Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / fillet weld sizes on sheet steel
- - By dlmann (**) Date 09-16-2007 15:38 Edited 09-16-2007 17:19
Engineering is subbing out some HVAC duct fabrication and asked me about weld sizes for fillet welds on sheet steel.  Not knowing the answer or having AWS D1.3 at my disposal I'm thinking this over till Monday morn.  I'm used to seeing fillet weld sizes next to the fillet symbol on drawings, but I'm not sure that they are always required.  Is it OK to have a fillet symbol without a size?
Regards, Donnie Mann

P.S How about that Arkansas - Alabama game last night!!  Roll Tide!!
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-16-2007 18:03
It is "common" practice to include a general note such as: "The leg dimensions of all fillet welds shall be equal to the thickness of the thinner member unless otherwise specified by the welding symbol." The intent is that a fillet weld symbol without the size specified is covered by the general note. Another note I see is: "Unless otherwise noted by the welding symbol, all fillet welds shall be 5/16 inch." Again, the general note covers any fillet weld symbol where the weld size is not specified.

By "common practice" I don't mean that it is required or recommended, just that I've encountered it on a number of projects.  This flies in the face of D1.1 for materials greater than 1/4 inch, but you didn't reference D1.1, you referenced D1.3.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / fillet weld sizes on sheet steel