Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / I was an arc welder!
- - By mooseye (**) Date 10-09-2007 15:21
Back in my younger days, I was new to the TIG field and about the smallest guy on the project of about 2000 workers. This was a nuclear project, so I can see how they could miss a little weld.
It so happened that the day they were making a big pour, someone noticed a 2" SS weld that had not been completed. Since it was down in the pour, it was surrounded by re-bar at about 1 foot centers. The foreman sent someone after me to finish the weld.
Well, I brought my gear and crawled down into the re-bar and was getting set up for the weld. It was a very hot summer afternoon and the sweat was streaming. Sweat, as it turns out is a very good electrolite. I started to adjust my stickout and when I touched that tungsten with that wet glove I had the strangest sensation in my left elbow. I turned my head to see an arc about an inch long and looking like a gouger coming out of my arm into a re-bar. I have had lots of arcs go into my body, but that is the only time I ever saw one come out. It burned a hole the size of a dime and a quarter inch deep in a split second.
That day I truly was an arc welder!
Oh yeah, I did finish the weld after getting a pair of dry gloves and some sleeves.
Parent - By Aspirate (**) Date 10-09-2007 20:25
:giggles:
I've had several occasions where it goes thru my funny bone.
I've put filler rod thru my skin before, but no arc yet.
Arc gouging out of your arm, thats insane!
Lemme guess, about 100 amps?
Did you report it to the foreman, and what was his reaction?
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 10-09-2007 20:44
"a hole the size of a dime and a quarter inch deep "

In you or in the rebar?

Hg
Parent - By mooseye (**) Date 10-10-2007 23:55
In my arm. And no I didn't report it. This was 34 years ago. I just shrugged it off and went on with the job at hand.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / I was an arc welder!