Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Visually assessing your work environment(housekeeping)
- - By aevald (*****) Date 10-12-2007 20:39
As prompted by johnnyh. HOUSEKEEPING, we all do it, many times we have a specific task on our minds and we jump into the work at hand without any consideration for the condition of our work area. We don't bother to look at the cords laying on the floor, the coffee or pop that we spilled, the amount of slag that was generated by our last cutting endeavor(these can sometimes act just like ballbearings or bbs), using the porta-power unit that had a leaking connection and as a result we have a great big puddle of oil on the floor that we could slip on. All of these things can become a trip hazard, slip hazard, or any number of other types of issues can arise and cause us bodily harm from not paying attention to them. When you put something back on the steel rack does the end stick out to the point where a passer by can stab themselves or slice something or possibly take a corner or point in the eye? Do you use ladders for anything at your work? Be sure you use the correct type of ladder for the job at hand. If you're working off of a ladder and using tools or other things, don't leave those items on top of the ladder while you climb down to do something else. It is likely someone else may come by and move the ladder in your absense and get hit in the head because they didn't know there was something up there, you may even do it by forgetting about having something up there. Take that extra few minutes to assess your work area and tidy it up a bit to avoid some of these really trivial things that can escalate into big injuries or accidents. If you take the time to straighten up your area you will make it safer as well as make it more productive to work from when you switch from one task to another. When you're looking for that particular tool or other item you'll know where to find it because you put it back after the last time you used it. Testimonials anyone? Other tips on reasons for housekeeping? Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 10-13-2007 00:49
Hey Allan,
You really touched one of my favorite subjects. I'm old school and my work area is sacred ground....all the guys know how adamant and sometimes downright ugly I can get regarding my area and dept. tools/equip.. I keep my area clean, organized, and know where everything is supposed to be. Many times I have growled and rendered teethmarks into some butts for sloppy work, disregard for tools/equip., and not returning a dept. tool. I even put some tactful teethmarks into the owner's butt once for not returning some tools....he couldn't challenge as he knew I was right and the manner I run my dept.. I find it only takes a little time each day to simply maintain a clean & organized area. The end result is a more productive, cost-effective and efficient dept. and that is what enhances profitability.... and one's sanity that those "FocusFactor" pills are not needed. There is so much wasted time looking for a tool or something that another has used but didn't have the forethought to simply return it. And I keep my home shop even better. You know, Allan, I'm just another "'ol timer" who learned back in the day when work ethics meant something.....those like me will never change....only try to help an upcoming youngster understand organization & care for one's work environment......Denny
Parent - - By roostenmotherbr (*) Date 10-21-2007 01:35
Thats funny yorkiepap, I just got on the owners rear the other day for leaving tools all over, there his tools but put them back, clean up your mess, he looked at me dumbfounded, no challenge.
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 10-25-2007 02:47
When I was in trade school they showed us a picture of a clean work bench and a dirty one. The question was which of these tradesmen works harder. It has stuck with me throughout my career and can be somewhat anal about it myself.
Parent - - By Mat (***) Date 12-05-2007 12:26 Edited 12-05-2007 12:37
I know it's an old-ish post, but most of the time, where I work it's constantly like a bomb went off.  A few months ago, I wouldn't have cared, but now it's really annoying.  I try to keep my immidiate area somewhat presentable, but it hardly ever stays that way.  You could leave it mint for the next shift, and come in the next day and the welders would all be tangled together, there would be cables everywhere, wedges, cut off and other stuff lying all over the place.

Where I work, "organization" is spelled with two "P's" and a "Q."  Godforbid you need chains or plate clamps or oh I don't know...parts for what you're working on?  There's no designated areas for stuff, and even then if there were, nobody would put them back.  Broom's are antichrist, and safety is last priority.  The craneway looks like something from the 18th century that was forge welded and ironically, handles about the same!  Most of the yard machinery was obviously built before lights were invented, and the internal lighting ranks up there with "street lamp."

I just don't get it...
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 12-05-2007 16:04
Hello Mat, the original post might be somewhat old, but the issue is always there for everyone out there. You do have to wonder why certain types of working conditions prevail in certain shops. Apparently as you said "they just don't get it". There are a number of fab shops in the area where I live and each one of them has a different code of ethics in regard to the general appearance and condition of their facilities. Generally the success of these companies is directly tied to how they go about things such as housekeeping, safety, and the sorts of things that you have mentioned that are going on in your facility. A lot of the time these are the same outfits who are sub-par in the pay rate area as well and cut corners on equipment, maintenance, and upgrades to facilities. I have certainly worked for the types of companies that you speak of and my answer to this sort of thing was to keep my own set of tools that I put away and locked up every night and to clean up my messes and strongly suggest for others to do the same. If you keep chipping away at it sometimes the results will surprise you, sometimes not. Certainly understand your frustration, sometimes depending on the outcome, a change is in order, of jobs that is. Best regards, Allan
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Visually assessing your work environment(housekeeping)