Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / oxygen bottle rack???
- - By tightline11 (**) Date 10-09-2007 14:29
hey guys,  just looking for a little  help,  i was wondering on the  lay down style of bottle racks, where did you  get the measurements???  trial and error??? did ya'll just build em????  i  have the up right  kind  on my truck  and  was thinking about  changing   to the  lay down style. i  saw alot of  your trucks  on  here that  ya'll  have some really  nice rides  alot of goood talent in this forum, any  help at alll would be great   a picture  would be excellent,   im not wanting to  be a copy cat   just wanting some ideas    thanks
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-09-2007 15:24
I'm not sure that a lay-down rack would be a good idea for high pressure gas flasks. I believe I remember a local welder being ticketed during a spot safety check by the State Police for having that style rack.

Another good reason not to use that style rack is because the acetylene tank has acetone (liquid) in it to stabilize the acetylene. The acetylene (gas) is dissolved in the acetone just like carbon dioxide in a can of soda. The acetone will flow through the regulator and hoses if the tank is in the horizontal position when the valve is opened. This is not a good thing.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By rlitman (***) Date 10-09-2007 18:30
Well, MC acetylene bottles were originally designed to be mounted horizontally on MotorCycle handlebars.  That's why they have the funny angled valves.
Really old B acetylene bottles had the valve mounted off center, so you could mount them horizontally on a car's running board.
Of, course, those are the ONLY examples I could come up with, and every other acetylene bottle I've seen needs to be used vertically.

OTOH, back to today . . .
Yeah, its a really bad idea to -use- any liquid containing cylinder (Acetylene, CO2, Propane, MAPP, etc.) horizontally.  The valve (or siphon if you're desiring a liquid output) is designed for a vertical orientation.
The top post however asked only about mounting oxygen bottles horizontally (not fuel).  So the above response might not apply if he was doing oxy-gasoline cutting, but . . .
In my opinion, its also probably a not too good idea to -transport- ANY pressurized cylinder horizontally.  That would leave the valve in a more vulnerable position.  Yeah, valve covers help, but putting the valves up and out of the way is safest.  Even with the tanks properly secured (so they can't crash into something), something could more easily crash into a valve on a horizontal tank.

-- Robert
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-10-2007 04:18
Maybe I read the post incorrectly, but it appeared to me that he is proposing placing both the oxygen and the fuel gas in the horizontal position. Joe Kane is usually right when he gives advice. However, laws are subject to change, but I don't believe this one has.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By rlitman (***) Date 10-10-2007 17:20
I don't claim to know anything about regulations/laws directly related to this post, but I do know that these cylinders must be secured upright on a hazmat placarded vehicle, however I doubt he would be carrying that much gas, and such quantities would bring up other safety issues as well.

I also forgot something in my previous post.  Liquid under gas pressurized containers need to be kept upright for yet another reason.  The relief valve (be it a fusable metal, or burst disc), is designed to vent the gas phase of the contents only, and in the case of a fuel, it is supposed to vent up to minimize the spread of fire.
So, if the cylinder contains a liquid, it MUST be keep vertical.

In any case, I'm certainly not advocating storing compressed gas cylinders horizontally.  Legal or not, it goes against everything I've been taught/told.
BUT, if I -had- to do it, I would take special care to ensure the valves are protected.  i.e. mounting between the truck's frame rails (over the middle, and not near the sides), with a guard over the valves at least as strong as a truck bumper with room to collapse a bit, and I would always travel with the regulators removed, and the proper valve cover fitted.

Good luck,
-- Robert
Parent - - By Root Pass (***) Date 10-09-2007 19:54
If you can tell me how to post the pictures from "my pictures" I have a couple of good close ups or send me your e-mail. Although I'd still like to know how to post actual pictures not just a link.
Parent - By ross (***) Date 10-09-2007 20:37
After you make your post, look for the "Attach" link under your post in blue. That allows you to embed a picture in your post.

Ross
AWS Marketing
Parent - By Root Pass (***) Date 10-10-2007 02:14
I WAS SUPRISED TO SEE THIS ONE WITH THE ACY MOUNTED HORIZONTAL...BAD DEAL ON THAT ONE
Parent - By JIMMY_B (*) Date 10-11-2007 03:22
That is a very nice little set up on that skid back in the day I had a set up like that but not that nice. Thinking of building one for one of my 200's.Jimmy
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 10-10-2007 02:46
Tightline

Federal Law requires thet the bottles be mounted in the upright position and secured so that they cannot move in relation to the vehicle.

The fines for horizontal transportation can be "confiscatory"!

Please be carefull!

Joe Kane
Parent - - By tightline11 (**) Date 10-10-2007 12:54
hey guys  thanks for alll the info  and the pics  and  i  was talking about  just the oxygen bottles laying  down  not the gas,  Joe   i  hadn't heard  about the laws   sooo maybe  what i  have set up on my truck is better than  getting a big ole  fine lol   i  just   had seen some  of the pipeliner guys  with  there bottles laying  down,  and  it saves alot of space,  i  got  on  some web site (performance53) and there trucks are rigged out  like that  again  thanks  for  the information and sorry for the confusion,   another question  is where  can  i get a good set of welding cable reels??????   thanks
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-15-2007 03:57
I have an 04 crew cab dodge with the factory bed on it i built a skid for it and i have a full bed width tool box my 200 machine 2 act bottles uproght and 2 oxy bottles in a rack laying flat gauges towards the tail gate always connected to bottles the skid has a divided drawer in it for hand tools and theres an umbrella pole and an umbrella holder ( 8'' pvc in a rack) i have been stopped by city cops highway patrol and border patrol and all they ask is whats in the bottles ( welders have been caught transporting drugs in thier bottles) they have never said anything about the gauges being hooked up or the way the bottles are mounted maybe you guys have just run into some bad caops having a bad day trying to meet thier quota of tickets for the day i'd show pics of my rig but have no clue on how to get them on here
Parent - By tightline11 (**) Date 10-15-2007 12:39
hey  rafter  thanks  for   the comment   i wasn't going to  argue  with any one about  the  bottles   i know  i  have seen alot of rigs  that have them laying  down  and i  thought  it was a goood  idea   and a good way to  save  bed  space  and   about   ur pics   im lost   on that tooo   lol   thanks
Parent - - By tompit9 (***) Date 10-15-2007 12:56
how much do you want to spend?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-15-2007 16:36
I did some on-line searches and won't point to anything specific that says how to secure your welding gases to your truck. You can read them and draw your own conclusions if they are applicable.

a couple of excerpts:

1926.350(a)(4)
When cylinders are transported by powered vehicles, they shall be secured in a vertical position.
1910.253(b)(5)(iii)(A)
Fuel-gas cylinders shall be placed with valve end up whenever they are in use. Liquefied gases shall be stored and shipped with the valve end up.

A couple of informative sites that may not apply, but interesting never the less.

http://www.workcover.nsw.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/92F40BF9-4126-4C82-9FDB-33DC6CE21E1D/0/transporting_small_gas_cyclinders_966.pdf

www.airproducts.com/nr/rdonlyres/9d325c49-7c62-41e5-aa0b-8411db4d84f8/0/safety13.pdf

http://hazmat.dot.gov/ (some proposed rule changes)
PART 177--CARRIAGE BY PUBLIC
HIGHWAY
41. The authority citation for Part 177
would continue to read as follows:
Authority: 49 U.S.C. 5101-5127, 49 CFR
42. In § 177.840, paragraph (a)(1)
would be revised to read as follows:
§ 177.840 Class 2 (gases) materials.
(1) Cylinders. Cylinders containing
Class 2 (gases) materials shall be
securely lashed in an upright position,
loaded in racks, or packed in boxes or
crates and securely attached to the
motor vehicle to prevent the cylinders
from being shifted, overturned or
ejected from the vehicle. A cylinder
containing a Class 2 material may be
loaded in a horizontal position provided
that the cylinder is designed so that the
inlet to the pressure relief device is
located in the vapor space and the
cylinder is properly secured and lashed.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-16-2007 00:13
Class 2 material may be
loaded in a horizontal position provided
that the cylinder is designed so that the
inlet to the pressure relief device is
located in the vapor space and the
cylinder is properly secured and lashed.

what class is oxygen my act bottles are up right just have the oxygeb bottles laying down and secured in a rack they dont move any at all and if i get a ticket well then ok. i neve said it was legal was just letting yall know how my rig is set up thats all
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-16-2007 02:46
From Al's post I surmise that Your oxy cylinders fall under class 2. The exception would be liquid tanks, but I doubt that is what You have on the truck.
Parent - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 10-16-2007 00:27
great info al, i have welded for 18 years off of the back of my truck. I have welded in many states in the midwest and never have been stopped by the DOT or Highwy patrol for improper storage of my bottles. I know OKLA,KS and TX dont enforce these laws.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / oxygen bottle rack???