Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Welding of Zn-22%wt.Al alloy plates, HELP!
- - By lilunpan Date 09-24-2007 14:20
I am a university student. I am doing a final year project about welding of two identical Zn-22%wt.Al alloy plates. After using the Nd -YAG laser, the welded area lost the superplastcity. the objective is to weld the two identical plates while the superplastcity of the whole plastes can be retained ( including the welded area). I proposed another method, it is friction stir welding (solid phase welding) however, there is no such facilties for friction welding. there are only laser welding and arc welding machines. I would like to use the plasma arc welding or TIG. But I am afraid that the high temperature will vaporise all the Zn inside. Can you give me some comments to me on this issue? I am very frustrated.Thanks!
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-24-2007 17:37
Hi Lilunpan!

Have you tried EBW = Electron Beam Welding yet?

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By lilunpan Date 09-24-2007 18:25
There is no EBW in school. I would like to ask whether I should use Co2 laser and excimer laser welding or not.
But Nd YAG was already used.
Parent - By scmait (*) Date 09-24-2007 19:05
How about solid state welding techniques?
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Welding of Zn-22%wt.Al alloy plates, HELP!