Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / cwi exam
- - By widgeon Date 10-10-2007 00:10
i have been reading a lot on this forum in past few months, this is my first post.I passed the cwi exam on my first try. Im here to tell ya that the practical part of the exam is one messed up puppy, in my opinion, they dont want to know if you have the knowledge of measuring discontinuities, they want to know if you can be tricked into putting the wrong answer.that was the only part of the test that i felt really uncomfortable about, the open book and the fundamentals was very easy to me, but i will say that i studied for 2 months before i went to a very intense prep course given by real educational services and taught by gerald taylor. if any of you want to take the test i highly recommend real educational services, i was very prepared for the test.
Parent - By ZCat (***) Date 10-10-2007 00:46
oh boy, here we go!
Parent - By RANDER (***) Date 10-10-2007 02:50 Edited 10-10-2007 02:53
A child can measure a 1/16 pore of porosity and add it to a 1/8 pore.  A CWI can tell you if its acceptable to any code!

BTW congrats on passing!!
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 10-10-2007 14:18
could that part of the test be evaluating your ability to make a tough decision? in real life you will see welds in poorer condition than the ones in the test
Parent - By SCweld (*) Date 10-10-2007 21:10
I don't feel the practical exam is there to 'trick' you but merely to show you the tough decisions you will be called upon to make.  1/64" here, 1/64" there but in the end is it acceptable according to code?  That's the point!  Can you make the tough call and be right?
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / cwi exam