Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / checking ovality on pipe after bending.
- - By firstpass (**) Date 09-23-2007 23:33
Does anybody make a set of two framing that slide together and can be clamped for measuring the difference in pipe diameter?  i can make one but just would like to know if one is already available.?
Parent - By Aspirate (**) Date 09-24-2007 02:13
I'm not aware of any framing device like that, but it can be done.
I have used bore measuring devices for checking ovality in the ID before
(on 6" sch40 which had to be within .040" or something).
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-24-2007 04:42 Edited 09-24-2007 04:57
Hello firstpass, there is a machinists tool that I believe was referred to as an external caliper. There are many different kinds of calipers, the one in particular that I am thinking of has two curved arms, at one end they are somewhat wide, this is the end where they have a hole drilled through them and one of the arms is attached to the other arm with a tensioning screw. Each arm is curved and tapers to almost a point from the wide end where they pivot off of one another to the other end where they will touch if they are completely closed. You can open these arms up and pass a round object between the points and close them so that when the round item passes between them you are able to then use a tape or rule to determine the diameter of the round object. It is likely that you could also use this tool to determine the amount of out-of-round of something as well. There are versions of this tool that can be used to check relatively small items(0 to say 2" dia.) and also larger versions to check possibly 72" or better dia. Hopefully you were able to follow what I was describing here. Sorry I don't have a picture. Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 09-25-2007 04:24
What aevald is describing is an "outside caliper", an example is the Starrett brand # 26 available in sizes to 36", which can measure to about 46" diameter.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 09-25-2007 05:12
Hello Dave, I knew someone would step-in and set my terminology straight. Regards, Allan
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / checking ovality on pipe after bending.