Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / FSS Ferrite Factor
- - By js55 (*****) Date 09-04-2007 17:40
I came across an old paper having to do with ferrite factors in ferritic stainless steels(similar in thinking to CE's in carbon steels). Can anybody offer some emperical support for the use of a factor or factors? Any experience with seeing these in specifications?
The factor I have in the paper I'm readng is: F = - 40(C + N) - 2Mn - 4Ni +Cr + 6Si + 8Ti + 4M0 + 2Al
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-04-2007 18:01
you could maybe drop Damian Kotecki or Chuck Meadows a note...
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 09-04-2007 18:44
Thanks jon. I'll do that.
I had a couple other fellas in mind too.
I was hoping I could get an industry cross section response from folks that are currently involved in fabricating with FSS's.
What sorta FF's on what particular alloys are being required of them etc.
I'm suspecting that FF's have gone by the wayside a bit-if indeed they ever were that popular-with super FSS's, due to reduced crack sensitivity but maybe not. And perhaps a lot of standard FSS's are still being spec't out there.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-04-2007 18:48
lol, just gotta say it js55, you are way too cool in a geeky kinda way, lol!!  ;-)
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 09-04-2007 19:39
LOL!!!  Somehow I know thats a compliment.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-04-2007 20:05
:) thats how it was meant!
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-04-2007 23:59
I'll preface this with my knowledge is limited on the matter. However; I understood that for FSS the FF wasn't as important as the proper balance of interstitial elements.
I understood that tungsten was added to FSS alloys to slow down the sigma and chi phases, but lowered the toughness as the associated precipitates are course in nature, aligning along the dendrite and grain boundaries. Nickel was added with the tungsten to balance this out, which by addition forces an increase in fine grain precipitates.
Therefore, ferrite factors are not so important with this, but rather the balance of tungsten nickel in the right quantities.
That's about the extent of information I have on file for the issue. If someone has information to the contrary, please let me know.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 09-05-2007 11:15
Gerald,
To my knowledge you are exactly right. And thanks for the input. Thats sorta the type of info I was looking for. I know with the newer SFSS's the FF would not be such issue, if even an issue at all, since cracking susceptibility has been minimized (take a look at the carbon content in the SFSS's). But I think there is still alot of the older standard type FSS's being spec't.
I was also suspecting that the FF idea probably evlolved into numerous FF's(similar to CE's), though I don't know for sure.

"If someone has information to the contrary, please let me know."......Me too. I think FSS's will find their way into more services as end users look for ways to save. Especially as they 'dial in' the metallurgy of these alloys, and realize that austenitics aren't required for more moderate corrosion applications.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / FSS Ferrite Factor