Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Arc Force Control
- - By ktemps Date 03-31-2001 11:45
On my Stick Inverter it has a knob for varying the Arc Force.
I have changed this throughout the range from Min to Max but can find no apparent change in my welding arc.
Can anyone tell me what this arc Force Control is supposed to do and how does it work.
Parent - By Mike Brace (**) Date 04-02-2001 11:57
Arc Fource or Dig as it is called works like this. Stick is done on a constant current type machine what this means is that you preset amperage say at 100 amps. The only current variations you will have is when arc length gets longer or shorter, voltage gets higher as arc length gets longer and goes down as it gets shorter. Current will only go up or down about 10% of pre set, in this case 90 to 110 amps. What Arc Fource does is add extra current as the arc voltage goes down below some pre determined voltage. With a Miller machine his is 19 volts. If I set the Arc Fource control at 100% as the arc voltage starts to drop below 19 volts the Dig circut will start adding additional amperage. The lower the voltage gets the more amperage the dig circut will add up to about 150 amps at about 10 volts. 75 ampes at 50% and so on. What this does is helps stops the electrode from sticking in the puddle. This allows for when the joint starts to get tighter the operator can push the rod in to the joint the arc voltage will go down and the machine will add current making the arc push through the joint. This means that the origional current setting does not need to be turned up every time the joint chages a little. It will make less work for the welder and help improve the quality of work
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 04-03-2001 00:44
Glad to see ITW participating in the Forum.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Arc Force Control