Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / what to do in seattle???
- - By BMason (*) Date 08-31-2007 14:37
i'm headin' out to seattle at the end of sept. for my cwi sem. and exam....
gonna go a couple days early to see the sights...
anybody got any can't miss suggestions?
i plan on taking the 3hr whale watching tour, and of course the underground, experience music project, space needle, jimi hendrix grave, and i want to check out the fremont area.....
once i see it written down...not sure a couple of days will be enough....
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-31-2007 14:46
Try catching a fast ferry to Victoria Island and spending the day there, its beautiful! <Native Seattlite here>
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 08-31-2007 15:17
It is hard to go wrong with a trip into Canada, If nothing else we got some raelly good beer.
Parent - - By Bob Garner (***) Date 08-31-2007 15:39
Check out Pike Place Market while you wait for the ferry.
Or check out the troll under Fremont Avenue bridge.

Bob
Parent - - By BMason (*) Date 08-31-2007 15:56
troll????????????????????

i've heard of pike place market...
don't they throw fish there?
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-01-2007 03:37
Pikes place yes they do throw fish. I worked out there for 10 months in 01. Got hit in the head by a flying chunk of Tuna.
Parent - - By BMason (*) Date 09-01-2007 10:27
i hope that you didn't get hurt...

but thats pretty funny....
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-01-2007 14:57
More embarassing than anything. You can imagine the comments I recieved over that.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 09-03-2007 03:15
THAT explains a lot! :)  (Sorry but as stated before - sometimes I just can't pass up an opportunity - even if it IS late.)
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-03-2007 18:34
:) I've never been accusing of dealing from a full deck.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 09-01-2007 16:26
Don't pass up the dungeuness crab - it's the best
Parent - - By BMason (*) Date 08-31-2007 15:59
i thought about victoria island... it sounded real nice but i didn't think i would have time for 2 ferry trips before the sem started of sunday....
my flight arrives late thursday night so i will only have fri and sat for tourist stuff.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-31-2007 16:10
Well, then go right down to the Piers and catch a ferry to anywhere, hard to go wrong!  If ya want to see mountains and Bill Gates place, get on I-90 headed east, the mountains are only about an hour from downtown (depending on traffic!).
Parent - - By BMason (*) Date 08-31-2007 16:47
can u see mount ranier form any where close??

is Bill Gates place worth the time?

is there any place where the highway splits the ocean and mounts?
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-31-2007 17:24
I've only seen Gates house while it was under construction, and then it was from an airplane... seemed to take up 1/4 of the entire island.  My advice would be (if you have a car) take the ferry to Paulsbo, and drive for an hour or so, you'll be close to the Olympic mountain range.  Mt. Raineer is within 45 minutes drive from Seattle and not too bad of drive... you can get right up to it in an hour or so... take the Paradise exit though because if you take the other one you'll end up on a logging road... up on the mountain.
Parent - - By BMason (*) Date 08-31-2007 18:33
thanks for the info...
those sound like some great things to check out...

i should have booked my flight and hotel for another weeks stay.

looks like i will have a busy couple of days
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-31-2007 18:36
enjoy, no matter how much, or how little you're able to do, I think you'll like Seattle!  By the way, if your hotel is downtown, you could always take in the underground city tour, starts at the Blue Banjo in Pioneer Square but it is, in my opinion, way over-rated...
Parent - By BMason (*) Date 08-31-2007 20:21
it sounds like i will be glad i chose seattle... my company told me they didn't care where i went for my cwi exam...and i have never been west of missouri...so i narrowed it down to sacramento, portland, reno and seattle... seattle sounded like the place that i would like the best.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-31-2007 18:47
Some of the best Oysters on the planet in that area...  All the different islands and inlets have different types of oysters... Sample platters are out of this world... The water is very clear.. Go out on a pier and watch the crabs 30 feet below.
Parent - - By BMason (*) Date 08-31-2007 20:14
my hotel is near the airport... i think it is estimated to be about 12 mi from downtown, but i will have a rental car...
i have been looking forward to the underground tour... even if it turns out to be a let down, its something i can't pass up.
as far as oysters go i'll have to pass...i have never aquired a taste for them.
the pier sounds pretty cool, i will definitely check it out...
Parent - By UCSB (**) Date 08-31-2007 21:33
The underground tour is ---- well--- ok. I enjoyed the history brief more then the tour.

Roger
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-01-2007 00:20
Ummmmmmmm, well one thing you won't have ANY problems finding in hotels near the airport is... well, professional ladies, lol!!!!!!!!
Parent - By BMason (*) Date 09-01-2007 10:41
lol!!!!!bmason checking to see if he can get reimbursement on enterainment receit
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-01-2007 03:39
I believe it was the bremerton ferry.. Had a real good view of Mt Ranier.
Parent - - By rebekah (**) Date 09-05-2007 13:55
Bremerton Ferry is the one with the excellent view of MT Ranier and it was quite striking.  I just came from there, working on an installation on Bangor, but I didnt have any time for sights.  Enjoy.

(Ill be sure not to call myself a "professional" in the future ;-)!)
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-05-2007 16:19
Vashon Island has a striking view as well and is a little "friendlier" upon reaching the other side!  Rabekah... You don't need to worry about that, I'm sure we're all of the opinion you're not selling your handiworks around the airport!!!  ;-)
Parent - - By UCSB (**) Date 08-31-2007 21:32
Take a ride up to Snoqualmie, stop in at the Snoqualmie Brewery and enjoy a good oatmeal stout. Tell Pat "Hi"

Roger
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-01-2007 00:21
Snoqualmie would be a very nice trip but this time of year I think its true beauty might not be as good as other times of the year.
Parent - By BMason (*) Date 09-01-2007 11:20
from the snoqualmie website, it looks like it would be a nice place to visit any time of year
Parent - - By BMason (*) Date 09-01-2007 11:21
how about the weather???????????
should i expect a lot of rain end of sept----begining of oct?
cold?
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-01-2007 17:00
Hello Brian, if you are into planes at all there is the Boeing Museum of Flight, not too far from SeaTac, it has quite a few interesting points to it. Safeco Field is right in the area as well along with the SeaHawks Stadium. As far as the weather goes you will have two choices, Liquid Sunshine and Dry Sunshine, but at least there is plenty of greenery. If you have any interest in underwater welding at all there is the Divers Institute on Lake Washington, they would probably be more than willing to give you a tour and answer questions if you have any interest in that area. You mentioned that you might be visiting the Space Needle, if you go there in the evening you will likely be able to look out over the shipyards and piers and see plenty of activity as far as carbon arcing and welding, I found it particularly interesting to watch someone running the carbon arc a couple hundred feet in the air and see the showers of sparks cascading toward the water. Everyone has given you great suggestions for things to see and do. Enjoy your trip to the Pacific Northwest and good luck on your testing. Best Regards, Allan
Parent - - By BMason (*) Date 09-02-2007 11:03
thanks for the good luck wishes...and thanks to everyone for the trip tips...
it sounds like i made the right choice for exam cities.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 09-06-2007 14:06
If it's raining in Seattle and you're stuck at the hotel, here's a few things you can do to help pass the time.

Rearrange your room and turn everything upside down
Stand on your head and watch tv
Put leg warmers on all the furniture
Read the phone book backwards and correct typos that aren't there
Write a book about how to write a book
Interview your feet.  If they refuse to talk, send them to obedience school
Debate politics with a fern in the lobby
Go to the bar and ask for a Molotov cocktail
Use your best pick-up lines on the cigarette machine
Paint racing stripes on the ice machine
Make out with yourself.  Use mace if you get too frisky
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-06-2007 14:21
I would venture to guess that Scott has tried each and every activity that he has listed and can vouch for the entertainment value in each. NBL, Scott :-)
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 09-06-2007 14:33
Yes, and let me warn you.  I don't recommend one getting too frisky with ones self.  I had gotten to third base with myself and I was heading for home when at that very moment It occurred to me that I had gone just a little too far, but at the same time, I was not willing to stop, and I was forced to mace myself. 
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-06-2007 14:40
TMI Scott, TMI.....Hahahahaha!
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / what to do in seattle???