Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / certification for aluminum
- - By cowgirlsride Date 09-27-2007 02:15
i am in oklahoma looking for a place that i can take the aluminum pipe test welded by mig. if someone knows of where i can get this test at please email me at cowgirlsride@sbcglobal.net much appreciated.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 09-27-2007 02:27
Hello cowgirlsride, is there a specific job that you are trying to qualify for, with a specific company and by chance do you have the details of this such as the WPS ? I am asking because if this is simply to take a specific test you should be able to contact any number of different CWEs and make arrangements for such a test. A few thoughts for consideration. Regards, aevald
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-27-2007 11:48
Most welding standards that cover aluminum welding require the employer to qualify and certify their welders, i.e., unlike welders qualified and certified to AWS D1.1, the welder's certification is not transportable from one employer to another.

One reason that each employer has to qualify their own welders, or at least they can not utilize the certifications issued by a previous employer, is that in the absence of prequalified welding procedures (as there are with AWS D1.1) each company is required to qualify the aluminum welding procedures they use. The welders should be qualified using the new employer's qualified WPSs.

Even if you qualify when you are tested by a testing laboratory, you will most likely have to be requalified when you are hired to weld aluminum if the company is working to a code or other industry recognized welding standard.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By cowgirlsride Date 09-28-2007 02:42
THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR YOUR RESPONSE TO MY QUESTION. WE HAVE BEEN TRYING FOR WEEKS ONLINE TO FIND WHERE TO GET CERTIFIED. I RAN ACROSS A MAN THAT TOLD ME TO POST A QUESTION ON HERE. I SURE WISH I WOULD OF KNEW OF THIS SITE FIRST. BUT,  I WILL REMEMBER THIS FOR KNOW ON. IF I EVER HAVE A QUESTION FOR ANYTHING AGAIN.
THANKS AND HAVE A GREAT DAY
LYNDA
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / certification for aluminum