Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Measuring undercut on a weld replica
- - By edfritsch (*) Date 09-28-2007 14:32
I'm taking a CWI exam prep class at a local junior college.  Last night we started preparing for Part B of the exam by considering the undercut adjacent to a plastic butt weld replica.  The scale on the V-WAC gauge in my kit was divided into increments of 64ths of an inch.  Using that gage, the depth of the undercut measured more than half a 64th greater than 1/32", in other words the total depth was about .039".  The Part B code says the maximum acceptable undercut adjacent to a butt weld parallel to the axis of the primary stress is 1/32".  An AWS sample test question asks if the undercut is acceptable.  .039" is greater than 1/32", so I say the weld isn't acceptable, but the AWS answer key for the test says that the weld is acceptable.  I don't get it.  My instructor suggested that the measurement wasn't "enough" over the limit to be considered over the limit, and he cautioned against making the measurement process harder than it needs to be.  That doesn't give me a very good feeling.  I can rationalize either answer, that the weld was or wasn't acceptable, but only one opinion will be counted right on the day of the exam.  Can someone direct me to an AWS document that says in black and white that a measurement must be at least a full unit on a gage scale above the maximum permissible limit to be considered as exceeding the limit.
Parent - By new tito (***) Date 09-28-2007 14:54
No, I'm sure no one will, or even CAN show you such a document.

I agree with your way of thinking - if it's over the limit, it's over the limit.  BUT, and a huge BUT, here's two things that helped me as far as the test is concerened - One - An experienced CWI told me "when you start measuring defects on the replicas, if it's barely above the max limit, call it acceptable".  That goes with undercut, porosity, etc.  That's what I did, and I passed.  Not to mention that he was correct according to the practice tests I took.  Two - This is simply my thinking here - that the defect were produced (manufactured/replicated) to an almost exact size.  If there is undercut that was made by a mold, I have a feeling the original mold undercut tried to produce and exact dimension i.e. 1/32, 1/64, etc.  Same goes with porosity.  You will see they are drilled holes.  I have a feeling a 3/64 drill was used to try to similate a 3/64" spot of porosity.  Now, with that thinking, you have to realize that if the replicas are old, alot of these defects will be "wallered" out do to repeated measurement.

So, just do like I was told from the the more experienced CWI.
Parent - By ZCat (***) Date 09-28-2007 17:55
you must have some sharp eyes if you can see down to half a 64th!!!!
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-29-2007 16:59
I believe the current test has been modified to help eliminate doubt in reference to discontinuity size. I cannot remember what they did, but it was not an issue this time ( I have had 3 CWI numbers )

Gerald
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Measuring undercut on a weld replica