Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Mig Welder Opportunities
- - By SStaffing Date 10-15-2007 15:04
Mig Welder opportunities in Spartanburg, SC. $14/per hour. Please call 864-587-1911
Parent - - By Harley5150 (*) Date 10-16-2007 23:35
that is low!
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-27-2007 12:02
That's why there's opportunity. Can't hire skilled welders for wages paid by MacDonalds to flip hamburgers.

They will be asking for H2 visas so their can import foreign workers because they can't find any english speaking workers that will work for those low wages. After all, according to Bush and his flunkies; "they are only doing work Americans won't do!"

Right, they'll work as indentured servants for low wages and that's all that matters to the bean counters.

Come on Joe, what have you to add on this one?

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 10-28-2007 05:52
i also know they cost the company more money. years ago i worked in az and everytime they hired one, we had a company meeting about throwing
used crap paper on the floor, owner said he couldnt single out anyone even if it happened after every newhire.that and if an emergency situation arised,
how would you communicate with them. i could go on and on but its off topic so i will end it here!
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 10-28-2007 14:28 Edited 10-28-2007 14:32
Interesting note about the toilet paper.

In the early '90s I worked at a bridge fabricator (Teamsters Union Shop) that hired mostly spanish speaking (Allegedly Legal) Central Americans.  The company actually had to hold meetings in Spanish to educate the Central American Immigrants about the proper disposition of used toilet paper.  They were throwing it in the pail used for the wet paper hand towels.  In a single week we would hire three people to clean the bathroom and they would quit on the second day of work!  Some of those cleaning people were Spanish speaking too. 

Well, one persistent problem we had was, that even though we quickly solved the problem with the used toilet paper disposition, we never solved the new problem we created.  When the paper hand towels got flushed instead of being thrown in the pail, and clogged up the toilet just about every day.   We never could create the mind set, that the hand towells were different than the toilet paper segments, and could not be flushed.

We tried one of those continuous rolls of blue cotton towels that you would pull down to get a dry segment, and the uniform company would change it out and rewash it as needed.  At the time we were drilling about 30,000 holes a month using Hougen Drills.  They started cutting the rolls of the cotton towels up for cleaning rags to sop up the cutting fluid from the drilling operation.   This was despite the fact that we had bales of clean rags purchased for that purpose.  Of course the uniform company overcharged us in the back charges department, and we dumped them in less than a month.

Then the bales of rags would get looted for use as hand towells in the bathroom, because the CAs preferred them over paper towells.  We tried to bring them back out for re-use in the cutting oil clean-up, and nobody would touch them!

Then in the summer of '91, we hired about 70 short term, temporary,  CAs as laborers for a sewer treatment plant contract, and they worked outside assembling small fiberglass bolted components. (These were definitely Legals, because it was a special Federal Government program where the Feds paid for the insurance Etc, and supplemented the wages and paid the Union dues and initiation fees)  There, they wouldn't use the Port-o-Sans we hired, many would just go squat in the weeds along the fence!  It seemed that there was a continuous crisis because the CAs were used to outhouses or just squating in the field or whatever!

Despite the cultural differences,they were great workers.  They gave you an honest days work in the hot sun.  Some of them were quick learners and were eventually hired on as permanent workers in the shop. 
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 10-29-2007 00:49
I spend more in the bar before dinner, than that!
Parent - - By Mat (***) Date 11-06-2007 10:46 Edited 11-06-2007 10:51
Fresh out of welding school, I was makin 12.80 an hour (but prior to that, I was makin 8.50 an hour workin a till in a liquor store).  If you can't weld worth sh*t, take a $14 hr job and learn to weld.  *shrugs*

I can't say much more than that!  Once yeh learn, find a better job and work for the highest bidder!  Do yourself a favor, get out of the shop that flips the conveyor 12 times after paint as they add stuff after the fact, and get into the shop, field or whatever that does it in position, the first time, unless you REALLY enjoy running Metalcore 40 hours a week on stuff that should have been done a few days earlier...
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-06-2007 12:22
I agree with you Matt

14 bucks an hour for an entry level Mig welder with little or no experience seems a fair wage.  Lots of employers in my neck of the woods pay similarly.  After that the good employers will offer pay increases and the not so good ones simply loose welders when they have enough skill and confidence to move on.

With the advent of the need for some manufacturers (mig shops) to prove they have certified welders and qualified procedures in order to bid for work... Wages are being driven up.

Lots of people on this forum scoff at this kind of money... We have aerospace guys, cross country pipeliners, inspectors, etc.  I think they may have forgotten how much experience they have....  Of course they are worth more than 14 semolians.  My first welding job paid less than $5 per hour.
Parent - By yorkiepap (***) Date 11-10-2007 16:31
Hey guys,
I also agree with Mat & Lawrence regarding the entry-level wage offered as the cost of living is so varied throughout the regions of the country. In SC, that is a fair starting wage for a person with little or no experience, and it is also that way here in SW PA where I reside. Smaller companies who need good workers will look at an individual's work ethic and ability to learn and be a productive worker and the increase in wage will follow. It is up to the worker to show an employer he is worthy of a raise and that his work each day is progressing to the point of positive profitability. I know firsthand because I went thru the process of proving my worth. No company wants to lose a good worker who shows promise and has the "hunger" to learn, as it only defeats their goal of maintaining a profitable operation and successful business.....Denny
Parent - - By jmelander78 Date 11-15-2007 01:43
Even with 10 years welding experience, my husband makes 14.50 an hour. We're working on getting him certified through the community college by our house but it seems like it's one obstacle after another. You have to meet the prerequisites for one class and then that class has prerequisites...it's so ridiculous. He's also worried because he's been told that the book you have to buy for the test will cost us 500 dollars. Is this true? I mean living in so-cal means we live paycheck to paycheck and haven't got a spare 500 bucks. Any suggestions are more than appreciated.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-15-2007 09:53
There are some LA folks here in the forum who may be able to give specific names and addresses that will be more help but here is a little bit of encouragement.

There are many schools in LA that test welders for less than $500

There are a number of private labs that test welders (with no prerequisites) for less than $500

Just start with the yellow pages and keep your eye on the forum here... I'll bet others will have more good news for you

If Hubby has 10+ years under his belt he should be able to find work for way better than $14
Parent - By RANDER (***) Date 11-20-2007 10:49
Talk to the Welding Instructer at your community college.  The one at mine is very knowledgeable, administers CWI testing for AWS, and knows the local welding community.  Your instructor may be able to put you in contact with people who can help you out as well as offer advice on which companies are hiring etc.... Also in So. Cal
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Mig Welder Opportunities