Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / October 20 at St. Louis is The Day
- - By ZCat (***) Date 09-16-2007 16:46
Got my exam confirmation letter. Been studying and reading the 1104 and taking the practice tests, doing real good on all that. But, I don't have a way to practice for the practical and I'm not taking the seminar. Is there a way I can get familiar with Part B, or do I even need to worry about it? Are the measuring tools easy to pick up on? I've used fillet weld gages before, not the others, though.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 09-16-2007 20:30
You had better learn to operate and calibrate a cheap "General" brand micrometer.

Why can't you take the Hands On course?
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 09-16-2007 21:34
Too much $$$.

I think I'm just gonna buy some stuff beforehand.
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 09-16-2007 22:12
What type of fillet weld gauges do they use?
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 09-17-2007 14:38 Edited 09-17-2007 14:43
Fillet Gauges are fillet Gauges.  If you need to know the type, you may have a problem .  If you can not work with ANY gauge, save your money and don't take the examination.  Just be sure that you know how to use all the instruments.  Remember to read and understand the acceptance criteria.  Remember to apply the stated acceptance criteria when you answer the question.  Practice, Practice, Practice.  Read that imitation code book you get with the examination notification pack.  That code book is what will be used in the actual examination.  You can improve your speed if you knew how to use each of the tables.  But do not try to memorize the tables, look up the answers when you take the test.  I would urge you to beg, borrow or steal the money you need to take that course.  You sound like you need the confidence you would get from taking that one day course.

As for buying tools before hand;  I would have assumed you had been using these gaugers all along during the "Experience" phase of your career.  If you haven't used things like fillet gauges,
V-Wac Gauge, ruler, Etc., what kind of experience do you have inspecting?
Parent - By ZCat (***) Date 09-17-2007 23:44
I don't know what your problem is, dude, but you can stop bothering yourself to answer my posts. You have some kind of an attitude that I can do without.

I have no experience inspecting, I have been welding pipe for 30 years and am ready to stop. Simple as that. What kind of inspecting experience did you have before you became an inspector?
Parent - By jws Date 09-17-2007 23:37
I found the practical part of the exam to be the hardest, which I think it is great that you are asking about it. The measuring tools are straight forward. You might need to brush up on reading your micrometer because the one you will be using is not digital. Study like crazy the little green book of specs, especially the max allowable discontinuites. That book will be your code in that part of the exam. Try to find some references or better yet pictures of welds with all the various discontinuities labeled. You might also want to refresh yourself on tensile tests. As far as the 1104, I took this exam because I thought the smaller the book the easier the test. Well guess what? It is harder than the D1.1 in my opinion. I passed all three parts in the mid 80% and I was sweating it. I thought I new more than I did. Not trying to scare you because you will pass if you don't overlook the parts you think are not important. Do get to Know appendix A and B of 1104 and especially what can cause hydrogen cracking. I passed and so can you, good luck.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 09-18-2007 00:48
get the visual inspection workshop reference manual,that explains the gauges and other tools you need to be familiar with!
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 09-18-2007 01:14
Thanks, jws and ctacker, I'll look into that reference manual. I have been reading and studying the 1104 and taking the practice tests that are in the study book. Last time I missed 3 out of 102, one of which was just a dumb mistake, scanned the question too quickly and thought it said length of slag inclusion when it said width.
Not assuming the score means I have it down pat, I have been reading the whole thing over and over.
Studying the fundamentals workbook; symbols, metallurgy and NDT, etc.
The practical is the part that I need the most work on, that's why I posted this thread, only to be impolitely informed I may as well save my money and not even take it. Well, I AM taking it, and I AM going to pass it. I just hope I don't have to aquire the God Complex, too.
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 09-18-2007 13:21
Zcat, remember that the code section is open-book so it is not necessary to memorize it.  Being able to navigate through it and find the information is the most important thing.  You can usually verify each answer word for word in the code so find it in the text before assuming an answer.  As for the other sections, Joe and the others gave good advice.  Good Luck!
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-18-2007 13:36
also remember if you find multiple references in the index to a topic within a single chapter to check both the text and table, the table may well have a footnote that renders the text answer inadequate.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 09-18-2007 15:24
i agree with johnnyh. no need to memorize anything. just make sure you know the layout of the code and how to find things quickly. i tabed the main tables and sections. and always read the notes. i'm sure you've heard this all before, sounds like you'll do fine
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 09-18-2007 02:02
ctacker, I just ordered that book and have caliper and micrometer, etc. on the way. Thank you.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 09-18-2007 03:07
No problem, I know exactly where your coming from,I've been Fitter/welder and dim. Inspector for almost 30 years myself, feeling like you,I just dont want to do it Daily anymore, and the last two guys at my present job got everything payed for by company, thought I'd jump at the chance when they needed cwi(because last guy they sent to seminar,test etc, got a better job) well, as my luck would have it they say Im needed  as a fitter and dont want to pay for me,thats been the story of my life, Well not anymore, I'm also taking just the test,out of my pocket and told them I plan on becoming a CWI regardless of what they want! Its a tough test but I'm confident i will pass,and if you study,you shouldnt have a hard time either! Good Luck!
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-18-2007 21:58 Edited 09-18-2007 22:07
A good number of people have trouble with the practical examination. It isn't universal as to which portion of the exam is the most difficult.

Some people have difficulty with the mathematics. A firm foundation in algebra is not required, but it is helpful to be able to look at a formula and be able to apply it to a problem. You will be required to calculate the area of a circle and rectangle, convert customary units to metric units and vice versa. You will need to be able to convert fractions to decimal and decimal to fractions. You will have to add and subtract fractions. Converting fractions to decimals will require you to "round-off" numbers and you will need a basic understanding of significant figures.

Other people have difficulty using the gages and measuring devices provided for the examination. You will not be allowed to use your own personal fillet gages, micrometer, calipers, etc. for the examination. As simple as measuring a fillet weld is, there are some basic concepts that people forget when they enter the examination room. Joe recommended taking the seminar if you are not familiar with the proper use of fillet gages as well as the use of a micrometer and dial caliper. That was sound advice. Joe may not sugar coat his answers, but they are always on the mark. There are several questions based on being able to use traditional (non-digital) measuring devices. You will use those measurements to calculate several things such as cross sectional area, ultimate tensile strength, etc. Some of the answers will involve converting metric units to customary units because both may be listed as answers and both the metric and customary unit answers may be correct.

The Practical Examination requires you to use a welding standard that is a composite of several industry based codes. The candidate has to be able to divorce himself (or herself) from the code they are familiar with and apply the criteria contained in the composite standard provided. In some cases, the requirements run contrary to the requirements of the code you are familiar with. Answering the questions based on the actual code you use every day (real life) will result in the wrong answer being marked on the answer sheet. This portion of the examination catches people off guard because it requires you to apply a standard that you are unfamiliar with. The common refrain I've heard is, "I don't care what the standard says, I won't accept that weld!" That is the attitude that will cause a candidate to fail the examination. A weld that should be rejected by nature is, by the standard, acceptable or vice versa.

Good luck and study, practice, and study some more.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 09-19-2007 00:18
Thank you all for all the help. So, they give you a tensile specimen and you have to measure it with the gauge then figure the UTS using the formula? That's pretty interesting.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-19-2007 23:43
Yup, it's the old load over area trick.

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / October 20 at St. Louis is The Day