Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / overhead plate test
- - By elliott (**) Date 09-02-2007 12:03
how it going everybody, I hope everybodies haveing good labor day weekend.i need some help on the overhead 1" test plate no matter how I stand under the plate i still cant seem to see what is happening with the puddle until I get about 6 to 8 passes on it. Any help would be graet as to how you guys do it.I did pass the vertical test and just want make sure that I have complete fusion all the way through before I take the overhead plate test again. thanks
elliott
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 09-02-2007 14:41
Hello elliot, glad to hear that you're still hard at it. Don't give up and keep on practicing. I'm a little short on time at the moment but if my memory serves me correctly there is a previous thread that covers this topic in depth. So try using the search feature and see if you can find it. Regards, Allan
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 09-02-2007 18:48
Stand slightly off to the side at the end where you will terminate your bead.
Parent - - By DWCO (*) Date 09-25-2007 04:45
Elliott, Great to hear that you are practicing!!  How I did mine (years ago) I would sit backwards in a chair that i could lock my legs under the back rest. Bend over backwards and I would have a great view of the whole root!!  Be extremly careful to position yourself so you do not get in the way of any material falling from your weld. I fastened my coupon the the side of a welding table with some angle. made it just high enough that I could lean my arm holding the gun on the side of the table too. I was sitting parallel to the side of the table. Root was also parallel to the table. Standing is a PITA.. If you must stand position the coupon high enough so you can lean, brace or what ever it takes to maintain a steady pass. Be comfortable!!

My process was FCAW-G. Use the run off tabs to your benefit!!  Further, mind the heat that you are putting into the plate. If it gets too hot things may start to sag. Clean after every pass, Grind if you suspect an inclusion or other discontinuity. Most folks that took my test failed in the last few passes because they got "get done itis"  Relax and take your time!! There is no time limit to the test.

Elliot, I wish you the best in your task... Let us know how things work out for you!!
Parent - By nevadanick (**) Date 11-04-2007 04:23 Edited 11-04-2007 04:35
You cant get a grinder out on any weld test ive ever taken, other than the prep before you weld on it.
I believe the idea behind that is since you are in a "perfect" environment (test booth), you should be able to weld perfectly, that way when reality comes around and your hanging off your a**,  laying in the mud, in high winds, ect. you can still lay it down, and if you have to get a grinder out and fix it in the field thats ok, but not in the shop.
For the overhead plate i found it fairly easy to set the plate up just 6-8 inches or so above the top of your head so you are looking straight down the v-groove and the back side of your electrode as you weld,  stand slightly off to one side when running wire to help see around the gun.
Parent - - By An Chao Date 10-07-2007 05:38
I am new here. I come from China. I studied automation in my college time 2 years ago. But now I am in charge of welding machine's export and translating which is far from my major.

I have a lot of friends who works in the U.S on welding. I love learning English and welding. Although I know I have a long time to go in the furture, and I cant understand most of your saying, I will still try my best to learn and make a bridge between Chinese welding industry and American welding industry.So I may need your help someday, even some tiny question. If that happened, dont laugh at me, my friend.ok?    :)
Parent - By Aspirate (**) Date 10-09-2007 23:17
Have no fear!  I have seen quite a few posts from people out of the U.S.
There are several worldwide members engineers, scientists, educators, researchers, welders, inspectors, etc. on here.
It's common to see someone translate another post so that most of us would understand.    
Parent - - By Aspirate (**) Date 10-09-2007 23:25
elliott,
By now, at least if you've passed vertical, you should be able to weld by just finding the edge of the puddle.
You do this on overhead, by tilting your head over and looking up. 

For example, If you're right handed, you'd be tilting your head to the right.
Try to position your head where your torch or rod (whatever you're welding with) is not blocking your view of that edge.
Parent - - By Mat (***) Date 11-06-2007 10:32
Funny story, I just did an overhead 7018 test at work that was X-rayed tonight (ish.)!  I won't know if it passed until later in the week (I'm hoping I'll find out tomorrow), but what I found was if you could see the front edge of the puddle, it'd go good.  Ideally, you'd want too see it front on, but coming towards yourself is an alternative.  You can tell a lot from the puddle how a weld will go.

The test I did wasn't hard, a "V" grove, back gouged too a "U" grove, but after every pass, I made sure that there was NO slag whatsoever left over.  If you burn it too cold, you're f*cked.  Overhead is the same as flat, more or less, except the heat goes up and the slag goes down.  Just my two cents!  :)
Parent - By Aspirate (**) Date 11-08-2007 00:29
With 7018, I guess it is possible to get away with the front edge, but when doing overhead root pass with 5p, there isn't as much you can view to insure cjp.
I'm old school and prefer paying attention to whats behind the rod and forming the weld.  Over time, you'll find that concentrating on the front is too close to the arc and bad for the eyes.
Yes, overhead is like flat, except for puddle tension, and probably requires twice the strength/stamina.  When rod angle on 7018 gets to an extreme "push" the more slag can get trapped,
and if you position your plate close above your head for good view, its easy to that. 
Parent - - By depjim Date 11-24-2007 04:27 Edited 11-24-2007 04:30
elliott

There is very little difference between flat and overhead weld progression. Just blank out the idea your looking up and weld it the same way you would if it were laying flat.
Much of the tricks you will learn in welding is how to fool you on brain. You've allready got a start on fooling yourself; since you have allready convinced yourself that it's OK
to be standing in a shower of melted metal and laughing with your friends about the burns you've recieved. Sort of like getting a "Purple Heart" medal in the Army.
  Jim
Welding Eng
Process Piping Eng
Piping Supt
Welding Instr
QA/QC Mgr
Welder Testing Insp
ASME lX certified Pipewelder
and a Partridge in a Pear tree.
Merry Christmas you all!
Parent - By Pylon00 Date 12-16-2007 00:18
I just finished taking my 1" Verticle & Overhead test plates today. I passed the 1" Verticle & Overhead in 02' but I haven't done any structural welding since 03' so i had to recertify. My verticle passed with no problems, but my first overhead actually failed. It didn't break, but there was a small fracture that was just over 1/8 of an inch. So I welded up another one and it passed.  I got burned up pretty good doiung the 2nd one because I had my nose stuck right in there to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

I forgot how tough that overhead test is on your shoulders & neck. (Having to do 2 probably didn't help matters.... =) )
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / overhead plate test