Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Starting a Welding Training Center
- - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-08-2007 12:44
I have had the desire to teach for quite awhile now. I get a great deal of enjoyment from sharing the things I have learned about welding over the years. The local schools here consist of a metal trades class at the high school level and and two community colleges withing 60 miles.

An article this week in the local paper stated that a meeting between "industry leaders" was held to address the "Welder Shortage" in the area and indicated that there was a shortage of 300 welders in the area. I was not at the meeting but it prompted me to strongly consider starting a training center. I have contacted the local development foundation that helps businesses get started and they have put me on the list for the next meeting and are sending me a list of available buildings (many at a never completed nuc plant) . I have had this idea for some years now as I was having no luck with the local high school getting the position for the metal trades instructor that had come open.

The whole idea has me very excited and I would very much like to help this area increase in the number of skilled employees that enjoy welding as a job.

I am just curious if anyone has any thoughts on starting a private type welding school. I am thinking also that in conjunction with the welding training I could be an accredited test facility and also provide welders as a contractor. If anyone has experience with a business plan for a training center/testing center I would be interested in talking with you.

Have a good day

Gerald
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-08-2007 15:24
Becoming an accredited test facility is a big project and will take a staff.

If you move forward I know I'll be willing to share anything.... From powerpoints to entire curriculum... Just say the word.
Parent - By d-on Date 09-25-2007 13:33
Your local welding supply houses will be a little help but they can get you in contact with their suppliers such as Miller, Hobart, ESAB and Lincoln. These companies are very concerned with the shortages of welders and can do some things to help. The local guy can do more for you than the supply house can, he/she also have many people who specialize in different aspects of welding who can help from time to time. All of the major welding companies are great resources for technical support and they are willing to help, it goes to the future of welding and a consumer base. The expectation is that you would do ALOT of work and they could help. They are also very good at publicizing the effort to help with visual exposure. Another source of interest would be your local businesses that employ welders. So develop a plan work with the welding "experts" and present your idea to businesses. Many will see the opportunity to get better training for their employees. You will need to show them what the cost would be and the return on their investment, this information is not hard to pull together. I have recently developed a training program in a company for welders, the idea took alot of time to grow in the minds of management but once we showed the level of quality and the reduction in repairs and warranty work we couldn't get it done fast enough. Then they wanted the same type of thing for the machinist, assembly people and all through the company. We trained 6 welders at a time and to set it all up in a corner of the plant was around 60k. The response from the welders was chilly at best starting out but once the first class went through and they told the others it wasn't hard to get them excited. It has been one of the best experiences in my professional career. So I say go for it! You can see the need and have a desire to fill the need and that will add up to success.
Parent - By Cecilweld Date 04-24-2018 23:38
Hi pipewelder1999,
I am in Sierra Leone where skilled labor is very scarce. Mining is one of the major activities and for short of skilled labor, foreign welders and plumbers are all what we have. I am interested in setting up a welding school to be able to provide locals to the mines. I am a mechanical engineer but see this as an entrepreneurial opportunity. Can you help me with setting up?
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Starting a Welding Training Center