Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / FCAW-SS
- - By overthehill (*) Date 04-02-2001 04:54
Does anybody in the industry use self sheilding flux core wire?
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 04-02-2001 13:07
We use it somewhat on our jobsites for field connections depending on the application and welder experience level. It's a lot easier than having to run gas lines to the wire feeder. If there isn't a lot of welding to do, we use SMAW.
Our shop welding is done with gas shielded flux cored.
CHGuilford
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 04-03-2001 00:31
Self shielded flux cored arc welding (FCAW-S) is the process of choice for structural steel fabrication and erection. Gas shielded electrodes are used primarily for shop and pipe fabrication (there are exceptions to every rule).
Parent - - By overthehill (*) Date 04-03-2001 04:59
Thanks for the replies. Next question. The recommended polarity for FCAW-S is DCSP(DCEN). Does this process provide good penetration. I've always associated DC- with the old style high speed sheet metal welding with 6013. The techs even suggest DC- for GMAW to control penetration on the thinner gauge metals. Does FCAW-S penetrate or just kind of tie in and float on top. The smaller wires (.035 and .045)seem to use an awfully low voltage for the amount of filler metal being deposited.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-03-2001 10:25
I can't speak for all wire classification but the E71T11 provides good penetration. I'm not sure if ALL self shielded wires are DCSP. Another charactristic I have found is that the SS wire is less tolerant of voltage changes.

Think about this one. If you have a tig rig set on DCRP which piece receives more heat. The electrode or the base metal?

I've never figured that one out based on the way SMAW responds to polarity. Maybe someone can explain the principle behiind FCAW-SS

Good day

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By M-Squared (**) Date 04-03-2001 14:07
During GTAW, using DCEN approximately 30% of the heat is at the electrode and 70% of the heat is at the work piece. This creates deep penetration with a narrow melted area. DCEP is just the opposite. 30% of the heat is at the work piece while 70% is at the electrode. This creates shallow penetration and a wide melted area. For this reason, during DCEP welding the size of the electrode should be increased to accommodate the increase in heat input to the electrode. However, DCEP is seldom used with the GTAW process because the heat is concentrated at the electrode. AC welding cycles between DCEN and DCEP. AC is normally used in lieu of DCEP welding because you get the benefits of both.

Both the SMAW and FCAW process do not react in this manner. That is, I don’t believe you see a change in heat input to the electrode and work piece the way you do during GTAW. For these processes, current use is dependent on the flux that is used. For example, 6010 has a cellulose flux DCEP is used with these electrodes. When DCEN is used you will see more spatter and the metal spatter and the metal that is transfer will be large drops like globular transfer in GMAW. 6010 should produce a spray like transfer (this is the case when welding using DCEP). On the other hand, 6012 will be more stable with less spatter when DCEN is used. This electrode has a Rutile, Lime flux.

FCAW is a combination of SMAW and GMAW. The type of transfer depends on the type of flux that is used along with current and voltage.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-03-2001 18:08
Thank you

That cleared up some things for me.
Parent - - By overthehill (*) Date 04-04-2001 04:57
Does anybody know of a website with tech support dealing with electrodes. I've tried Miller and Eutectic.
Parent - By Ti double-G er (*) Date 04-04-2001 11:18
www.Alcotec.com
This site is OK and from here you can link to other platforms
......Sean
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-04-2001 15:05
Try this one for Lincoln FCAW http://www.lincolnelectric.com/products/wprod/arccons/fcawss.asp

This one For ESAB FCAW SS
http://www.esab.com/ESAB/showprod.cfm?&DID=8&CATID=26&ObjectGroup_ID=122
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / FCAW-SS