Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / cooling stainless with water
- - By firstpass (**) Date 09-25-2007 02:10
As a welder with considerable Stainless welding experience I have never had complete consensus about the use of water to cool stainless steel in between passes when using the GTAW process.

some say it is ok others prohibit it.  Any information or references would be appreciated.  The water used was Demineralized water.  Stainless does not conduct heat weld so it is important to keep cool and watch interpass.  LIKE TO SUPPOPRT THE BEST WORK PRACTICES WITH DOCUMENTATION.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 09-25-2007 02:47
Hello firstpass, I don't believe that this is the sort of thing that I would actively pursue. It can certainly depend on a lot of variables. First off, there are many different alloys of stainless steels, some of which could be really sensitive to any sort of accelerated cooling. Secondly, even de-mineralized water contains components that could affect the metallurgical properties of various types of stainless steel through oxidation or otherwise due to the introduction of the water before the stainless steel's temperature is below the critical point. Without more details I couldn't comment specifically. Having said that though, chill blocks and other sorts of heat dissipation aids would be a much more prevalent form of heat control. There are others on the forum who can comment more specifically and likely include more technically correct information. I would however discourage the use of any type of water for cooling during the welding of stainless steels. Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-25-2007 02:58
Dendretic coring from rapid cooling comes to mind. I don't think this would be a good idea. Refer to ASM metals handbook.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-25-2007 04:01
I've actually pumped water through an austenitic stainless steel (type 316L alloy) fitting while it was being welded to prevent the over heating of a near by glass seal. The component cost $1600.00 to replace and had a three month lead time. A rubber dam was used to keep the water a short distance away from the area being welded, so the cooling water never actually came into direct contact with the ID of the surface being welded. The water (flowing) was used as a heat sink to ensure the glass seal and sealing surfaces, that were within 2 inches of the weld, were not exposed to temperatures in excess of 250 degrees F.

To my knowledge it may still be operating in a submarine used by the SEALS.

It was an unusual case and isn't how I would normally weld austenitic stainless steel. 

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 09-25-2007 13:50
As with many things it depends. For perhaps 99 and 99/1000's of the time the water is pretty much irrelevent metallurgically.
It will have an effect on ferrite content, to be sure, for those alloys which solidify as delta ferrite, it will essentially have none on those alloys that solidify as austenite. And in fact may even help minimize element segregation (so that you maintain Mo in austenite and Ni in ferrite to improve corrosion resistance in mixed oxidizing/reducing services-remember that this is also one of the main reasons to keep interpass temps and welding parameters down when dealing with corrosion resistant alloys-accelerated cooling is accelerated cooling). And rapid cooling is actually a technique used in research to determine pristine solidification microstructures before diffusion has time to do its messy thing.
As for the ferrite, it is most certainly cooling rate sensitive but the range of acceptable ferrite is quite broad. High enough to help prevent cracking-perhaps a min of 2%, or 3%-low enough to minimize sigma-perhaps below 15% or 16%. Thats a pretty broad range, and not likely to be violated due to water cooling.
As for contamination, it would certainly exist with tap water, and I know the 'authorities' recommend some manner of purified water, but I'm just not convinced it matters that much (note Al's post)(and perhaps if you smell rotten eggs in your water and your running it across the immediately solidified root you may have a concern).
But, if someone is designing an alloy for service and they are cutting it that close to save material costs I'm guessing they're gonna end up with more serious service issue than whatever may come out of the faucet. Just my opinion.
So, if your ferrite is within range personnally I'd have little concern.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-25-2007 20:23
I would have a different take on it. The method Al described as in not having the water damned off, I don't think would be a problem, but say for instance, the root pass is tig'ed in and for fill and cap water is run through the line, that I would be concerned with for the reasons of coring. ASM has a pretty good macrograph of this. A lot would depend on what the actual rate of cooling was. As you've mentioned, some level of cooling is benificial.
This is not the first time I've heard this, and given the number of times, I think it's time to put it to bed. When I get back to the states, I'll run my own samples and macrographs/micrographs. I'd like to have a definitive answer to this one. If anyone has any studies out there (Henry, Stephen) please feel free to pass them on.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 09-26-2007 14:01
Gerald,
Not sure definitive is really possible as a blanket statement. I think there are too many variables of alloys, cooling rates, water contaminants, solidification rates, methods of coolant application, thickness of material, welding process, that would prevent an answer such as good or bad.
As I see it though the discussion is a in two parts: 1) water contmination  2) cooling rate
There have been some problems associated with high energy density high solidification rate process such as laser beam and electron beam processes but water cooling of say GTAW or SMAW doesn't come anywhere near these soldification rates (and these processes are used everyday on austenitics), especially considering that most applications of water are well after solidification and have more to do with cooling rates and getting back underneath interpass maximums than soldification.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-26-2007 14:51
Mainly for 304L with SMAW and TIG. It's not possible to get anything useful trying to cover the entire range of materials and processes. I iwill be limited to GTAW, SMAW, and GMAW as those are the only processes I have at my disposal at home. Lets use the better word of "more" definitive.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 09-26-2007 15:51
Interesting. I dredged up a paper by SA David published in the April 81 Welding Journal on SS ferrite morphology and content. In it he seperated the solidification speed from lower temp cooling rates.
His data states that the soldification rate defined as the time it takes to transform from full liquid to full solid (or theta sub f) is perhaps most critical in determining microstrucutre as far as cooling related phenomena are concnerned. This of course would be related to the post earlier about high arc density processes such as electron beam welding. The other thing David reported was that they water quenched a series of 308 welds and found negligable microstructural change. Non quenched welds maintained a 6.1 FN whereas the water quenched weldments maintained 7.0.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 09-26-2007 20:02
We used to put wet rags over the stainless pipe after each pass for a minute or 2 and i used to think to myself man i wonder how bad we are effecting this stainless by doing this.  Especially on 1/2'' and 1" cause that stuf gets hot quick.  It was usually OF A 304 and 316 base.  They had been doing this for years and have not had any probs so i kept my mouth shut and welded away.  I would like to know how bad this technique could be if it is at all and why so if i ever do speek up i can spit something out that sounds like i know what i'm talking about.
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 09-27-2007 01:25
We have done a fair amount of weld overlays on large diameter, heavy wall 304 pipe (12", 24", 28" dia.; 1" to 3" wall) with water backing inside the pipe.  We also performed Induction Heat Stress Improvement (IHSI) by heating/cooling welds in 304 pipe rapidly with flowing water inside the pipe to obtain a compressive residual stress on the pipe I.D..  In none of these cases has there been any detrimental effect to the weld metal or base metal when examined metallurgically.  There have been reams of research data published by EPRI, GE, Westinghouse and others on water-backed welding and IHSI.  Additionally, when 304 pipe is solution annealed it is heated to 1900-1950 F then rapidly quenched with water or other media.  I see no problem with using wet cloths or other similar method to cool the 300 series austenitic stainless steels during welding.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-27-2007 06:56
Hello Marty, when this thread started, I initially commented on it on the premise that it wasn't known at the time which alloy or what other conditions were being discussed or inquired about. I can readily see the use of water as a type of heat-sink in almost any situation as long as the water isn't in direct contact with the weld deposit while it is at a "critical temperature", my interpretation of this term would include accelerated oxidation, such as when the tig torch is pulled away prematurely at the completion of a weld preventing the protection of shielding gas action on the weld pool or when the stainless is at a temperature when an alloy might be affected adversely due to hardening caused by a water quench or other metallurgical conditions due to oxidation and other possible issues. I can see a water backing for controlling overheating when there is no direct contact possibility for molten stainless(burn-through or oxidation), or when the water is a sufficient distance away from the actual welding so that this cannot occur. I now realize through some of the posts, that on certain alloys heating and water quench after this heating is beneficial, in other cases however, I would question this practice as there are certainly many stainless alloys where this would not be the case. I believe the real benefit to this thread will be realized when the specifics of water use is addressed in all cases of alloy application. Bottom line, specific use on specific alloys will be beneficial and incorrect use on specific alloys should be addressed and identified. My $.02. Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 09-27-2007 13:45
Keep in mind the water quenching issue and its 'deleterious or not' effects pertaining to hardening isn't an issue of stainless steel, though this thread is framed in a discussion of SS.
Its more an issue of austenitic/ferritic/martensitic/bainitic/etc. Though there will always be acceptions.
Quench hardening is a phenomenon predominantly of carbon content and phase transformations (minimizing carbide precipitations and holding the carbon in solid solution-the very stengthening mechanism of carbon steel) and therefore austenitics are little suscesptible to it. You certainly wouldn't use quench cooling for martensitics such a Grade 91, or bainitics such as Grade 22, or ferritic SS's (which is actually based more upon its susceptibility to H2 embrittlement than it is to an accelerated cooling rate).
For ferritics such a carbon steel it would depend largely on the carbon content. But why would you wish to quench most carbon steel anyway since interpass maximums for CS's is greatly overrated, unless of course you are running CVN regimes.
Water quenching of most nickel based alloys is harmless if considered in terms of accelerated cooling rates, because of their austenitic microstructure.
Aluminum, though austenitic is different due to its high solubility for H2. Also, add the fact that high thermal conductivity is real problem so you would have to ask why you would want to.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-27-2007 14:58
Hello js55, I'm a bit thick-headed at times when it comes to understanding certain conditions. Thanks for the patience. Apparently incorrectly, I was under the impression that "some" stainless steels would exhibit hardening from a water quench or rapid cooling similar to many carbon steels. Instead, if I am understanding correctly water quenching of stainless steels will only in certain cases cause hydrogen embrittlement. Thanks again for the patience on this topic. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 09-27-2007 16:15
Allen,
I'm thinkin maybe I'm the thick headed one here.
Actually for clarification sake let me restate and re-emphasize my 'little susceptible" proviso. Because I certainly dont' profess to know ALL of the ins and outs of SS's. Does anybody?
Far from it. We just express our opinions.
Just speaking from my experience. And disputes are welcome.
In any case, I didn't intend to say that SS's will not harden at all. I don't know this to be true and would doubt it.
I suppose to be more specific I would say that SS's in general tend to keep carbon on the low side, as do nickels, and therefore would have a greatly reduced susceptibility to quench hardening. There are high carbon SS's, high N SS's, that I would guess would demonstrate some quench hardening, or perhaps better put would demonstarte a slight increase in strength with accelerated cooling, though I don't know this for a fact. I suppose we could look it up.
But, given the fact that the austenitic microstructure is much more ductile than say a carbon steel ferritic microstructure even if it is hardened it would still be resistant to a manifest low ductility, which is really the concern for hardening in the first place. So, as a guess 308L would have negligable if any hardening, so to speak, whereas a 308H might experience some. But is it a concern. I believe the industry has determined in general, no.
Maybe that is a better way of putting it. I hope.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 09-27-2007 16:44
According to ASM Handbook Volume 4
"Conventional austenitics cannot be hardened by heat treatment".
If this is so, as I believe, it would certainly apply to weld quenching as well in my opinion.
Now it could be asked what they intend by conventional austenitics, though I would certainly surmise that 304, 308, 316, 310, etc apply.

Also, "cooling from the annealing temperature must be rapid."
Again this philosophy could and should be applied to a welding regime in my opinion.

Again, "high nitrogen austenitic stainless steels" - "cannot be hardened by heat treatment".
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 09-27-2007 16:49
ASM Volume 4
"Ferritic Stainless Steels are not normally hardened by quenching".
"Martensitic Stainless steels" - "maximum hardness is produced by air cooling".
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-27-2007 17:25
Hello again js55, I believe the best thing in this case then, would be to consult with the EOR in regards to any special types of cooling, quenching, heat sink applications, etc., where one might consider using water. In that manner you will CYA in the event of any questions. Unless, the specific manufacture of a product has a verifiable history of using a specific method of water quench or cooling without a record of experiencing failures. At least that would be my take. You have added immensely to the information that I now have on this topic. Thanks again and best regards, Allan
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 09-27-2007 20:29
Allen,
I would certainly advocate that in the event of being 'not sure' that erring or acting on the side of caution is the best policy.
But remember, in ASME there is no EOR, so to speak. And I have to admit that my predominant ASME background causes me to think more in terms of piping, corrosive fluids, gases, and pressure boundaries than it does plate and/or structural.
And the other thing is, if somebody has some evidence of failures related to water quenching of austenitic SS's please post them. I've never seen it.
One more thing, very few EOR's are welding guys.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 09-27-2007 21:00
I completely understand, Allan
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-27-2007 21:18
Hi Jeff, Allen and everyone else!
Good thread!!!
I agree with Jeff, and his comments and opinions with respect to the use water quenching to rapidly quench most SS. Including the exceptions for obvious reasons. If I find anything pertinent to this thread, I'll post it for sure.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 09-27-2007 21:33
Please do Henry and thanks. This is good one. I would have tried to find more myself but got busy. I'll do some searching too.
Parent - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 10-08-2007 18:50
I agree Marty,
There is tons of 304L and 316L S.S in process plants that have been cooled down with wet rags. Those of us that have had to fit and weld sch. 10 S.S and keep it straight and prevent dog-legs and get it to line up to pumps have used this tech. Don't lie, you know you have. :) If any of you ever have the opportunity to visit Bristel pipe shop in Bristel Tenn. You will see how solution annealing is done.

Jim
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 10-03-2007 21:06
Gerald,

thanks for mentioning me (I hope it was me - Stephan - who was meant?)

Believe me, it's hard for me to currently not finding sufficient time to participate in the forum! So much interesting topics but the job requires his tribute twice at the moment.

However, this particular topic is a toffee. I would like to give a little comment on it - although everything that should to be treated has already been treated. What else been left to say than: Wow!

Basically from my rather limited practical experience in processing stainless steels and from what I have tried to learn on the theoretical coherences of those interesting materials, I would like to agree with Jeff et al who say that any kind of generalization is hardly to obtain since the tremendously variance of the different alloys + that "infinite" one of the peripheral variations makes such a kind of effort - from my point of view - impossible.

Therefore it is surely good that a limitation on specific materials and processes should be executed, just as you have said e.g. 304 + SMAW/TIG.

Well, when I have read the initial post coming from firstpass I have honestly asked myself what could basically be the reason for "cooling" stainless steels with water. A precious kind of clarification and understanding I could gain when I have read the case, Al has stated. Using water as a heat sink for saving sensitive areas of the part... Once again very impressive, once again very "known-how" - even Al (803056)!

But however, although I have reconsidered the topic several times now, it stays unclear for me why water should be used for cooling the material while it's being welded or between welding the multiple layers. What could in general be the reason for doing so? Affecting the morphology of the weld metal deposit? Or influencing the morphology of the heat affected zone? Whereas the first could be realized "easier" (at least from my standpoint) by using specific shielding gases, the latter - namely a wanted influencing of the heat affected zone - is more imaginable for me as for being the reason. But, what could in detail being wanted when the «Heat Affected Zone» should be the reason for cooling stainless steels with water? The Ferrite -- > Austenite transformation? And if yes, what could be the reason then therefore? Improving the corrosion resistance by rising the ratio of austenite? Or decreasing it for e.g. improving the material's hot cracking susceptibility? Hmmm, some questions which haven't been responded up to now, at least as far as I interpret the answers on firstpass' question. Perhaps firstpass may kindly provide some more information for the actual background of his topic? This would be very interesting - at least for me.

Forgive me but what interests me first in general when I read something new - and thus being allowed to learn something new - is, "What might the reason be for that the author has asked even a particular question or for having investigated something particular?" It's even me, Stephan, and you fellows know me, to "understanding" something I must "penetrate" it...

Well, then I have read what Jeff has stated and in one sentence showing in the direction of increased cooling rates by using High Energy Density processes (LBW or EBW). That was the point in time when I have remembered something I have read a time ago and what I felt could contain something in a direct coherence with what has been said on "Solidification" a/o "Delta Ferrite Content" a/o "Corrosion",...

You may see, it shows a very huge agreement to many statements been made in the thread up to now. I personally mean that it should be sensitively considered what kind of "stainless steel parameter" should be the subject of interest. Corrosion, Strength, Fatigue,... Each of those is depending on very particular and intricate mechanisms taking care for the base materials microstructure. Just as already been stated here several times. Quite little changes or variations in only one of the base material's, -process, consumable-parameters are able to change those properties i.e. "Corrosion Resistance", "Mechanical Properties",... again, depending to the mentioned above. I guess this is what it makes it so hard to make even a generalized "Yes" or "No" predication. And as I could see by reading what Marty Sims et al have stated, cooling stainless steels (at least specific alloys) can also be accomplished without any negative effects (under specific conditions of the later on material usage).

Thus the only little - and humble - addendum I would like to carry out is that I would like to report about a scientific survey accomplished in Germany and coming from our Federal Institute for Materials Research and Testing (Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung = BAM) located in Berlin, and which I remembered when I have read what you all have stated.

The - relatively current - investigation (finished in 10/2006) I am speaking of, was headlined (translated) "Survey on Solidification Behaviour and Weldability of Austenitic Steels Using Laser- and Hybrid Welding". It was executed basically to clarify the influence on high energy densities while welding (similar with increased welding speeds) on the mechanisms of solidification and an emphasized view on the "Hot Cracking" Susceptibility of austenitic (metastable and stable) steels. The survey can be seen as a conclusion of what even Jeff has mentioned (processes), welding base materials as "firstpass" has stated and having a specific view on the morphology of what you, Gerald, have mentioned. By having that fine combination I hope to be permitted to add the following information and thus giving you a small summary of what Germany's highest administration in materials research has found out.

They have surveyed 4 different base materials of what I would like to list the German Standards designations subsequently and referring those to the US-American AISI designations. These were:

·  X15CrNiSi 20-12   ~ AISI 309
·  X2CrNiMo17-12-2   ~ AISI 316L
·  X2CrNiMo 18-14-3  ~ AISI 316L
·  X2CrNi 19-11    ~ AISI 304L

The wall thicknesses were

·  4 mm ~  .15"
·  5 mm ~  .19"
·  6 mm ~  .23"

They have used:

·  Laser Welding
·  Laser GMA Hybrid Welding
·  GMA Welding

as the welding processes, to compare the broadly used "low energy" process "GMAW" with "high energy" processes as "Laser" and "Laser Hybrid Welding".

The Joint geometries were prepared for:

·  LASER: Square Groove Butt Joint
·  Hybrid: V-Groove Butt Joint (Bevel Angle 10°)
·  GMAW: V-Groove Butt Joint (Bevel Angle 50°)

In the following I would like to "extract" what the people in Berlin have investigated. I mean that only the pure Laser Welding shows a kind of comparability to the effects of a rapidly increased cooling rate by using water, just as Jeff has mentioned already. Thus the emphasize on pure Laser Welding should be accomplished and not having a further view on the other welding processes.

Nonetheless for a better and more basically understanding of how the different mentioned and investigated processes do vary in both "Heat Input" (you know my very critical attitude on this technical term) and "Welding Speed", I would like to consider the following. Considering that higher welding speeds lead to steeper temperature gradients. What does this mean actually? A specific amount of energy affects a specific amount of material for a specific amount of time. The higher the welding speed at a given amount of energy the less the time the amount of energy is affecting the material. This should correlate physically to a reduction of heat input. Let's have a closer look if this consideration can be proven, see also the Figure Heat_Input_over_Welding_Speed. I would say "Yes" higher welding speeds lead to lower heat inputs. But what occurs when increasing both, energy density and welding speed - as being executed in the beam processes. Here a relatively high energy density leads to relative limited isotherms which means that small sized welding beads can be generated having a relatively high Depth/Width ratio. This again depends of course on the thermodynamical properties of the base material to be welded. I.e. to achieve a similarity in the isotherm's form in welding different materials, having different values of thermal conductivity, one has to change either the energy source performance or the welding speed. Regarding and founded on the specific and well-known thermodynamical properties of "stainless steels" (in particular "low" heat conductivity) this means, that the heat is dammed up in a relative narrow area around the energy source. When now having a view on the "Heat_Input_over..." Figure one can see that - for comparing what firstpass has stated - the lowest "Heat Input" values were reached by using the pure Laser with high welding speed values. Presumed I am right by thinking that the value of heat input must be low when cooling the stainless steel by using water while welding and thus generating a steep temperature gradient between the limited area the heat source couples in its energy into the base material and its adjacent heat affected zone, this should correlate to the conditions when using a high energy density heat source (Laser Beam) and having a high welding speed. Therefore the cooling conditions should be comparable - in general principle. A small but from my point of view important detail whereas is, that e.g. an arc as an energy source is quite different to a Laser Beam, due to having a quite reduced energy density + a lowered welding speed as well what yields a quite different - since lower - D/W-ratio. But this detail should be neglected subsequently, since I mean to have understood that herein should be considered only the condition of a steep temperature gradient by using water for cooling the material while it's being welded.

Well, we should now talk about using this pure Laser for welding a particularly base material. Since what Jeff et al have mentioned it is hard to give a general prediction if a steep temperature gradient, i.e. drastically increased cooling rate, can negatively influence the base material. But however what could then be the reason for that there is being asked a question as firstpass did? What could be - if even - the reason that there could be a significant negative effect by using highly accelerated cooling rates by cooling the steel with water? Or perhaps water has on the contrary a positive influence on the material's properties which ever those were. Hmmm....

But now finally I would like to start to try to explain what the German people have found out.

First they have made sure to have a variation of different base materials, as to be seen above. What we can see there are different mostly metastable stainless steel grades. What they wanted to find out was the answer on the question how the welding process and its peculiarities can affect the mechanical-, corrosion- and hot cracking behaviour of the welded base material. For a kind of separation between the base materials listed above they used basically the specific Chromium equivalent to Nickel equivalent (Creq/Nieq) ratio, which is often used as a criterion for estimating the hot cracking susceptibility of the base material. Furthermore a separation between the different modes of solidification was carried out by using the WRC-1992 Diagram, see also the WRC_Diagram.jpeg. It is well-known that the basis of the WRC Diagram is the mode of primary precipitated micro structure's constituents. This means the field of primary ferritic solidification are abbreviated with "F". These materials are e.g. ferritic stainless steels or metastable stainless steels. The Primary_Deltaferrite.jpeg shows by the way such a primary ferritic solidified microstructure (white vermicular areas within the dendrites).

Those materials, solidifying primarily as austenite, are abbreviated with "A". These ones are e.g. fully austenitic or "stable" austenitic steels, containing very low amounts of Deltaferrite. A primary austenitic solidified micro structure besides an ferritic solidified area shows the figure Primary_Austenite+Ferrite.jpeg. Both ranges "A" as "F" are more or less and strongly simplified "clear" in regard on their properties and thus more or less relatively safe predictions can be made for their behaviour after welding.

But there are some additionally areas recognizable in the WRC-1992 Diagram being abbreviated with "AF" and "FA". Those areas are marginal with respect to their primarily solidification behaviour.

What does this term "marginal" means actually?

Well, let's have a look upon the mentioned areas "AF" or "FA". Both areas have a specific "preferred" primarily micro structure solidifications. Whereas the materials falling under the range of "AF" having a primarily austenitic solidification, the "FA" materials have a primarily ferritic solidification, i.e. these ones solidify as "Deltaferrite". The main common property between both whereas is, that after the primarily solidification has taken place an additionally eutectic solidification occurs. Here both phases - Ferrite and Austenite - solidify simultaneously -even eutectic - in between the interstices of the weld metals primary dendritic microstructure. And now it comes, when having materials belonging to the "FA" range and thus solidifying primarily ferritic under "normal" conditions, it can occur that by increasing the cooling rate a contrary solidification, i.e. austenitic, can take place. This is called in German language "konstitutionelle Unterkühlung" and if I would be demanded to translate this I would write "constitutional undercooling"(?). This mechanism makes sure that there is a kind of decomposition of alloying elements at the front of solidification reducing the liquid temperature of the alloy and making sure that an eutectic composition is obtained to solidify simultaneously as Austenite + Ferrite. This again reduces the amount of Ferrite which is being well-known for its positive influence in regard to reducing hot-cracking susceptibility. This means in fact that increased cooling rates at specific base- or filler materials can have a negative influence by reducing the Deltaferrite content and thus can increase the hot cracking susceptibility.

Subsequently we have to talk thus about the pure Laser Welding, since this is the only process - of the surveyed ones - reaching high cooling rates and having no kind of affecting the primary microstructure by influencing it by using an additional filler metal. Furthermore no view should be put on the other investigated issues just as Corrosion resistance or mechanical properties (Impact Strength). Only the influence of rapid cooling should be considered afterwards as having a negative influence on the austenitic stainless steel. To evaluate the range of where a "critical" Creq/Nieq-ratio can be expected when welding austenitic stainless steels and achieving high cooling rates (by using Laser Welding), specific tests were conducted by using the base material X2CrNiMo 18-14-3 (~ AISI 316L). By having a composition of:

-  .02 C
-  17.08 Cr
-  12.76 Ni
-  2.585 Mo
-  1.035 Mn
-  .397 Si
-  .021 P
-  .002 S
-  .034 N  (all contents in %)

it does have a Creq/Nieq-ratio of 1.39 (according to the WRC-1992 Diagram). Therefore a primary austenitic solidification can be expected from the liquid phase. This was also the case as having been found out. But on the other hand this composition of steel lays adjacent to the borderline of austenitic-ferritic solidification ("AF"). When following the mechanisms as treated above, one now should watch out, when welding e.g. this specific base material (or comparable to that) using high energy density processes, obtaining thus high welding speeds and... low heat input values, which - as we have heard - are at least theoretically comparable to increased cooling rates by using water. Then they have investigated what kind of variations can deteriorate the hot cracking resistance of a base material quite similar in chemical composition to the first named. Therefore they have used a base material (same batch) but having the following composition:

-  .021 C
-  17.6 Cr
-  12.75 Ni
-  2.513 Mo
-  1.251 Mn
-  .553 Si
-  .021 P
-  .005 S
-  .037 N

Only slight differences in composition but yielding a different Creq/Nieq ratio, which was: 1.41. What they could then find out was, that by using the Laser as a heat source and holding the other parameters (Welding speed etc.) constant, a ferritic primary solidification could be observed, but, showing a constitutional undercooling and thus leading to partial austenitic areas where the thermal conduction was at its highest values. And now it comes somewhat interesting. By having just a slight increased sulphur content, which should normally be no significant drawback in using "low energy heat sources" as an arc (enabling a primary ferritic solidification), an increased hot cracking susceptibility could be observed when using a "high energy heat source" as a Laser beam inducing high cooling rates and leading to constitutional undercooling sequences. Hereby one can see, how critical some specific stainless steels can react on specific variations with particular regard to increased cooling rates. Only slight changes in the chemical composition in particular respect to the hot cracking susceptibility increasing element sulphur can under specific conditions induce inhomogeneities. Please see here also the figure Hot_Crack.jpeg, showing a liquation hot crack in a base material similar to that mentioned above. This shows that increased cooling rates in coherence with the primary solidification mechanisms can have negative influence on the material's properties. Of course these can likewise change and vary by using e.g. filler material to influence the composition of the weld metal deposit and thus "compensate" the negative effects again by increasing the primary Deltaferrite content, but by using only the pure beam as the heat source and thus having "only" the base material as itself, can create problems. By having found out that there are strong interactions of some main parameters affecting the steel, the German scientists have tried to find an in general coherence between the parameters:

·  Creq/Nieq-ratio
·  Welding Speed and
·  Content of primary solidified Ferrite

Therefore they have calculated or evaluated respectively, a kind of "significance-diagram" showing the coherences between those three parameters as listed above. Please see also the Deltaferrite_Dependence.jpeg.

Well, although I mean to have understood that firstpass' topic was meant by cooling the stainless steel between the different passes were welded and thus the descriptions I have listed above were not quite transferable since they treat the period where the liquid metal solidifies to its primary microstructure I however hope that it could be proven by that what you, Jeff, Al, Marty Sims and all the other appreciated fellows have mentioned as well.

Thus I would like to finish this reply by concluding as following:

·  High cooling rates (e.g. in Laser- or Laser Hybrid Welding) and Creq/Nieq-ratios of < 1.55 can form larger amounts of primary solidified austenite.
·  Simultaneously presence of higher amounts of hot crack sensitive elements as Sulphur or Phosphorus can increase the risk of achieving hot cracking. Therefore it is recommended to use only very low limitations in these element contents when welding austenitic stainless steel by using Laser Welding or welding processes generating high cooling rates.
·  It has always to be considered that both joint- and constructional design of the part to be welded do have a significant influence on the hot cracking susceptibility.
·  Appropriate filler metals can improve the conditions due to having the ability to affect the primary microstructure solidification in a positive way by displacing the microstructure from austenite to increased ferrite contents.

That far my humble contribution on that interesting topic!

Best regards,
Stephan

P.S. For further interesting information please visit the BAM Homepage under  http://www.bam.de/index_en.htm
Attachment: WRC_Diagram.jpg (70k)
Attachment: Deltaferrite_Dependence.jpg (57k)
Attachment: Hot_Crack.jpg (49k)
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-04-2007 08:05 Edited 10-04-2007 08:08
All I can say is excellent thread guys..good read by all contributors!!!!  Stephan as usual outstanding commentary!
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 10-04-2007 14:20
Stephen,
The reason for water cooling is simple. Productivity.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 10-04-2007 14:24
Stephen,
And I would like to thank for providing even more information in dire need of review. Between you and Henry I'm not sure my bloodshot eyes can take much more.
:>)
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 10-05-2007 10:10
Jeff,
Tommy,

first off, thanks to you both for your kind comments!

And Jeff, for lifting the secret of my basic question!

Productivity! Of course...

Hmmm, seems that I should have better reconsidered once more... :-)

Kind regards,
Stephan

P.S. Henry is it...

Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-10-2007 14:57
Hi Stephan!!!

I Apologize for not answering your query there Stephan but, I've been "under the weather" lately for the last few weeks, and I needed a few days of complete rest as my multiple battles with mortality sometimes seem to get the best of me, so I have to regroup instead of "stretching my logistics" to their limits...

This is one of those times when I simply have to "power down" so to speak, and go to "Ultra Quiet" until the enemy is fooled long enough into thinking that I'm no longer a threat!!! The enemy being a coalition (sorry! I've been watching the Military channel during my "Ultra Quiet" R&R ;) ) of diseases which I've been battling in earnest for quite some time as some of you know and for the most part, have been very successful in keeping these " Life Sucking Monsters" that you cannot even see for crying out loud, at bay until this latest offensive!!!

Btw, I'm still looking for that formula I promised you although I'll be honest in that I was'nt actively searching for it for awhile because of my latest battles with cancer and what the therapy has been doing to my blood & overall health... Thank God!!! So far, no damage to the transplanted liver and Btw, Monday, October the Eighth, 2007... I just celebrated my Tenth Anniversary of "The Gift of Life" I received in the form of a Liver Transplant!!!

The Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma has been kicking my butt lately but I've been "Counter attacking" with some reasonable success... Here's the info on Non Hodgkin Lymphoma:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Hodgkin_lymphoma#Types_of_non-Hodgkin.27s_lymphoma

And here is where an explanation of how I got it as recipient of an organ transplant:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-transplant_lymphoproliferative_disorder

However, It's NOT GOING TO BE FATAL!!! NOT ON MY WATCH!!!

Anyhow, That's what I've been dealing with lately... I'm told that I've mounted such a successful counter attack that I've got these little buggers on the run so, anyday now I'll be able to brag about my victory!!!
In the mean time, if some of my freinds here would set a minute or two in their everyday activity to pray for me, I'd surely appreciate it, and be eternally in gratitude for your support & prayers. :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-10-2007 19:42
Henry, you can count on the prayers and thoughts from here. So can Chuck, Dave, Ryder,(I apologize if I missed anyone) and all of you other folks out there who are having to contend with lifes issues. Stay strong everyone and keep up the fight. Best regards and God bless, Allan
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 10-11-2007 03:18
Henry, sorry to hear you have been "under the weather" lately. When some regular contributors are absent for awhile you hope they are on vacation or very busy. We hope they are not ill. Wishing you continued success on the counter attack. You and those mentioned by Allan are on the prayer list.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-11-2007 04:41
Hang in there Henry, We know that You are too ornery to give up the fight.
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 10-11-2007 08:38
Henry my friend!

Cheers for your kind answer and please... no apologies!

The most important thing is that you're doing o.k. and I guess you'll have more than twice the mental and physical power to win any kind of battle :-)!

What did I say?

"I guess..?"

No, I am sure!

May I ask you a favor..?

Please take very good care of yourself!

I'll keep you in my prayers, as well as all the other precious people, mentioned by Allan, and I am looking forward to hear from you soon!

All the best and may God bless you!

Stephan
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-11-2007 13:03
Take care of yourself Henry!

I'm pulling for you. Get well!

Best regards - Al
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 10-11-2007 13:45
Henry,
Look forward to ya kickin it and spending more time with us.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 10-12-2007 02:21
You got it brother,

with prayers,
Gerald
Parent - By roostenmotherbr (*) Date 10-14-2007 17:14 Edited 10-14-2007 17:21
Henry, I am sorry to hear your troubles, My family is praying for you, I even made sure I spelled your name right:) Hurry and win the war so we      can get back to war on other things. we need you on this front. prayers are with you Brother.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / cooling stainless with water