Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / anyone in local 798 pipeliner union ???????
- - By jim parker (**) Date 10-18-2007 20:09
anyone in local 798 pipeliner union? How does the union thing work? Ive got a job offer but have to join 798.
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 10-18-2007 22:53
JOIN! Don't pass up the opportunity!
Parent - - By TozziWelding (**) Date 10-18-2007 23:05
Dumb question, I know 798 is outta Tulsa. Do they do all the pipeline work in the USA. I can join L.U. 12 outta Boston(as a weldor) which is part of the UA, does that mean I am in at the 798 hall?
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 10-22-2007 02:08
No. Hovever, if you are going to do Xcountry pipelining, they are the one. You can take your book to 798 and transfer. They are as good or bad as any other union in the US. They are making strides in some changes espically in the Bald Knob Mafia. They do have a BA who I understand is trying to make 798 more competative. As an inspector who has tested a BUNCH of 798'ers they are no better or worse than non-union welders.
BABRT's
Parent - - By ctdconstruction (*) Date 10-20-2007 00:50 Edited 10-20-2007 00:52
Don't pass up the opportunity -- there is work for 798 all over the US.

I just joined -- hell who else will pay you even if you bust a test - travel, per diem and all...

Plus you have benefits and retirement funds....

Something to think about.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-20-2007 03:08
how hard is it to join and what happened when you busted the test if you could please call me if you can if not pm me ur number and i'll call you i've been trying to get in the union in san antonio they keep wanting to send me to austin for 1.00 an hr less and no perdium the rate in s a is over 26 and in austin is just at 25
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 10-20-2007 20:57
Run from it like a scalded dog. There is way to much work out there with a ton less hassel and paying better.

Jim
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-21-2007 06:46
if you don't mind Mr Hughes could you lead me in the ritght direction of that work i need to be close to home my 3 mo. old son is fighting brain cancer glioblastoma grade 4 worst you can get
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 10-22-2007 21:30
rafterwelding,
so sorry to hear about your son. e-mail me at jimhughes71@hotmail.com and I can help you.

Jim
Parent - - By jim parker (**) Date 10-23-2007 11:20
Thanx for the info guys. I've sent in my paper work!
Parent - - By spacing tool Date 10-24-2007 00:48
Hello to everyone on here. I have enjoyed reading some of the posts on here. Told myself I would never join but. This post and another post really interest me. Jim if you have a chance to join 798 and you want to travel and be a cross country pipeline welder. The best place to do it is with them. You will have to work hard and prove yourself. There are allot of second and third generation pipeliners in there that know how to weld pipe and be very productive. I have to say for the most part it is hard to be a super star in there so do not expect that. Do a good job if you get in and make good welds. And that will get you a reputation with a welder formen. I have noticed on this forum some people have some bad ideas about unions. You have to put in what you expect from it. Everyone has to to what is best for themselves union or not. But I have read some posts on here about guys working their rigs for 65 and 75 dollars a hour and have to buy rods, fuel for the truck and welder oxygen and acetylene and whatever else. That to me is not to good. Most guys are most likely working without insurance workmens comp and at the end there year get a big old 1099. Then try to figure out enough deductions to make it worth while. I myself do not see it. All I see is a contractor taking advantge of somebody that is most likely breaking their butt for them.If all the welder stuck together things would be allot better. But again one most do what works for them. Bigkahunna you post some good information on subjects but you seem to talk about drama queens when testing out and running from tack to tack on a 12" if a welder can not do that that should not be a reason to bust him out. If a welder misses a test most of the time it is his fault he needs to except it and move on. But there are times when a welder formen or INSPECTOR does not want you there. But if you want to be a pipeliner that just goes with it. That just goes with the being a pipeline welder. Sometimes if your not from TEXAS or Louisana that has allot to do with it to. You spoke about a ba running the local a bussiness manger run the local not a ba. Ba,s are assigned so many states to their jurisdication to take care of and when a job has been given to a fair union contractor he meets with the contractor to decide how the job will be manned. That is what ba,s do they do not run the local. I have worked around some hands from Bald Knob never seen that Bald Knob Mafia though. I work up in the northeast there is not much non union work up here and I hope it stays that way and I think it will. There was another post on here tonight about a welder applying for a job with the gas company and having to take a branch test if you are going to be a pipeline welder you should know how to layout,cut,fit and weld a branch comes with the job. One must understand a branch is not something you learn in a afternoon. You need to watch someone do one. Just because one most likely is a good welder a branch takes some skill. A welder from Spain said in the post it would be unheard of for a welder to have to lay one out in Spain sounds like the welders got a pretty good deal there more power to them. With my dealing if a man can layout and weld he stands a better chance of working more. Small contractors like that they seem to want to keep men that can help with the layout. Well I hope I have not upset anyone here. I myself like the idea of a fair wage for a fair days work, good conditions, penison, insurance some locals have annunites vaction funds. That is a good deal. Contractors can't have it all. REmember without you they would not be where they are. Good Night
Parent - By AnotherPender (*) Date 11-02-2007 03:22
holy shit. i had to read that about three times to piece it all together. hahaha  Im a 3rd gen and number 7 in my family to be 798. I was raised on union money and thats how my family will be raised. You mentioned busting tests; my grandpa has always told me that if a welder hasnt ever busted a test then he hasnt been welding long enough. Its not hard to join 798. I am a helper at the moment and learning how to weld on down time at work and starting on sundays. Union is the only way to go. Anything over 8 is time and a half. Show up at the yard in the morning and a welder automaticlly get 5 hours. Work after 11am and you get paid for 10 hours. 6/10's are the working hours for most mainline jobs. most places is 40 an hour, 70 per diem (another $30 after 01/01/08) and i think its 25 an hourfor ur truck. The only thing you need to supply starting out is a truck, machine, leads, and a hood. Some jobs are paying 2 extra hours a day and furnishing fuel. I have worked from wyoming to virginia and from louisiana to wisconsin. Right now we have guaranteed work for at least five yrs. i know it doesnt sound like much but if you factor in the benefits and the ability to have an almost guaranteed check including unemployment;its well worth it be ready to travel if you want to work with the best.. . . . . . . . now the downfall, a 798 welders book is $2400. a helper's book is 1200. I would honostly recommend you to go with a helpers book so you can used the ways of pipelining and then go to tulsa and pass ur welding test for the Hall. you just pay the other 1200 and get ur welders book. keep on asking if ur still interested.
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 11-02-2007 14:42
Spacer,
I know 798 is trying to make changes. It is much easier to get a book than it once was. But I can never forget some of the things I have seen on the pipeline in past years. Hopefully the leadership of 798 will continue to recognize the changing workforce. But I have seen guys try to get a book for years while others get in simple because of who they are kin to. Helpers with 2 years get to test while experienced welders never get the call. But this is changing and that is because of the work force changes. 798 made pipelining better for everybody. I have tremendous respect for anybody who follows this calling. Union or Non-Union. But union is politics with its BS ust like working non union has its level of BS. As for running tack to tack, I tell the welders up front what I expect. I resent any inspector who will bust a man for his tacks. But I also resent the welder who tells me he has never busted a test. I have been on both sides of this game since 1983. While I may give up some of the benifits and comforts or being out of a union, I am my own person. If I hire out wrong, I have the ability to go on down the road. I have the freedom to work when and whare I want. And for who I want. I build my reputation on the quality of my work and not the collective of the group. And I do not want my pay limited by a contract or on the whims of someone. And at 50 years of age, my knees and back are not wore out. I have 20-25 years of productive work ahead of me. I see a lot of 25-30 year old young eager guys and not so many 45-50 and damn few over 50 welders. Pipeline welding is physically hard. After 20 years of steady up and down, the knees and back start wearing out. So good luck to all. And there is a fortune to be made. On both sides.
BABRT's  
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 11-19-2007 23:23
what do u mean,when u say lay it out?
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-20-2007 05:01
52: Are You refering to Spacing Tool's post? If so He is talking about the layout [marking] that needs to be done as a first step in this operation. The branch is where another pipe joins in to an exhisting pipe. The end of the new pipe needs to be marked so You can cut it to shape to fit on the main pipe, and the main pipe needs to be marked to be cut out where the branch fits. This process is layout.
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 11-20-2007 23:02
i kinda figured that was it,thanks.i was reading somewhere in here that u needed to be able to do it without a stensil,that sounds complicated.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 11-21-2007 00:35 Edited 11-22-2007 23:25
Moved to Tricks of the Trade  
Parent - By 52lincoln (***) Date 11-21-2007 03:07
y regret it,but n e how ,im lost right now
Parent - - By willyzook Date 11-02-2007 23:44
Do you have a phone number for local 798? I'd like to call and get some info on joining. I've busted on a test here or there but I'm still confident that I can make it. I'm not trying to be errogant, but any good welder should have confidence in himself if he knows that he does quality work. I'm currently an NTL member (Boilermakers) but I don't really like working inside boilers all that well. And the money isn't as good, either. Anyway, thanks for any help you may be able to offer.---Willy
Parent - - By gogden (*) Date 11-03-2007 03:08
918-622-1900
Parent - By willyzook Date 11-03-2007 06:15
Thanks gogden.
Parent - - By gaspipe26 Date 11-06-2007 16:54
My firm was just awarded a 45000' 12 steel job near Frederick MD. Im looking for 2 welders to take the Washington Gas Test and hire on to do the work. Anyone interested call Bob at 301-785-1237
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-08-2007 07:00
whats the washington gas test and what kind of money are we talking and how long is the job for
Parent - - By Roadhand (**) Date 11-22-2007 14:12 Edited 11-22-2007 14:17
Ive been working on a 798 job in FL, I didnt have to take a branch test for that job. I was invited to join 798 as a full member, I had to go to Tullsa to test on 24" last week . I passed the test, they take 12 straps to bend or nick . There is a bunch of good men running the test shop , I ran in to the man who tought me how to weld 19 years ago in bakersfield  Ca. I havent seen him since the 90's He is one of the instructors.  So far Im happy with them and will start a new job next week 42" . I will keep you posted with my thoughts on 798.
Parent - - By psyco33 (**) Date 04-10-2008 15:35
so, tell the truth  how's 798 working out for you?
I myself  who live in Tulsa  decided not to test and pay up front 560 bucks and also have talked to alot of union welders  who say... after you  pay and get in they sent you on a job then if you don't get in a click or the right group...your kinda f*$ked... so, what's your opinion on the subject?
John K
Parent - - By ctdconstruction (*) Date 04-10-2008 15:45
I joined in Oct 2007 - not knowing anyone in the union. I have had steady work since.

I left Gillette, Wy. on March 8 - called my BA and he had me on a jobsite in Pearland, TX on March 11 -- NOT TOO BAD.

Joining the Union is the best thing I've ever done....
Parent - - By Cole Welding (**) Date 04-10-2008 21:23
will the 798 union teach someone to pipeline?????
Parent - By 52lincoln (***) Date 04-10-2008 21:54
i believe they have a 5 year apprentice  program.might call and ask though.
Parent - - By ctdconstruction (*) Date 04-10-2008 22:53
Teach you to weld pipe? 
We have a training center that will teach you to downhill - but there is a waiting list.  Your best bet is to join as a helper if you don't know how and learn from there
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 04-11-2008 04:31 Edited 04-11-2008 04:34
if you dont mind.what would a helper start out at?and what would that consist of?and how long would it be before you got your chance to test out?and how would you go about it?what would they have to supply?thanks in advance for the info.
Parent - - By ctdconstruction (*) Date 04-11-2008 11:13 Edited 04-11-2008 11:16
Wages depend on what state you are working in - most states are $21.50/hr and $42.50 a day per diem plus benefits after 800 hours.   It takes $260 to start a helpers book ($1200)- and paid installments of $100/month plus $20/month in union dues. Any money paid toward a helpers book is transferable to the journeyman (welders) book($2400).
A helper's book must be paid in full before you can test as a welder. (if you choose to enter the union this way)

A helper helps the welder get his equipment out of the truck, holds the ground, heats the pipe, controls the heat, grinds and buffs, puts it all back in the truck and starts all over at  the next weld.... (basically)

A helper supplies his own gloves....

To test as a welder a helper must have 240 hours of witnessed (by 2 journeyman) welding and a recommendation. The test is $250 -- if you pass this goes toward your welder's book - if you fail you loose it and have to 30 days to test again.. The test is done in Tulsa, OK.

How long it takes? - that would depend on how fast you learn - I see helpers practicing every chance they get.

Call the union hall and ask for an application -- go ahead and ask for both the welder and the helper if you can already weld -- they may let you on into the school to learn downhill - it's worth a try. (918) 622-1900
Parent - - By Cole Welding (**) Date 04-11-2008 13:29
is the banch test hard to do????
Parent - - By ctdconstruction (*) Date 04-11-2008 13:33
No - not if you are taught to do it right.  Laying it out is the hard part. There are several post on here that explain it in detail -- if you still need help - holler I'll see how I can help.

The only place I have had to branch test so far has been at the Hall - haven't had to branch test on a job so far.
Parent - - By texasrigwelder (**) Date 04-11-2008 23:01
i didnt  have to take a branch at the hall but have had too at every job
Parent - - By dadsin798 (*) Date 10-01-2008 23:48
OK I have a question and I'm not sure where to ask it.....My step Dad is a Welder and has been for too many years, he is in the 798 Union and currently on a job in Louisiana. I want to get on the job as a helper but I'm not sure how to go about it. He says he can put in a good word for me but where do i go from there?? Another thing, I'm a female but I am an extremely hard worker and my mom was my fathers helper for 9 years and I know if she can do it I can too, but what do I do to get on and what all does it consist of?? Thanks everyone!
Parent - By cdd (**) Date 10-04-2008 19:56
Go talk to the welder foreman or the job steward. They might have you call the Business agent for Louisiana. Hope that helps
Parent - By welderjack (*) Date 10-09-2008 17:14
you can call mr. turner at 918 576 8825 and ask him , he is over the job in la. and mississippi
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / anyone in local 798 pipeliner union ???????