Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / beam to column moment connection
- - By joseph asturino (*) Date 09-03-2007 01:12
which is the proper weld sequence,,,,,,,top flange , web ,  then bottom flange,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,top flange ,  then bottom flange , web last,,,,,,,,,,,,,,web first , then top and bottom flange last.........??????
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 09-03-2007 02:03
All welds should be made in a sequence that will balance the applied heat of welding while the welding progresses

The welding sequence should be reasonably balanced between the web and flanges as well as the major and minor axis of the member
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-03-2007 03:35
I usually weld the flanges and then the web when doing moment connections in the field. As a matter of fact, rarely is the web welded, it is usually bolted; snug tightened, flanges welded, and web bolts fully tightened.

Good luck - Al
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 09-03-2007 03:44
been a while since I've done a Moment,but your right,webs are usually bolted!

I was just giving my self-study CWI course some homework and looking it up in the book,lol
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 09-03-2007 05:50
Sometimes the gap on the top (unfit) can be used to see the bottom weld if it is at the top of the column.
Also if you weld the top first and the bottom last you have to deal with the hot top flange. Not a bad thing when it is cold.

I mostly welded bottom, top and then chip slag for best production. Probably best for stress too.  Web was always bolted.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 09-03-2007 13:23
I agree that the bottom flange is usually welded first.  If you weld the top flange first, you will have all that dirt and spatter in your lower joint.  You will get tired welding the bottom joint, because you are not allowed to weld one side first.  You must weld all the way across the joint.  To do this you must change positions, which is more tiring.  The easier less tiring joint will be the top joint.  On some large flanges, like on High Rises, I have seen two to four welders doing both flanges simultaneously.  I know it is not quite the same, but large Jumbo Column splices are often made with two welders.  5 inch thick X 20 inch wide CJP welds using NR-311 usually take hundreds of passes, and the contractor has expensive cranes and other equipment on station.

When the web is to be welded, I have seen the GSN-1 (General Structural Notes - 1) require the web to be welded last.  This allows for weld shrinkage on the flange welds.
Parent - By joseph asturino (*) Date 09-03-2007 17:14
these connections have a drag plate , the one side of the web has a full pen on one side , and they want us to wrap the clip side on its 3 sides also,,,,,,,,the top flange backing bar is left in place with a 5/16 fillet on the colunm side , and the bottom flange backing bar is removed with a 5/16 reinforcing fillet added to that........
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / beam to column moment connection