Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / d1.1 welder certification retest
- - By ctacker (****) Date 08-31-2007 22:34
how much "further training or practice" is needed for a retest, the way i read the  code is you can give a welder a paper stating how he can improve his welding and have him sign it for proof of further training then let him retest,that doesnt seem like a very good way of leaving that option available,that is what happened to someone my boss let retest 3 times before passing,and now most of his welding has to be repaired!

Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-01-2007 04:31
Your boss is willing to pay for the repairs.... Thats why he is the boss  :)

Save the sour grapes for something you can control

Bad welders cannot be hidden.... The guy will get better or will cause your outfit to go bankrupt...  Bosses decide how long is long enough to wait for improvement.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 09-01-2007 04:48
my boss i talked about is the lowest man on the management chain of command in a 100 mil a year company, my sour grapes are that he is costing us bonuses,that wasnt what the post was about, just seems like aws would put something like "at least 8 hours of  additional training" or something to not leave it wide open
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-01-2007 12:08
When AWS is in control.... Like with CWI designations they do put a time minimum for training, but AWS also does all the testing... If you fail the CWI exam twice you need to provide proof of 40 hours of training before you can take it again.

It sounds like a good idea... but I think we ought to be thankful AWS does not take such authority in welder performance qualification.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-05-2007 10:41
Lets say I take a fillet weld test. You do the macro and one leg is 1/64th undersize. Do I spend 8 hours to be trained ? If in your judgement as an inspector, the guy is not doing acceptable work, let it be known and carry on if those that have the ability don't do anything about it.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 09-05-2007 23:26 Edited 09-06-2007 04:31
I am not an inspector,as of yet, and i should have made the original post more clear,I was talking about a 3g on 1" plate-FCAW-G,seems everyone has fillet test on thier minds.
Another thing our previous Inspector failed to do was have him test 2 plates.the guy failed one,failed another and another then passed,never passing 2 plates!
I just think its wrong!
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-06-2007 02:22
I think there is some judgement leeway for how much training is required. Tying it into a specific amount could cause problems . There are just many variables that could come into play when someone has to decide on HOW MUCH training is required.

The two tests back to back is a way I like in some situations.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 09-03-2007 13:03
Ctacker

I have given hundreds of "Fillet Break" welder qualification tests.  I do this while acting as a consultant to many companies, who need to get their welders certified "right away".  They don't want to spend the money for Radiography or take the time for guided bend testing.  In order to save money and time, and just so they can have "Some type of certs" my customers think the 'Fillet Break" test is the cat's meow!

So, the plates are cut "in House" and on the appointed day the whole shop and all their friends shows up to get "Certified".  This test is always given and broken in the shop.  I also provide a WPS for the welders to follow, and give them instruction on the hold points, the use of power tools and how the coupon has to be tack welded together.  I also tell them how the welded coupons will be tested after they weld them.

However, the prevailing attitude is "I have been welding for ten years. I'll make your 5/16 inch fillet weld.  that test is simple - No Problem.  Let's get to it.  I can do this with my eyes closed!  (I actually love this attitude.  It means that I will be employed for several more days!)  So, after inspecting the fit-up and setting the welding machine amperage ranges with my calibrated clampmeter, I watch the first victim make his weld for the record.

After the ends of the welded coupon are cut off, I perform a Macro-etch test, which always amazes the welders.  Of course they all fail to get penetration to the root on the Macro etch, and they have failed the test.  Oh Shit -Oh Dear!  I then make them break the center coupon specimen by hand, using a cheater bar or beam turner.  This is usually done very easily, and I show them where they didn't melt to the root, and the slag is left in the re-start.  They can clearly see a slag line where they failed to melt to the root by 1/32 inch!  There is no argument - they all can see it.

OK! So, now they take two more re-tests, both of which must pass.  Uually one or both of these re-tests also fail for the same reasons.  Now they need "further training or practice".  Most times the employer needs this certification for his current "contract".  So, my cotract is extended.

I often wind up giving the welders the "further training or practice".  Then the next day or so, I usually give them a re-test.  This time they also follow the WPS that I provide. The "I've been welding for ten years" bravado has disappeared.  Many still do not pass, but what a difference when it comes time to break the middle specimen.  Now it takes a lot more effort to break that coupon.  That 1/32 inch more "penetration" makes the coupon twice as hard to break!  I then ask the welders to think of all the buildings they have fabricated over the years that have these "weak welds" in them.

My interpretation of 'further training or practice' lets me give specific welding instruction to the individuals based on my evaluation of the way they weld.  To me, just getting them to follow the amperage setting in the WPS I provide, may be considered "further training or practice".

Joe Kane
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-05-2007 02:09
I have to agree with everything you said, even the welder's comment. The one I got was, "This is a waste of time. I'm going to pass this with one try!"

My experience runs counter to what the codes permits. That is, I have had welders pass the groove test and then fail the fillet test, but I haven't had a welder pass the fillet test and then fail the groove test.

I like the test the Canadians give. It looks like the "alternate" fillet test we have in D1.1. You know, the square groove with the 15/16-inch root opening with a backing bar. The welder has to weld the two fillets in the corners just like the AWS test. The fillets are visually evaluated and then if they are accepted, the remainder of the groove is welded just like a single V-groove.

The one test evaluates the ability to make proper fillet welds and a groove weld all in one shot.

Considering the number of welders that fail the fillet weld test, I believe it is one test every structural welder should have to pass.

I'm testing some structural welders now. A simple fillet weld made in the 2F position. This is their second day and not one welder passed yet after each has had several tries.

Finally this afternoon they ganged up on me and said it couldn't be done. The rod was bad, it' the wrong type, the moon is wobbling, and so on. So I told them they were probably right. Who knows, maybe I can't even pass this test! I grabbed my hood out of the van and ran a bead. Then we broke it. Perfect, nearly 1/16 inch of penetration beyond the root.

One of the welders said it had to be a fluke! Again I agreed with him. I told him, "Hell, I haven't run stick stainless in nearly ten years and I'm only an inspector, so it must be a fluke." I ran another plate with the same results, perfect fusion beyond the root.

It got really quite for about thirty seconds and then it was, "How did you do that?"

"Welding class starts Thursday morning Boys!" I don't give lessons or training until they ask for it.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 09-05-2007 02:21
I havent had the experiance from a QC point of view,but i can say I've seen alot of good welders fail the fillet test, I was one of those guys that said i could do it with eyes closed,and DID,but that was the way I had tacked everything for years,turning head and weld!
I couldnt understand why most everyone else failed using thier hoods! am starting to see why now!
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 09-05-2007 06:13
Pride goes before the fall ....I think that is especially true in welding. 

We have a specified amount of training time on test failure...if I remember right its 30 days.....if you blow that you get another 30 days  but you have to retest all coupons and all alloy groups all over again.  You blow that you are disqualified permanantly.   And I agree too many miss the throat on fillets no matter the process.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / d1.1 welder certification retest