Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Filler wire identification
- - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 09-28-2007 03:22
I have a spool of MIG wire that I don't know anything about. It is marked AS-16 , AWS-A5-17 , HI-MN-MO. I think I picked this up from a surplus shop years ago, what is it used for, and where can I find a chart to identify items like this?
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-28-2007 04:44
AWS A5-17 is the specification for carbon steel electrodes and fluxs for sumerged arc welding.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 09-29-2007 05:18
Thanks, is there a chart where I can find out more information? This is a 2.5# spool of .035 wire, seems a little small for that use doesn't it? The package says Acco Page automatic welding wire, maybee a sample?
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-29-2007 07:53
Sounds a bit odd for A5.17. The package may be mis labeled, or it could be a sample as you surmised.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 09-30-2007 04:22
What do You make of the AS-16 and the HI-MN-MO designations?
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 09-30-2007 04:58
Hello Dave, as I remember Acco Page wires were an Airco trademark. So, as I'm sure you did, I tried various combinations of searches to find information on the numbering that you listed, nothing came up. I am curious, have you put this wire on any of your machines yet and run any to see the results? Another couple of questions, is it magnetic and does it look similar to mild steel wires of other manufacturers or is it a strange one? If you can run some of it and see if the weld deposit is soft, hard, malleable, cracks through the center of the weld or down the edges, etc. at least this might answer some questions for you. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 09-30-2007 05:37
you sure the HI is right? MN and MO are on table of elements?
Just an idea!
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-01-2007 04:08
I havn't tried this wire, it is magnetic and copper covered, like common MIG wire. The box is marked American Chain & Cable Company Inc. Page Divison. From the company name changes I figure this must have been made in '76-'82 time frame. I guess that the HI is abreviated from "high" and the MN & MO are the alloying elements. The surplus guy I got it from thought it might be a hard surface wire, I don't know how He arrived at that conclusion, maybee froim the MN & MO.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 10-01-2007 05:52 Edited 10-01-2007 05:59
found an interesting article about page and ACCO while doing a search, dont say anything about welding wire though!
http://ww3.telerama.com/~cass/Pagefence.html
edit- and this link saying they supplied incorrect weld metal to some nuclear plants
http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/gen-comm/bulletins/1978/bl78012.html
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-01-2007 06:03
Hello ctacker, that is indeed some interesting stuff. Made for some good reading. Thanks, aevald
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 10-01-2007 06:20
glad to see I'm not the only one interested in stuff like that, wish i would have liked history as a kid in school,i love it now!
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-02-2007 04:02
With a track record like that, who the heck knows what this roll could be?
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 10-02-2007 05:19
Hey Dave, I think ctacker figured it out, it must be the core wire for some of that fencing! LOL Regards, Allan
Parent - By Fredspoppy (**) Date 10-02-2007 11:24
Gents,
Let's get a grip.  By my count, this is the 15th post regarding this 2.5# spool of some kind of carbon steel GMAW wire.  At $10 per post (just a guess at my time and yours) that adds up to $150.  Divided by 2.5# we now have some unknown wire that is worth $60 per lb.

Throw it in the metal scrap bin and buy what you need at your local welding supply.  May cost you $3-4 per lb.

Sorry, just had to chime in with a bit of reality.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Filler wire identification