Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / How Difficult is 12018 Work?
- - By tom cooper (**) Date 10-12-2007 09:32
Hello-
We were told to get qualified and comfortable with 12018M1 & M2 rod and have not had a call for this in anyone's memory.  According to one of my local suppliers (who has never sold any), 12018 was developed specifically for work on HY steels for the Navy and they require special welder testing presumably because it is so difficult to work with. I don't know how true this is, but we will need to use it on some other higher carbon CrMo steels and I don't know more specifics than that right now.

So - don't know what to expect (no WPS yet) and any advice or experience to get going in the right direction would be helpful.
Thankyou.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 10-12-2007 11:57 Edited 10-12-2007 11:59
For the welder, it is just like running 11018M or 7018.  Usually, post weld heat treatment is essential.  The pre and post weld heat treatment will be part of your procedure qualification.  This electrode can also be used for 4140 and 4137 material.  When 4137 is welded, exact attention to the WPS is absolutely essential.  High preheat for some of the base metals joined by this electrode can be problematic.  I had a job with thick 4140 material that required 600 degree preheat and interpass temperature.  Welders can handle 400 and even 450 degree preheat, but over that, manual welding just is not possible without special shielding.  In that job, we were able to switch to Hobart 120 FCAW electrode.  Using different post weld heat treatment than normally prescribed, I was able to get the preheat down to 450 degrees.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-13-2007 07:55
I agree with Joe...running the bead is for all intents the same....its material and pre and post heat that count.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-14-2007 00:36 Edited 10-14-2007 00:39
I hate to disagree with both you and Tommyjking Joe, But I've personally have burned quite a few pounds or was it tons of both and they definitely do not run the same!!! There are similarities but, to say they run the same is not accurate!

Case in point: I've ran 11018M & 8018 when we were building Ohio class & LA class Submarines up in "Rotten" Groton, CT for years, and one could always tell the difference by sight and by feel ;) The same could be said when I went out on power plant jobs and used 7018 which was totally different in feel and looks compared to 8018 & 11018, or even 12018M rod or FCAW wire. They are similar but not the same!!! Btw, Al's correct if you're doing NAVSEA/NAVSHIPS work ;) That's it!!! I'm tired and I'm going back to sleep!!! Good night All :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-14-2007 11:24 Edited 10-14-2007 11:36
Henry I am sure you have run way more of this then me...I have only used the 120 on a few occasions....and other then I was welding on preheated metal it seemed close to the venerable 7018 to me....but I know the process you use to implement it is crucial to it doing its job correctly and living up to its specs.  Maybe my puddle perception is skewed but it did not seem too different to me....I know I am no expert on its proper use tho.  But all the same let me step aside and let the experts handle this.

Best Regards
Tommy
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 10-14-2007 12:24
I remember 7018 ALWAYS being a little more forgiving for bead profile than was 11018. I never used 12018.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-13-2007 16:59
Hello Tom;

What are you going to be welding that you need to use E12018 electrode?

I ask this question because while the welder may not notice any appreciable difference in using the electrode, the handling and storage of the electrode is more involved than E7018 or E8018.

Will you be working to a Navy welding standard? If you are, make sure you understand the requirements. Typically, NAVSEA TP278, TP248, and/or TP1688 are referenced by your request for quote or your purchase order (sometimes by a "standard clause"). You will need to include the added training and testing requirements to your welder training program that has been approved by a Level III and your customer. Even if you are not working to a Navy standard, they may be well worth reading.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By tom cooper (**) Date 10-14-2007 11:22 Edited 10-14-2007 11:26
Hello Al and All-

Will be working on Q&T plate, I believe 4340 or some other nickel crome alloy, we heven't seen all the details yet. As you suggested we are getting ready to qualify and "comfortable" as directed.  I have seen the rod conditioning issues that go along with this rod.   I did find one of our vets who said that carrying a 12018 puddle is like carrying a rock around, so I believe that should mean we'll need more heat input (higher amps) (??) than the lesser SMAW rods which goes along with what Joe Kane said - I'd like to get any opinion on that.

I also have came  across a concern that this rod has a lot of vanadium and should NOT be stress relieved because it will crack, so that scares me right there.  Has anyone had that problem or experience?

Thankyou very much.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-14-2007 16:17
I would be selective about the particular "brand" of electrode you purchase. Not all manufacturers use the same composition to attain the mechanical properties required. If you know that you will be doing a stress relief operation, make sure your supplier/manufacturer knows and can provide a filler metal that will be able to accommodate the PWHT you propose. They may have something in mind as an alternative to your initial PWHT proposal.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By tom cooper (**) Date 10-21-2007 11:15
Hi Al-
If you catch this post, would you mind to PM me with a suggestion on brands for 12018? I can only find two suppliers and Lincoln isn't one of them (they won't make it in less than a carload quantity).  It would not be appropriate for me to name name's on the open forum since I don't like either of the two for SMAW electrodes.
Thanks
Parent - By smallcastle Date 11-29-2007 04:44
Greeting,
I work for the DoD at a GOGO DA manufacturing complex (Arsenal). And we use a fair amount of 120 in both covered electrodes and solid wire. Mostly on 4130 and HY80. We weld most everything in the flat (1G) position because it can be positioned that way. My experience is that 120 in cover electrodes doesn't run a whole lot different that 70, 80, 90, 100 or 110. GMAW spray with 120 and 98-2 on the other had is a different story. Non copper coated ran the best. But manufactures don't make it anymore. I was told because of the low demand and the shorten shelf life. Since then we have used several different manufactures. From run of the mill up to the best stuff you can buy. (U.S. Welding Corp. out of Carson City, NV. $20.00 plus per pound) Either way it can be a challenge to lay down a good bead (both in looks and for D17.1 inspection). But as said, the preheat and interpass temps are important.
Good luck,
Smallcastle

Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 10-14-2007 18:25
I can't claim to have run "Tons" of E12018.  I still say that any welder who can run all position E-7018 will not have any problem running E11018M, E12018M or 8018C3.  It is not like running Inconel.  Yes, there is a noticable difference.  Stress Relief and Normalization are going to me essential with 4137 and almost essential with 4340 & 4140. 

If you have to develop the welding procedure, and you do not understand the metallurgy, heay treatment, and mechanical engineering involved with these materials, you should find a consultant who can "PROVE" that he has successful experience developing the procedures for fabricating and manufacturing products of the same criticality profile. 

I saw a C17 Aircraft Hydraulic Cylinder (4137) get destroyed because the fabricator did not follow the correct, weld shop - to heat treatment process shop, heat maintenance during transport. 

I only ran two spools of the Hobart 120, and did not find it the same as any E-71T1.  However, even though I was only a mediocre welder, I learned how to handle it in about 12 inches of practice weld.
Parent - - By tom cooper (**) Date 10-20-2007 10:33
Hi Joe-
I was just going over the advice on this thread once again and I just now noticed something in your reply that I missed before....
You mentioned "heat maintenance" between weld shop and pwht as important with 4137.  I have not heard of 4137 but I can't imagine it is too much different than 4140.  We often get into shop wide debates on whether we can let a weld cool to room temperature before stress relief or do we have to keep it hot until pwht. My recent practice is to keep the weldment hot (at preheat temp or above but not more than 500 deg F) for a while as a hydrogen bakeout precaution even though we universally use low hydrogen rods, and than slow cool to room temp if necessary for inspections or other interruptions.  Now I do notice that this 12018 rod has very low ductility - is this the reason for your suggestion of "heat maintenance" ?
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-20-2007 12:12 Edited 10-20-2007 12:16
I cannot answer for Joe    but I will give an answer I think he will approve of........

WHATEVER your wps says TOM  do it..pre and post heat......bring it to that temp and unless it gives you specific handling instructions after that post heat...you are done with it.    If it calls for pinging (phisical stress relief)  do so with a good squid.  If not leave it be brother.   Do what they ask and bother with nothing else.     Follow the wps you where provided and nothing else.     

"Tom Cooper Now I do notice that this 12018 rod has very low ductility - is this the reason for your suggestion of "heat maintenance" ?   

Tom this is a hard rod IF you do not take care of temps pre and post according to manufacturers directions  it will fail..its not too bad to weld with but you better do what you need to do pre and post weld or your wasting material and time!  Specialized rod specialized welding conditions  just follow them and you will come out on top.  Tom this rod will crack out on you if you do not do it right....follow the procedure from your manufacture and use the forum as a backup.

Best Regards   I hope I can provide some help\
Thomas
Parent - - By tom cooper (**) Date 10-21-2007 00:03
Tommy-
Thanks for the encouragement. Part of the problem I have is we don't have a WPS yet and we don't have details of the assignment either. So I'm looking into the crystal ball, trying to get smart ahead of time. And I've been shopping around for rod so we can get the feel of it.  I'll let you all know how things go.
T
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-21-2007 05:48
There is a general rule in heat treating steels that after quenching the part should not be allowed to cool below about 150F and tempered as soon as possible. This is not a welding rule, but the idea is that there will be untempered martinsite from quenching, and that is brittle. In any quench hardenable material some parallells could be drawn...
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-20-2007 14:19
Hello Tom;

The 4XXX steels are low alloy high strength steels. The chrome and possibly molybdenum and nickel increase the hardenability of the steels over and above what the carbon alone would. The four digit designation is from the SAE/AISI numbering system, so you can tell what the carbon content is by placing a decimal point between the 2nd and 3rd digits. 4137has 0.37% carbon, where as the 4130 has 0.30% carbon (or there abouts).

These steels will harden to the extent permitted by their alloy content which can be equated to carbon alone by the carbon equivalency formulas. Notice I said formulas because there are several used by industry. Each formula comes packaged with some guidelines for precautionary measures to be taken when welding. I use the formula found in Annex XI of D1.1 for many of my maintenance projects where I can perform a chemical analysis on the material. Another source of good information is in a book titled "Weldability of Steels" by R. D. Stout. Mr. Stout provides some excellent information about preheat and PWHT for a wide range of steels based on the material specification and grade, or AISI number.

The purpose of preheat is to reduce the cooling rate to minimize the opportunity for martensite to form as the weldment cools. Martensite in conjunction with hydrogen can lead to delayed cracking issues. With the high Ce steels, it is important to control the cooling to minimize the potential for forming martensite. In the event martensite is formed, we can prevent the problems associated with delayed hydrogen induced cracking by eliminating the hydrogen (proper selection of electrodes or welding process); eliminate the hydrogen by holding it at an elevated temperature to allow the hydrogen to diffuse, or by minimizing the residual stresses through post weld heat treatment.

If you allow the weldment to cool without controlling the cooling rate, you encourage the formation of martensite. If that occurs, the post weld heat treatment will allow the hydrogen to diffuse, it will reduce the magnitude of the residual stress, and it will temper the martensite, but any hydrogen induced cracks that occurred between the time welding was completed and the post weld heat treatment will not be "healed" by the PWHT. So, you have to prevent the HIC by controlling the amount of diffusible hydrogen, control the cooling rate or by simply holding the weldment at temperatures above the temperature where martensite forms until it is placed into the PWHT ovens.

To give you an example; I was called out to perform MT on some lightweight weldments made from HSLA steel. Upon arriving at the facility I was asked to MT the components as soon as the welders completed the welding (they were still warm!). I told my client that the type of steel being welded usually is not given a final inspection for at least 48 hours. They replied "Now we know, but we didn't know that at the time we wrote the P.O."

I tested several parts and then we broke for lunch. As we sat there eating we could hear "plink", "plink" emanating from the parts as they cracked while sitting on the pallets. Nearly every piece cracked after the MT. The customer said they expected as much, however, the fabricator got paid as long as there were no cracks when I performed the MT. I protested and said they are all cracking as they sit on the pallets. The client said that was OK, they were just meeting the letter of the contract that said the fabricator had to pass MT. They needed the components ASAP and were prepared to repair them when they arrived.

I don't believe the fact that the E12018 electrodes have low ductility is the only factor here. Ductility is inversely proportional to the strength and the hardness of the material. As strength goes up, ductility goes down. As ductility goes up, strength goes down. Stength is related to the carbon equivalency and the microstructure of the material. Martensite - hard, strong, with poor ductility. Pearlite - softer, not as strong, but improved ductility. In this case the high Ce will result in high strength, but poor ductility. The final microstructure, thus mechanical properties, can be controlled by the final heat treatment.

It's a crazy world!

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By tom cooper (**) Date 10-21-2007 00:31
Al-
Your reply is like a complete metallurgy course rolled into one post.  So my practice of holding ~500 deg F for a while for hydrogen diffusion would be consistent with what you describe.  That is usually an interim if we can't get into pwht right away.  I'm always worried about "slow cool". All we can do is wrap it up in blankets and hope it is slow enough. We have been fortunate except one of our guys did recently have a catastrophe where every weld on the second side of a highly restrained joint cracked (mat'l was also 4340 w/9018 rod).   I think that was a case where nothing but immediate pwht would have worked. So many variables, so little time!
Thanks for helping.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-21-2007 15:20
Thanks Tom.

Wrapping the completed weldment in a blanket is great if there is sufficient mass to retain the heat, but small, lightweight assemblies simply lose their heat too quickly to prevent the formation of the hard brittle microstructures.

The hydrogen bake-out is usually performed at temperatures above 550F, but any temperature higher than room temperature is going to allow the hydrogen to diffuse more easily. Anything that can slow the cooling rate is going to be of benefit, but once the martensite has formed, nothing short of raising the temperature above the transition temperature is going to eliminate it.

Do you usually weld the HSLA steels such as the 4340 with E9018? I would think the E9018 would be undermatched for the HSLA steel. However, the E9018 would have better ductility than the higher strength electrodes. There may have been a problem with "blue brittleness" if the temperature of the weldment was "held" in that temperature range too long during the welding process. "Blue brittleness" is a loss of ductility within the temperature range of 400F to 700F if I remember correctly. I would think that is usually within the preheat temperature range of the 4340. The welding on second side would be in a highly restrained condition as you suggest, making it a prime candidate for cracking if the filler metal has insufficient ductility within that temperature range.

That's why welding is so interesting. It is a challenge every time we pick up the "stinger".

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-21-2007 16:34
Awesome Al      The way you explain it makes it easy even for someone like me to get a grip on it!
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-21-2007 17:00
Thanks Tom.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By petty4345 (**) Date 11-26-2007 18:14
There are other areas of a shop that need to handle these materials correctly, I recently saw a piece of 12" thick 4140 that had the middle of it cut out with oxy/accet. before premachining.
The piece was not properly preheated (400°F) before the torch cutting. the part had 4 cracks in it that were 2" deep and went through the full 12" thickness. Lesson learned.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-27-2007 03:48
That cut edge is probably harder than woodpeker lips too. Machining that wouldn't be any fun even if it hadn't cracked.
Parent - - By cmays (***) Date 10-22-2007 01:22
Run it all the time building frac heads and various extreme  pressure components. Runs just like 11018 and 7018. You may notice that it will need to run a hair hotter that your 7018 but arc characteristics are similar. Will need preheat and post heat techniques.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-29-2007 07:19
For the last time, I've run tons of 11018M and E7018 and their arc characteristics are similar but, they are different whereby current required is different making the pool that much more active... Therefore showing distinct puddle behavior that is different from each other. Pre and Post heat treatment requirements make them different from the get go. If you cannot notice that, then you have not run enough of the 11018M to notice the difference. 8018, 9018, both have their own distinct differences as does 11018 and 12018 rod or electrode. they're very minute notwithstanding but still, different they are. I do'nt have the best eyes any longer but when I was young, dumb and full of you know what, I could tell the differences of these eletrodes even if they were made by the same mfg.!!! At EB we used both solid wire and Flux cored on both HY-80, 100 steel. The 12018 wire was always problematic at first and eventually the problem was solved by switching wire mfg./suppliers. Those submarines are still having fun in the sun, under the sea!!!

So make sure your pre heat and post heat requirements are met and stringent controls must be applied in order to be successful. Otherwise you'll keep hearing those nasty pinging sounds of a crack initiating!!!
Btw, Al is absolutely correct regarding the metallurgical aspects of making absolutely sure of diffusing all trapped hydrogen via pre&post heat treatment, the pitfalls one may encounter when it comes to forming martensite in the metal etc. Bottom line is, these electrodes will run very much alike if the proper pre&post heat treatments are applied, and oh btw, if the rods are also stored properly!!!

I felt like I was back in class the way Al described the characteristics of HSLA steels, and about Martensite formation: "The purpose of preheat is to reduce the cooling rate to minimize the opportunity for martensite to form as the weldment cools. Martensite in conjunction with hydrogen can lead to delayed cracking issues. With the high Ce steels, it is important to control the cooling to minimize the potential for forming martensite. In the event martensite is formed, we can prevent the problems associated with delayed hydrogen induced cracking by eliminating the hydrogen (proper selection of electrodes or welding process); eliminate the hydrogen by holding it at an elevated temperature to allow the hydrogen to diffuse, or by minimizing the residual stresses through post weld heat treatment." Go get em Al!!! :) :) :)

In other words, one's gotta get to know one's metal before one messes with it :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-01-2007 02:57
Here is some more food for thought (exerpt) that comes from an article of this month's AWS Homepage:

The nuclear Submarines
In 1959, the QT28 electrode was replaced by the QT35 electrode, which had a 35-ton-per-square-in. 0.2 percent proof stress. That was attained by stringent heat treatment from an open hearth steel making process. This steel was intended to match the properties required for Dreadnought, Britain's first nuclear submarine that was based on an American design that used HY80, also a quenched and tempered steel.

Because the properties of these steels were obtained by heat treatment, the very process of welding degraded the properties of the heat affected zone, so that very strict controls of pre-heat, heat input (run out length) and temper bead sequences were developed, to minimise the size, hardness and brittleness of the HAZ.

The as-deposited weld metal could not be heat-treated, and therefore had to have a higher alloy content to match the strength of the plate. That, in turn, increased the risks of weld cracking. Therefore the weld metal analysis/ strength was increased even more, to over-match the plate strength, to try to compensate for the lower toughness of the weld metal.

Whole joint testing was carried out by the MOD(N) Research Establishment using a specially devised "Pellini Bulge Explosion" test, in which whole test weld plates were subjected to severe mechanical deformation by explosions close to their surface.

Automatic hull butt welding still was carried out with the development of the Fusarc process, where alloying elements were added to the continuous flux coating to improve the deposited weld strength. This reduced the welding characteristics of the flux coating, but was offset by the use of an extra granulated arc flux, as in then-common submerged arc process.

This hybrid process was called "Fusemelt," and provided by BOC who had taken over Quasi-Arc. Low basicity powdered fluxes had not been developed, so that the standard submerged arc process was not capable of giving the required joint properties

Ultrasonic testing
In 1959, for the first time anywhere in large scale, heavy fabrication, the quality of (pressure hull) welding was examined not only by gamma radiography, but also ultrasonic testing. At first, normal probes scans were used.

As with the introduction of X-radiography in the 1940s, there were very few objective acceptance standards at first, and no truly standardised ultrasonic testing procedure. No significant problems were identified for some time, until the absence of a properly standardized ultrasonic testing calibration system lead to considerable confusion and widely differing defect reports by various ultrasonic testing teams in the shipyard and subsequent in-service monitoring inspections. Sequential in-service surveys appeared to show defects in the frame to pressure hull welds growing at alarming rates, causing consternation.

Eventually, a section of hull was actually cut out and tested by all the teams who each found different defect lengths. The sample then was cut up to prove that the "indications" were merely surface profile effects that had been found during the post welding inspection in the yard, but not recorded.

A more significant problem resulted from the change to the connection of the stiffener frame web to the pressure hull from simple fillet welds to full penetration tee-butts. This may have been introduced to improve and simplify the inspection and interpretation by the ultrasonic testing process, and perhaps to improve resistance to the possibility of fatigue toe cracking in subsequent service.

These welds were deposited by a semi-automatic MIG process using a 1 percent argon/oxygen shield gas and 1.6-mm-diameter Airco A632 low alloy bare wire (at 380-420 amps).

The tensile strength of this deposit was 25 percent greater than the plate strength (overmatched), to compensate for the lower toughness of as-deposited weld metal compared with the plate toughness.

It is interesting to note that, even today, submarine hulls designed with a maximum working stress close to the plate yield stress, and subjected to external pressures with extreme modes of failure, are not, and cannot be subjected to post weld stress relief. Compare this with almost universal code requirements for post weld treatments for commercial pressure vessels designed with much greater factors of safety.

Lamellar Tearing
The resulting very high tensile residual stresses induced in the tee butt welds, from the over-matched weld metals and the pre-heating regime used, exceeded the "through the thickness" or short-transverse strength and ductility of the QT35. Soon, the incidence of lamellar tearing (cracking) in the pressure hull plating below the frame webs was revealed by the ultrasonic testing. Many strange theories for the cause of the mainly sub-surface cracking were postulated, together with procedures to both avoid its incidence and repair it when found.

In the end, it was the shipyard welding engineers who deduced that the problem lay with the previously unrecognised poor through-the-thickness properties of the QT35. It was clear that the residual stresses of the tee-butt connections had to be reduced. Lower strength electrodes, with pro-active control of preheating and deposition techniques were developed that effectively overcame the problem for the frame welds.

New repair techniques were devised involving management of the application of preheat and buttering using under-matched electrodes. More research showed that it was the open hearth steel making process for QT35 which gave rise to distribution of lamellar, brittle, manganese-silicates which caused the poor throughthickness, which now is known as "Z" quality, properties.

It was realised that these were not a feature of the comparable HY80 steel, which was produced by electric furnace and vacuum de-gassed. Thus, by 1969, NQ1 steel, a modified version of HY80 steel, was introduced. This steel still is used in current submarine fabrication, and the experience gained has lead to the development of "Z" quality steels for susceptible heavy joints in commercial use in the United Kingdom.

Welding process developments
In 1967, the first commercial lowhydrogen basic flux was tested and approved using a low alloy wire, as a conventional submerged arc process. The old Fusemelt process was abandoned, leading to significantly improved applications of automatic welding for hulls.

The older MMA electrodes were replaced by slightly higher strength rods, but with improved weld metal toughness and reduced hydrogen levels. Unfortunately, careful and extensive developments of pulsed arc positional processes in the late 1960's failed to produce a viable semi-automatic process to replace positional MMA. During the early 1970's, ultrasonic testing began to be carried out using both shear and normal probes, giving much better defect location and representation. In the mid 1980's, a flux-cored wire, with acceptable mechanical properties, was introduced, which was much more productive than MMA for positional work.

Current Processes
Current welding practice for submarine manufacture involves twin tandem submerged arc for rotated sub-unit circumferential butts, and for frame to hull and web-to-table tee butts. Pressure hull static circumferential butts and sub-unit vertical seams are welded by a mechanised (positional) FCAW process, and semi-auto FCAW is used for all other welding. The use of MMA is currently limited to very few applications, mainly where access is very restricted. Current NDT practice promotes the use of digitised ultrasonics (time-of-flight diffraction), replacing radiography for butt welds wherever practical.

Respectfully,
Henry

Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-03-2007 15:21
Nice write up Henry.

How are you feeling these days?

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-04-2007 05:27
Hi Al!

Thanks for asking! I'm just about finishing up on the chemo treatments. 1st week of January will be my last treatment. :) :) :) I wanted so bad to go to Chicago this year but unfortunately, I was hospitalized again because, I had an extremely high blood sugar count (686) which made me dizzy and disoriented, so I called a friend for help, and he called the ambulance for me after I passed out!!! :(

After some time in the ER, I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes!!! They managed to get the blood sugar down to acceptable numbers and discharged me after I was properly trained in diabetes management.
So now I inject myself once a day with a type of long lasting insulin that works for 24 hours which to me is easy enough to follow... The only nuisance I have is the testing that I have to perform 4 times everyday but, it's something that I'll get used to just the same so, off I go fighting another illness... This one I can manage standing on my head once I get used to it!!! :) :) :)

Right now I'm teaching once a week until my stamina comes back. I know that it will soon come back when I get my blood sugar stabilized to the point where I will not need to have as much insulin as I am on currently.
So in summary, I'm just rolling with the punches Al!!! Thanks for asking :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-05-2007 05:49
Henry, good to hear You are coming out of the woods, sorry to hear about yet another speed bump in the road of Your life. Thursday I hear the results from last week's CT & MRI and find out if I go back on chemo sooner or later.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-06-2007 06:18
Hi Dave!
I'm always thinking about you and your struggles also so, thank you for your prayers and thoughts. :)
This time of the year always reminds me how grateful I am in spite of all of the challenges in life as you also well know, and I'm greatful to have a comrade in arms here such as yourself to inspire, and encourage me not to give up the fight!!!

Thank you Dave for your kind words, and may you and tour family enjoy this holiday season - Merry Christmas!
to you and everyone else I know:) :) :) All the best results possible for you Dave come Thursday!!! :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-07-2007 05:37
Henry, The test results aren't awefull, but it is time to resume treatment [next Tuesday] and skip a week for the holidays. My situation like Yours, is a matter of hoping the treatments continue to work in the future. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to You and everyone else as well.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 12-07-2007 05:58
Hello Dave, as I observe the interaction of all of you folks on here who are in the battle for your lives, I can only wish the best to all of you and your continued strength to keep up the fight and not give in. A kind word, a positive thought, no matter how small can mean the world to those who need to hear it or feel the sincerity behind it. I hope that you, Henry, Ryder, and anyone else who needs to feel this sort of feeling, or hear those words of support can feel that from myself and the many others who are around you. Happy holidays to you and everyone else. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-07-2007 06:00
Thanks Allan, the encouragement does help Me get through this.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / How Difficult is 12018 Work?