Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / single pass fillet weld max size
- - By H2oSkidog (*) Date 10-07-2007 04:02
Hello All,I'am confused I read in D1.1, 3.7.3.2 the max sizes of single pass fillet welds,ok...but then in table 3.7 the max sizes of single pass fillet welds are larger than what is shown at 3.7.3.2.Can anyone tell me why the max sizes differ? Thank You I'am prepareing for the exam. 
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 10-07-2007 04:43
The sizes in 3.7.3 apply to weathering steels only.  You should read the Commentary for 3.7.3 in the back of the book.
Parent - - By H2oSkidog (*) Date 10-07-2007 17:11
Thank you, for takeing the time to answer my question and the suggestion.I did read the comentary[after reading your post] it helped some.Does anyone know where I would read the maximum pass size allowed relative to the diameter size of electrode.For example where I work we do FCAW with .045 wire and 5/16 is the max single pass fillet permitted.Where does this rule come from?Some info. is like pulling teeth to get an answer at work.Thanks for all you do.         
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 10-07-2007 18:43
I dont think its written, but I've always used 5x the wire diameter as a starting point! there are alot of variables such as position ,heat, material etc.
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 10-08-2007 00:52
I can only guess, but 5/16 is the max size single pass fillet permitted in Table 3.7 for GMAW/FCAW overhead position.  The other positions allow larger fillet sizes. Perhaps your company chose the most restrictive fillet size for their WPS.
Parent - By H2oSkidog (*) Date 10-08-2007 02:00
Again thank you both MBSims and Ctacker .I personally use 1/16 dia.wire if theres a lot of the 5/16 welds to do [that works with what Ctacker said] .I will check the Linclon spec sheet or ask the assisant foreman that writes the WPS's[he and I dont talk much unfortunately].I will post answers if I find any. 
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / single pass fillet weld max size