Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Acetone in regulator
- - By devo (***) Date 08-31-2007 18:11
Just started into a new bottle of acetylene(40 cu.ft.) cutting with a No. 2 tip and about two minutes into it I get acetone blowing out of the tip.  I know the 1/7 rule, but I have cheated it in the past by cutting for short periods and letting the tank catch up.  Looks like it bit me in the donkey this time.  I immediately shut down and bled everything off, disassembled the torch, hose and regulator, then blew shop air through everything to clean out the evil goo.  I am not a gambling man, so it looks like a new regulator and 80 ft. tank are in my future, however I have a question.  Can the regulator be rebuilt, or is it a paperweight?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-31-2007 18:43
Devo

Best to have a phone talk with your supplier who has people who are qualified to repair regulators.

Having said that;  Acetone evaporates quickly, leaves almost no residue, and is not corrosive to the brass and stainless parts inside your regulator... They might want to do an inspection or cleanup.. But I doubt the thing is scrap..

Let us know what you were advised by your repair guy.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-31-2007 21:44
Most regulators can be repaired/rebuilt when the diaphram pops or for other reasons.  The cost is usually a fraction of the cost of a new regulator.

Al
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 09-05-2007 14:07
[deleted]
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-05-2007 18:57
I don't believe I would take a chance on rebuilding the regulators myself. I would take it to a welding supplier and let them send it out to be rebuilt.

Oxygen regulators would really give me pause before I attempted to rebuild it because of the dangers involved with working with pure oxygen under pressure. Any hydrocarbon residue left in the body of the regultor could easily turn it into a hand grenade.

The cost of rebuilding the regulators by a "professional" makes it fool hardy to attempt it yourself unless you are qualifed to do so by proper training and you have the proper tools and materials for high pressure service.

Good luck - Al
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-05-2007 19:12
Thanks for saying that Al
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 09-05-2007 19:46
Average cost to rebuild and clean gas apparatus to like new condition is $20-38 each regulator or torch.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-05-2007 20:19
That's a bargan price in anyone's book.

Al
Parent - By KSellon (****) Date 09-06-2007 18:27
I've been rebuilding/repairing for 21 years now, and just can't see how some are charging $65-80.

Sometimes my eagerness to educate overlooks the fact that gas apparatus repairs should only be performed by trained individuals. Thanks Al. I see so many repairs come in with pipe dope on all the threads or the valves and t-handles sprayed down with WD40 that I am surprised 1/2 of the operators are alive to bring them in.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Acetone in regulator