Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Engine Flooding SA-200-F-163
- - By louieRD (**) Date 09-03-2007 13:30
I just recently dismantled the carburetor and cleaned it.  It was full of sediment.  I replaced it, re-checked everything, open the valve on the sediment bowl to feed it with fuel.  I tried starting the machine and it just kept flooding.  It turns over just fine, but isn't firing up.  I'm assuming it's because it's so flooded.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this?

Appreciate any help.
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 09-04-2007 01:46
Floats stuck, or hung up on the lip where the carb bolts together?
Parent - By Cole Welding (**) Date 09-04-2007 02:07
Check and see if needle is bent... if its very old you may have to put a kit in it...   you can get one a tractor supply...
Parent - - By louieRD (**) Date 09-04-2007 04:34
How do you fix that?  If it's stuck on the lip? Which it seems like that's what's going on.  Because it keeps dumping in fuel.  Because it seems like that could happen at any time.  This is getting frustrating.  But at the same time, I want to fix it right because this is my personal machine. I really can't afford to have this non-working.  I'm pulling my hair out.  I have no other option but to take this to a small engine repair man and have him rake me over the coals.

I would appreciate any input anyone may have.

LouieRD
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 09-04-2007 06:53 Edited 09-04-2007 07:03
If it seems like it's getting hung up, check the small pin that the floats piviot on and make sure it's installed right (ie holding both sides of the float)  Also make sure that the float arms that attach to the pin are not bent causing the float to stay up or down and not move freely.

Almost forgot:  when the float rises it should have a "finger" that pushes down in the center of the piviot area.  This finger should be attached to a piston like piece that has a pointed end.  This piston like piece is what actually regulates the fuel coming into the bowl.  It's common to loose that piston when you first take the carb apart.

I'm sure someone else will know the proper terminology for what I have just described.
Parent - By KSellon (****) Date 09-04-2007 19:27
Make sure the venturi is in properly. MDG is correct (see part #52). The best way to check to see if the float pin is seated properly is: with the carb allowing fuel to flow through, tap the "belly" of the carb a couple of times. If it stops running fuel your pin is not seated properly. If it keeps running then your floats or venturi are wrong. Here is a pic and breakdown of your carb. Marvel carb http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/navigator/OBSO_IMS/IM215.pdf

The venturi is #36 and sometimes the gasket will cause it to hang. If you removed #37 when you cleaned the carb, you may not have it tight enough.

A NEW Zenith replacement 13713 is $167.00
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 09-05-2007 07:53
Remove the bottom part of the carb.  There is somewhere, usually originating at the mouth of the carb, a vent to equalize the float bowl pressure to the air pressure outside.  If that is plugged the carb will flood no matter what the float condition is.  Spent hours finding that one once.  Remove the pin (#32 in the part breakdown provided by KSellon) that the float hinges on and remove the float (#31).  Careful that you don't lose the needle (the little thing at the bottom of assembly #52).  Shake the float and listen for sloshing.  Sloshing is bad and indicates that your float has sunk,  get a new one.  Reassemble the float and needle, sometimes the needle has a little wire bale that has to hook over a tab on the float.  The float should move freely throughout its range of motion.  Gently raise the float until you feel resistance.  The floats should be about horizontal at this time, if not carefully bend the float arm until they are.  This is approximate, there is actually a measurement from the carb to the top of the float to set it exactly but I don't know it's value.  Extinguish all fire for the next step (you should have done that at the beginning).  Hold a pan under the carb, open the fuel cutoff valve, fuel should come out, raise the float till you feel resistance, fuel should stop.  If it doesn't the needle and seat (assembly #52 should be replaced).  The needle and seat assembly is inexpensive and probably should be replaced anyway.  Reassemble.  Good luck.
Bill
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 09-05-2007 13:49
Marvel rebuild kit # K2033 $22.00 from AEI here in Oklahoma. Comes with gaskets, needle and a couple of the seats. 405-236-3551 ext 2. The float for a TSX979 Marvel carb is part# C85-148 $16.00 with the same company.
Parent - - By louieRD (**) Date 09-05-2007 14:46
I'm still having a problem getting my machine to fire over.  It's turning over and firing, puffing small puffs of gray smoke, but doesn't seem to catch and start up.  This was after jump starting with a car. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on why this might be happening?  I feel like I'm finally close to getting the machine running again.

I appreciate all the help given so far. 
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 09-05-2007 16:59
Weak coil, bad plug wires, dirty points.  Open up the distributor and check for good clean contacts.
Parent - - By louieRD (**) Date 09-06-2007 01:10
Thanks for your response.  I just put on new plug wires and distributor cap yesterday.  I actually had it running earlier this afternoon.   I tried starting it a few hours later and it turns over, but still doesn't fire up.  I tapped on the carburetor, re-checked all my connections and I just don't understand why it won't start again!! 
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 09-06-2007 18:20
What are the points gapped at?
Parent - - By Cole Welding (**) Date 09-07-2007 11:54
does it have a mag????
Parent - - By louieRD (**) Date 09-13-2007 00:17
it's a 1973 sa 200 (f163)  so yes, i got it to fire over and isolated the problem to the carberator and just today got my rebuild kit in the mail. so ive been tinkering with my other machine, stairing at my disassembled carb every night.Finally time to put it together! I thank everyone for ther responses , ive learned alot about that damned little marvel sheb carb .
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 09-14-2007 14:33
To save you further problems after assembly install a metal filter in the fuel inlet, like a Fram G22A. That way any debris in your fuel line doesn't immediately settle in your carb.

Here is a link that will help you further on your settings. 
Marvel with R57 idler   http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/navigator/OBSO_IMS/IM179G.pdf
or this one
  Marvel with auto idler  http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/navigator/OBSO_IMS/IM277.pdf

Good luck.
Parent - By SA-200 (**) Date 09-17-2007 01:40
Dont forget to check your air cleaner, they can fill up with gas when the carb floods. Set the float level to 1/4" measuring from gasket. Set mag points to .015 , Use Champion U16 or UD16 plugs gaped at .025
Parent - By pipeliner01 (**) Date 09-20-2007 15:18
I just rebuilt my marvel on my 47' and the zenith on my 56', the exact float measurements taken with the float attached to the top part of the carb, and the whole unit turned upside down, and with no gasket are:  Marvel-- .250" from the surface of the carb to the UNDERSIDE of the floats.  Zenith-- 1"+5/32" from the surface of the carb to the TOP of the floats.  Now these are the measurements that were provided with my rebuild kits, I know my explanation isn't too clear but if you buy a rebuild kit they explain it a little better than me, and if you're in a jam with a leaky float and you've found a hole/crack, u could drill a tiny hole, drain it, and re solder it up.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Engine Flooding SA-200-F-163