Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / duplex to 316L
- - By kenwall Date 09-08-2007 20:19
We are giong to weld some 316L plates to duplex encast items using MMA. I think we should use a 309 electrode, can anyone advise please, thanks, Ken Wallace, Sellafield Nuclear power plant, Cumbria,U.K
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 09-08-2007 21:01
One possible problem with 309, is that if there is corrosion potential, depending on the environment, both of the base metals could be more corrosion resistant since the 316L has Mo in it, and duplex may or may not.  You really need to supply more details on the application if you want a educated answer.
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 09-09-2007 02:59
well mr. wallace welcome aboard. you've come to the right place, if you provide all the particulars you will get a very educated answer from this forum. There are some of the most educated and passionate welding personnel in the whole world here.

what is your position there at the plant? because as i've seen on here regularly that nuclear plants have the most stringent pqr/wps protocols, and unless you are the one developing the protocols, you should let the powers that be make those determinations.

(it is a nuclear facility i would assume they have people on staff that are very informed about such matters)

darren
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 09-09-2007 08:46 Edited 09-09-2007 08:48
darren,

pretty good point!

Besides the very interesting question Ken Wallace has asked and where I am devotional waiting for that some of the great ones will - additional to what Greg has already stated - respond and shed some light on it, I would sleep quite "calmer" by knowing you were right when assuming that a nuclear facility may have people who were informed about that... :-)

However, no offence, and I am excitedly waiting for what will come out here.

Best regards,
Stephan
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-09-2007 20:54
Darren/Stephen,

I would agree that the idea of a nuclear power plant asking welding questions on an open forum would be disturbing. They generally have some rather sharp individuals working at locations like that. I am hoping that was not what the gentlemen was asking for. I'll be very interested in know what the application is.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 09-11-2007 23:46
Not all nuclear power plants have bright people in the right spot.  One I dealt with were finally purchasing some superaustenitic castings after not being able to figure out why the HAZ kept cracking on 316L type castings that were sitting in stagnant seawater.  They blamed the welding technique.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-09-2007 17:12
As I recall Sellafield is a rather large complex comprising more than just commercial power reactors. They have a fuel facility, enrichment facilities, and other things.
One of those other things vitrification. Would this application be for vitrification?
Parent - - By chuck meadows (***) Date 09-10-2007 21:57
Based strictly on the information you provided, and not considering anything but what you asked, I would recommend 2 choices...The first choice would to use 2209 electrode (if the base metal is  of the 2205 grade), or a 309MoL. Either is satisfactory when welding a "regular" duplex to any other austenitic stainless steel. A regular 309 electrode does not contain the needed moly that is in the duplex and the 316L material. 
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 09-11-2007 23:35
mr. wallace is noticeably absent from this thread.
darren
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 09-12-2007 12:15
Hey Darren!

Obviously and, since the Best Ones have been willing to discuss,... unfortunately!

Best regards,
Stephan

P.S. Thanks Gerald for your statement with regard to "Sellafield" and its "sharp individuals"! You have made me sleeping calm again by that!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / duplex to 316L