Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Feeder boom
- - By aevald (*****) Date 10-11-2007 23:40
Hello all, I know many of you probably fight space issues on your shop floors and are constantly having to worry about running over cables, hoses, and other sorts of things. In the school's shop I built a feeder boom to address some of those issues and to also give students an idea of some of the different sorts of things they may see in industry. This particular boom set-up is capable of reaching an area approximately 40' x 20' inside of the shop and when the roll-up door is open, it can reach outside the door to cover an additional amount of space. Located on the wall plate underneath the swing point is a hand winch that allows the operator to lower the feeder so that the wire can be changed or the wire speed can be adjusted if necessary. If you do use something like this, just make sure that the mount and boom assembly will carry the weight. Look forward to seeing other's approachs to this issue. Best regards, Allan
Attachment: feederboom002.jpg (126k)
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 10-11-2007 23:42
almost exactly like one i built years ago!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-12-2007 01:55
Allan,

Very slick... I'm taking notes again.

By the way;  Are any of your students older than that Hobart in the background?

Are you??

::::grin
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-12-2007 02:40
Hello Lawrence, the Hobart in the background, that you asked about, is the machine that I mentioned in the post when you talked about the MM35 that you said you had drug out of moth balls and that short-circuit transferred so sweetly. I don't know exactly how old it is(unlike myself), but it is a motor/generator 300 amp, 100% duty cycle, CV output power source. The legend on the machine says "Hobart  Microwire", it is a phenomenal machine for running GMAW-S and FCAW-G. Is powered by a 15 HP 3-phase motor and whines like a ........ Tried to determine age but haven't had any luck. Hobart Micro-Wire, Mod. MC 300, Ser. No. SBW 22386, Spec. No. 4914A  Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-12-2007 04:25
I have some literature from Hobart showing those machines and using the "Micro-wire" name, It is "Hobart Arc Welding News" AWN-170. As near as I can tell it was sent with some corospondence from Hobart in Aug, 1962. They were promoting it pretty heavily at that time as a "Major Welding Breakthrough".
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-12-2007 10:54
Hi Dave, thanks for the heads up. the 1962 year would make a lot of sense. It just looks as if this machine would be of that time frame and as to you Lawrence, I guess I would be just slightly older than the machine then. Thanks again Dave, Regards, Allan
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-12-2007 11:57
Heh,

I was in diapers about that time.
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 10-12-2007 16:54
Allan, all of these projects you are showing us are impressive.  Very nice work, and thanks for sharing!
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 10-12-2007 17:09
Thanks bozaktwo1, I do hope that others will take the time to post some of their different items that address these same types of issues, I'm always looking for different approaches and understandings. Regards, Allan
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Feeder boom