Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / effects of OCV and slope on the static characteristics
- - By L.Hall Date 09-16-2007 19:22
I am trying to determine the effects of open circuit voltage and slope on the static characteristic of a a transformer rectifier type welding power source. Any idea where I could getting some information regarding this topic?

A Linde SVI 500 tranformer retifier type welding power source was used to gather data from using winview sofware.

Any help would be much appriciated.

Thanks
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 09-16-2007 20:22
Hello L.Hall, and welcome to the forum. I don't have any specific information for you, but I am curious to see where this thread will lead. I do have a question though, are you seeking this information to determine the effects of slope, OCV, possibly inductance, and how they correlate to affect a welding arc? I am always seeking better ways of explaining the operation and impact of various characteristics and features on welding power sources. Thanks and once again welcome. Best regards, aevald
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-16-2007 22:20 Edited 09-16-2007 22:33
Hello L. Hall!
I would also like to "Weldcome" you to the forum.
If you could elaborate further as to what specific effects you are alluding to pertaining to OCV, and Slope when a transformer rectifier power source is in it's "static" state...

Now just to clarify a bit, when you mention: "determine the effects of open circuit voltage and slope on the static characteristic of a a transformer rectifier type welding power source." Do you mean when the power source is on yet, not actually welding or as you would possibly refer to: "It's Dynamic characteristics" by the premise that the welding circuit voltage would be closed???

I also wanted to attach a link to ESAB that has a .pdf file on an L-Tec SVI 450 which I know is not the same power source as the SVI 500 you referred to but in the .pdf file, there is some contact information that may or may not steer you towrads the right direction in answering your query. I believe it's worth persuing because, the folks @ what is now known as "ESAB" North America are for the most part, the same folks who worked on the older L-Tec and Linde/Union Carbide welding & cutting power sources.
ESAB NA is located 2 the same area in Florence, SC USA.

So here's the link:
http://www.esabna.com/literature/Arc%20Equipment/Power%20Supplies/15-099-__LTEC_VI450.pdf

Here's another manual in .pdf format:
http://www.esabna.com/literature/Arc%20Equipment/Power%20Supplies/15-098-A_VI450.pdf

Here is their support page with contact info:
http://www.esabna.com/us/en/support/

I hope this info will steer you in the right direction. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 09-17-2007 14:51
Check out Miller Electric's Gas Metal Arc Welding book stock number #151 682 see pages 26 to 42. It can be ordered/purchased through a distributor. Presuming the interest is GMAW. Especially for the short circuit transfer mode. Both slope and inductance are covered in this book.
If it is SMAW check out Lincoln's pipe welding booklet. Some folks call a dual control generator (coarse range and fine current adjustment control) a slope control machine cause it controls/adjusts the open circuit voltage (ocv) and therefore the volt amp curve. This provides either a digging arc (xx10-11's) with low ocv or a soft, buttering arc (xx18s) high ocv.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / effects of OCV and slope on the static characteristics