Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / WELDER CERTIFICATION
- - By - Date 05-21-2000 16:29
AFTER CERTIFYING WELDERS TO AWS D1.1, DO YOU SEND A COPY OF THE QUALIFICATION PAPERS TO AWS?
Parent - - By R. Johnson (**) Date 05-22-2000 13:19
NO! Your certification is only valid for the company or contractor you work for>
Parent - - By - Date 05-24-2000 15:34
I have just started a new career in the field of welding and have learned what I know from other employees. They tell me that I need to become certified and registered through AWS. I'm not sure how to go about this. Is going to college my only possible solution, if not, whom might I contact in my local area to help me become certified.
Parent - - By R. Johnson (**) Date 05-24-2000 19:06
Call AWS at 1/800/443-9353 and ask for a free copy of QC-7-93. This is the program adminstered by AWS for the certification of welders. It is my opinion that you only need this type of certification if you are a contract welder and do alot of moving around from job to job or if your in a real critical welding application and want to demonstrate a certain level of competence.
If you are going to be employed for one employer then the employer will certify you and the AWS certification would be overkill.
Parent - - By - Date 06-04-2000 11:50
I am starting a small shop at home, doing side work part time. How can I get certified for myself?
Parent - - By - Date 06-14-2000 16:50
FIND A PRIVATE TEST LAB TO TEST YOUR WELD SAMPLE. HAVE THEM WITNESS YOUR SET UP AND WELDING OF THAT SAMPLE. THEY SHOULD THEN PULL TEST SAMPLES AND PRODUCE A REPORT. EXSPENSIVE . YOU CAN AS A COMPANY WELD AND HAVE THE LAB JUST PULL COUPONS FROM YOUR PLATE A PERFORM THE REQUIRED TEST ON YOUR SAMPLE. YOU WRITE YOUR OWN CERTIFICATION REPORT. LESS EXSPENSIVE. THE IDEA OF HAVING THE TEST LAB DO EVERYTHING BRINGS MORE INTEGRITY TO YOUR CERT SO A CUSTOMER SEES YOU AS TRUTHFUL. SET UP YOUR WRITTEN PROCEDURE, WELD AND TEST THE SAMPLES YOURSELF. CHEAP OPTION. FIND A CWI TO WITNESS AND SIGN OFF ON YOUR WELD TEST REPORT. NOT TOO EXSPENSIVE

GOOD LUCK
DOMINIC
Parent - By - Date 07-07-2000 23:38
Hi guys,I'm new around here. Gotta question or two for 'ya, please...

I've already got a MILLERMATIC 185 with spool gun, and did some welding high school. Can I get certified with WABO (Washington State) without college work, or is there just a skills test? How do I go about this. Thanks.
Parent - By jl Date 12-06-2000 13:12
where are you located? what is your e-mail address?
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / WELDER CERTIFICATION