else when you hear about it..lol.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-01-2007 18:07
Joe and Tommy

About whole hand shaking thing....

Call it *Oscillation*  and increase your hourly rate.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 09-01-2007 18:17 Edited 09-01-2007 18:42
Hello Tommy, I maintain a few simple rules with regards to making small and consistent welds on thin materials: if you can see it(even if you need to double up the magnifiers), if the fit on the parts is held to a gap of no more than .002" or so, if it is absolutely clean and free of any burrs, if you have a very stable and precise power source capable of really low amperage delivery, if you are able to use a heat sink of some sort, and as I believe was also mentioned, if you can hold a very steady and consistent arc length, you can likely make those very small and difficult welds. I certainly am not a non-believer, if anything I am an envious one. Regards, Allan
Parent - - By awill4x4 (**) Date 09-02-2007 06:14 Edited 09-02-2007 06:17
Lawrence, funnily enough I just saw this done on Youtube today on a link from another welding site. I think it's Ron Covell? doing the welding. Here's the link  http://youtube.com/watch?v=q2_nfY-kkAY It would be a great party trick or perhaps a little bet between friends lol.
Regards Andrew from Oz
Parent - - By jd369 (**) Date 09-04-2007 19:27
Weld Logic makes a nice power source for micro welding.
www.weldlogic.com.
I have used their power sources in the past for micro welding on die repairs for tool steel. Very precise arc starting and low end is excellent. They are pricey but very good.
Jim
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 09-04-2007 19:58
I used Weldlogic to make some titanium edge flange welds on .002" sheet metal.  The weld bead width was slightly over .004".
Weld Logic is probably the best for tiny TIG arc control.  Of course there is always plasma needle arc too if you want to get small.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 09-04-2007 20:23
Just got to work......Ok now let me remove my foot from mouth  LOL  (dangit it looked pretty small)

Using .020 347 filler  .040 super sharp tungsten the welds are  ranging from .065 to .075 on butt joints ...ok I was way off.
Parent - - By microfusionweld Date 09-08-2007 04:01
    Here are a few pics of some work I did on a Weldlogic. 

Thanks
Dan
Attachment: DSCN0014.jpg (481k)
Attachment: IMG_1793.jpg (737k)
Attachment: new5012.jpg (426k)
Attachment: old015.jpg (389k)
Parent - - By jd369 (**) Date 09-08-2007 13:06
Nice welds Microfusionweld, what set up are you using (microscope etc.). The weld logic power sources are the best I have ever used for fine work.
Jim
Parent - By microfusionweld Date 09-08-2007 15:06
   Jim,

For welders I have a Weldlogic PA10, WeldlogicPulsarcc 50, Pro-Fusion Dual Arc 80 and a Lincoln Precision Tig 275. As far as scopes I have a Leica MZ6 with several sets of eyepieces. Wild 20X,Canon 10X,Nikon 10X,and Leica 10X Also have a Nikon SMZ scope. What type of work are you into. The Weldogic units are great. My only concern with them is service is very poor. What type of work are you into?

Thanks

Dan
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 09-08-2007 21:12
I don't know much about it, but one thing that might be worth checking into is the Honeywell hand-held laser.

http://www.honeywell.com/sites/aero/technology/services.htm
Parent - - By jd369 (**) Date 09-09-2007 13:36
Hi Dan
I work in aerospace right now but I used to work at a mould and die repair shop where we used the weld logic machines extensively for micro work. We aren't doing anything as fine as what you are doing currently so we are using the Miller Dynasty 300's, they work well for our purposes. Love those welds you posted, very nice indeed.
Jim
Parent - By jd369 (**) Date 09-09-2007 13:38
I've seen that handheld laser, Liburdi was doing some developement work with them here in Canada. I didn't get to see it fully operational but I did see the set up. We are looking into this for possible braze repairs on our R+O parts.
Jim
Parent - By weldingmachine Date 09-24-2007 09:32
Our company could offer the the mini tig welder and some other mini welders,welcome to visit our website: http://www.myproducts.com.cn
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / mini/micro TIG