Base metals:
Material Spec: All Group I & Group II per table 3.1
Thickness: Groove .125"-unlimited  Fillet unlimited
Pipe Diameter: 2" and up

Were in AWS D1.1 does it state that you can write a prequilified wps for pipe
unless im missing something I think that is incorrect

any reply's would be greatly appreciated
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 10-16-2007 17:19
Looks like a very generalized WPS.  If it's fillet welded, it's prequalified as long as the base metals being welded are prequalified, and they are being welded with a prequalified process.  If it's groove welded, it's prequalified as long as a prequalified groove joint detail is used, as long as the base metals being welded are prequalified, and they are being welded with a prequalified process.  Pipe diameter becomes an issue with welder qualifications because there are limitations with regard to groove welded pipes of less that 24" in diameter.
Parent - By rickc (**) Date 10-16-2007 17:39
3.9.2 on Page 59, 3.12.4 and 3.13.3 on Page 60 of D1.1:2006 all read that you can do tubular joints without qualification in a prequalified WPS. I would assume that the 2" limitation comes from what their welder's are qualified for.
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 10-17-2007 03:31
Realize that this is for structural welding and not pressure piping.  In D1.1, pipe is a product form only and could be used for tubular structures, penetration sleeves in concrete pours, handrails, etc.  D1.1 is not intended for pressurized piping welds.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / wps prequalified