Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 1104 vs appendix c
- - By sparky 05 Date 09-26-2007 03:14
I got a question for you. I took my 1104 test  on 12" .375 wall butt welded at a 45 degree in houston less than a week ago for a small utility company down there. They sent me to jonesboro, arkansas for a 6" gas main for centerpoint energy. When I arrived with my new credentials, the inspector said the 1104 test was not enough to qualify me to weld on a gas main and that I must take the energy company test. This test consisted on a 4" .250 wall butt weld horizontally, then he had me cut it in 4 coupons which he then bent all four roots. I asked him what test this is and his reply was appendix c. I guess my question to you guys is, why wouldn't an 1104 be enough for any size pipe, any wall thickness, and any position? Also what exactly is this appendix c test?

Thanks,
Sparky
Parent - - By combopipey Date 10-02-2007 21:45
well first off the test you described was for API 1104, that is in 6G, then there is 5G where the pipe is horizontal,then there is 6GR which is pipe on 45 with the R being restricted or limited access. also you mentioned 12 in on 375 wasthat on x60,65 or 70? or was A36,52,53, 0r other pipe? also on this 6 inch is it uphill or downhill? is it 5p or 5p+ root and lo hi (7018) out or 5p/5p with 70+ out? was it for the county code work? state req code work or DOT ? was it in ASTM? API? or AWS spec requirements that you took your test? also was this test you took for pre hire testing? or cert testing? as to your questions it is hard to answer truthfully or correctly with out knowing the full details. by all means clear this type of stuff up for me or anyone else to answer. were you testing API1104,1103.1.7,ASTM/ASME B31.1,B31.3,CLASS 5 BOILER,ASME l/preturn?  was this test with preheat or without? sizemic spec's? was there a specific heat range rod size procedure sheet given to you for this weld?was there a hold time limit between passes? or mebbe a hoold temp requirement for this test? hopefully these questions i have asked will answer your original questions .
Parent - - By tjinsp (*) Date 10-03-2007 06:35
I would like to know where appendix C is in API 1104. I have 19th edition and can not locate it. ( unless there is another appendix in 20th edition)
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 10-03-2007 13:55
Nope. No appendix C in the 20th either.
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 10-12-2007 18:39
Sparky,

It is very common for oil & gas companies to require additional welder testing.  There may or may not be some specific company guidelines involved.  I work with rig welders that test for 6 or 8 companies each year. In some areas of the country, contractors have joined with O&G companies and formed a "common arc" or "central certification" type of program where universal testing is accepted by all parties.

As an older inspector, I'm betting the reference to Appendix C is kind of an insider joke.  Folks tend to readily agree with you if are able to quote a specific section or appendix etc.  Appendix C most likely means Centerpoint Energy.  A chief inspector I worked under in the 70's last name was Rodgers.  He kind of had his own set of rules, beyond the company and the Code guidelines, that us junior inspectors had to enforce.  We referred to them as Section R as in:  "This is standard practice, right out of Section R...".  To the best of my recollection, no one ever questioned me about it.

~thirdeye~
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 1104 vs appendix c