Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welder Qualification Tests
- - By astleyd Date 08-31-2007 16:56
I seem to remember reading somewhere that Ultrasonic Testing can be used to test weld coupons for welder qualification. Which of the codes allow this?
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 08-31-2007 18:11
None
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-31-2007 18:38
Hey Joe

Aren't there some circumstances when production welds can be tested with NDT methods in order to quailfy welders.... Now those would not be sectioned coupons we think about in the traditional sense but, isn't that a viable option that some folks use.... Also I don't know if UT would ever be the non-destructive choice.

I wonder if that's not what this guy is thinking of.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 08-31-2007 18:47
I beleive UT can be used for performance quals under ASME Section IX, let jon weigh in here, as long as its not short circuit GMAW, which is the case with RT. RT can be used with such limitations, it doesn't even have ot be production welds. I just don't remember if UT is included.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-31-2007 19:25
js55, in checking QW-100 in total, the only NDE I can find that may be used in lieu of mechanical testing is RT.  Of course, that is NOT saying that the constructing codes may not require a UT in addition...
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 08-31-2007 20:23
Thanks jon. I just couldn't remember about UT for sure. Thats alright though, its gettin close to Beer:30.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-31-2007 21:41
D1.1 allows either RT or UT prior to mechanical testing when qualifying the PQR coupon. Some people also use the term "Performance Qualification Report" (PQR) instead of Welder Performance Test Report (WPTR) or Welder Qualification Test Report (WQTR), so it is easy to get confused.

Best rgard - Al
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-01-2007 01:37
ASME Code Case 2235 got it's start in 1996. This code case involves UT in lieu of Radiography. Rev 2 included TOFD and > 1/2" thickness and so on. The most recent revision of this code case that I have read is dated Oct, 11 2005 which is rev 9 or 2235-9 A little bit after approval dates for the 06 addenda. It covers Section I PW 11, Section VIII Div 1 para UW-11(a), VIII Div 2 table af 241 and section XII TE 230.1. In all but one case, it requires automated. The sole exception to the AUT part is for phased array which goes up to a minimum of 1".
I've heard tale that another one is out now as of 07 but haven't laid eyes on it yet, however I've been told it is a mod for TOFD requirements in relation to ref blocks and planar.
I've also been told that one is in the breach for Section IX, but it is still in committee, so at this point in time, UT is "not" allowed for Section IX quals to my knowledge. (ref QW 302.2 and QW 304.

As for AWS Section 4 part C para 4.19.1.1 substitution of RT for guided bend test. No allowance for UT there either.

In short, It's not allowed at this point in time. It should be, it's a much better exam.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 08-31-2007 22:43
Lawrence

As an inspector, I have had a number of people try to get away with it, but I have never seen a code or military specification or commercial recommended practice that allowed it.
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 09-01-2007 00:08
A few years ago I had UT's being performed on a job and asked if they would UT a pipe coupon for welder qualification and the NDE/CWI said it was not allowed by code. ASME IX and B31.1
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welder Qualification Tests