Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / A question about Part B interpretation
- - By edfritsch (*) Date 10-10-2007 19:45
In Appendix VII of the CWI exam Part B code book it says:

The sum of the diameters of visible porosity shall not exceed 3/8 inch in any linear inch of weld...

What if I had two perfectly circular 7/32 inch holes spaced horizontally exactly 1 inch (center to center) apart?

If my 1 inch measuring interval starts at the eadge of on hole so the interval completey contains that hole, it will not reach far enough to include the other one.  Weld acceptable?

On the other hand, if my 1 inch measuring interval starts at the center of one hole, it will contain half that hole and it will extend far enough to include half the other hole as well; the interval will "touch" but not completely "contain" two defects whose added diameters exceed 3/8 inch.  Weld unacceptable?

Which is the proper interpretation?
Parent - By johnnyh (***) Date 10-10-2007 21:53
I think the key word is "any".  Both indications are within an inch of each other so you would use an interval which included some of both making it unacceptable by that criteria.  I dont have it in front of me.  I am still a rookie CWI so wait for the veterans to chime in.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 10-10-2007 21:55
only measure what's in the 1"
Parent - - By RANDER (***) Date 10-10-2007 23:34
Acceptable

Draw it on paper and measure it. 
If they are exactly 7/32" dia. and exactly 1" center to center there is no way to include more than 7/32" porosity in a linear inch. 
3/8" = 12/32"
7/32"< 12/32"

Question is though - If you measure from the middle of a circle are you measuring the diameter or the radius?
Parent - By strat (**) Date 10-11-2007 00:28
edfritsch,

in responce to your last question [ if your one inch interval started in center of the two holes ] then it would be unacceptable, that question was brought up during the cwi seminar that i attended, the instructor said that

you would add the total width of both.
Parent - - By g32141 (**) Date 10-11-2007 00:38 Edited 10-11-2007 00:49
Isn't a pore of porosity measured by its diameter and not its radius?

You can't make 3.5/32" of a pore of porosity magically disappear just because you draw an imaginary line through it. You can't just disregard what is on the outside of that line you drew if it's part of the same defect.
Parent - - By strat (**) Date 10-11-2007 01:22
as i stated what the instuctor said we was not talking abuot a hole but elongated porosity
Parent - By g32141 (**) Date 10-11-2007 02:24
You'll always have a leg to stand on if you use that fomula no matter what method you are using whether it be MT PT UT VT or RT.

If you have a certain amount allowed within a certain distance and they all accumulate to exceed (reject) that amount then it needs to be a repaired. Or at least a portion of that distance needs to be fixed so the other defect is acceptable on the assumption that the repaired weld has no new defects that combine to reject it again.

If someone tries to make you accept something like that just step back explain your point and tell them that they can sign it off as acceptable if they feel like it. Guess what? They won't.

They'll get mad as hell , ranting and raving but if you can prove your point and that you acted in good faith you won't lose in the long run and it will get fixed.
Parent - By RANDER (***) Date 10-11-2007 03:06
I thought I was answering his question in in the strict boundaries that he asked it in but as I read closer after having a few beers I see I should have clarified a bit more  -  My rhetorical question was meant for him to see that ,as you state, porosity is measured by its diameter and not its radius and therefore the sum of the diameters of all visible porosity should be included regardless of how much falls within your 1" of measurement. 
Thats what happens after a long day. 
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 10-11-2007 03:55
I would agree with g32141, and i might even try giving fractional fractions next time my boss wants a dimension! lol
Parent - By g32141 (**) Date 10-11-2007 04:19 Edited 10-11-2007 04:24
If you have a valid point that makes sense you will never be wrong even if others disagree with you.

You must make sure that you are right beforehand though.
Parent - By g32141 (**) Date 10-11-2007 03:00 Edited 10-11-2007 03:06
I tried to reply through some of the replies to your post but it was not possible.

It says that the original post doesn't exist.

Not sure how it works because I marked them all as read.

Your post shows up but I can't respond to it. I get a pink looking screen saying that the original post doesn't exist.

Edited for spelling and grammar
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / A question about Part B interpretation