Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Time limit on weld test
- - By reflex_ak Date 10-08-2007 17:47
I took a test on 3/8 pl open root tig and filled with lo-hi. I was told to have it done in an hour. Is there a time limit on this or other tests. Dan
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-08-2007 18:00
Dan,

]Don't know what code your working to but I'm not famillair with any code driven time constraings on welder performance qualification testing.

Having said that, a prospective employer certainly may make an employment test procedure with special restrictions on things like grinding, chipping and time.  What is important is that they tell the welder up front of all the conditions they may require...  They should be stated in the WPS that is provided prior to the test.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 10-08-2007 18:11
Dan, Lawrence is correct, there are no code constraints on time however the employer can, and often should place time limits... it should be somewhat reflective of what would be expected of you on the job however, it wouldn't seem fair unless you were informed right up front.  On a side note, I'm not positive I'd agree this is the type of thing that I would personally post on the WPS.
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 10-08-2007 18:10
We have a time limit (company imposed) on all the routine welder performance tests.  It's something that has evolved over the years due to the high number of people we test. 

Time limits do two things: 
1)  They weed out would be welders that don't have the skill.
2)  They weed out those that may have the skill, but have production rates that are unacceptable.

That said, we still hire some of them and put them into a training program that helps them get to a level that enables them to succeed.

Charles
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 10-08-2007 19:21
Tested 6 welders Saturday. 4 plate test 1/2 inch. Everybody started @07:30 One welder finished and stacked his plates at 10:00 Next one at 13:30. THe other 4 were still welding at 17:00. First two were ofered jobs. One of the other 4 was offered a beginning welder position. One poor guy was still on his first plate. I wanted to put him out of his misery before lunch but the company man said let him weld.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-08-2007 22:25
Hey thats reality, up close and personal.

As a hotshot youngster with a pocket full of aerospace Tig Certs and fresh out of the military I bit off more than I could chew on a couple of tests... The worst was at a refinery I discovered I had no business approaching. 

It's good to be humbled from time to time.  Sometimes ya think your the best until you actually meet the best and they show you just exactly what excellence is all about.

Next thing you know your doing things that seemed to be impossible when you first attempted it. 
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 10-09-2007 15:24
I've never been a fan of time limits on performance quals. An inspector should be able to tell whether or not a 'welder' has the skill. Sometimes just by lookin at the guy. I mean, if he shows up to test in sandles and polyester bermuda shorts, he aint gonna make it.
Sometimes by how he just 'approaches' the test coupon (or perhaps trying to strike a tig torch). But most often because he is taking more metal out than putting in.
But, a good thing about time limits, I suppose, is minimizing the number of grievances that land on your desk, because you're the no good azzhole that treated the inflated opinion unfairly. There is no judgement to be questioned.
Parent - - By dmilesdot (**) Date 10-16-2007 11:43
New York State DOT welder test is given in the vertical and overhead postions.  Welders are told up front that they have a four hour time limit on each coupon.  The plates are 1" thick, 5" long.  If a welder cant weld that up in four hours there is a problem.  We had to do this because guys were coming in to take the test and taking all day (8hrs) to weld up one coupon.  Most guys who pass, come in finish the test within 2-1/2 hours.  You cant baby sit these guys, we also limit "practice time" because we had guys who would take until lunch time "practicing".  In my opinion, when a welder comes in to test, thats what hes there for, to test.  Not to practice.  It shouldnt take hours and hours to get a feel for the machine.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 10-16-2007 13:40
dmiles,
I've never given a guy time to practice. Set up your coupon, dial in the machine, light it up and go. The test is tough because its unforgiving in a sense (no ID grinding, tough positions, etc.), but its also lenient in that the conditions are as ideal as the testing welder has intelligence and ability to make it (perfect gap, perfect landing, keeping yourself comfortable, etc).
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Time limit on weld test