Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / combo welding?????
- - By Cole Welding (**) Date 10-22-2007 01:54
Is a combo welder a welder that can weld pipe and fit pipe or a welder that can weld pipe and structural???
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 10-22-2007 02:24 Edited 10-22-2007 02:26
combo welder is TIG/Stick on pipe as opposed to Fitter/Welder. They don't have a designation for pipe/structural because pipe welders are automatically certified for structural unless the structural is using a different process.
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 10-22-2007 02:42
ZCat is right. Combo welder is for tig & stick on pipe.
Parent - - By Cole Welding (**) Date 10-22-2007 05:57
how hard is it to tig a root?????  i have a welding rig and i have been building drilling rigs and now i am back to building vessels in a shop and i am working for tradesmen intern'al and they are going to end the contract early and i am going to be out of work at the end of Nov. i am thinking about working in a refinerary so i can keep workinh.  where do i get started???  i have a tig rig flow meter and a bottle....
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-22-2007 06:30
Hello Cole Welding, the short answer to your question is, it isn't hard at all if you know what you're doing and how to do it. I'm not trying to be a smart a**, just trying to put it into perspective. If you've never done it or if you have done it in one industry and not another it can be very different depending upon the application. GTAW roots on pipe or tubing can have a myriad of differences even though they are essentially providing the same thing, a root pass. You will need to determine where you are going to target your work and then find out the procedure that they are working to. Sometimes the root pass on pipe is done without any purge, other times a past flux is applied to the inside of the pipe, yet other instances nitrogen is used, others still might use argon as the purge gas. If a purge gas is used it might require the use of a purge dam or something of a similar nature(this could include commercially available dams, bread, newspaper, these depend on the application), joint tape is likely required when an internal purge is specified. I think you are probably getting the idea here. Most of the folks that I know who weld roots in pipe with GTAW have a very specific regimen that they follow for making a specific weld. They use a certain size cup for the root and then change the size of the cup as required for different joint depths and configurations. They also typically "walk the cup" and use a "laywire" technique, this is another reason for a specific cup size. Tungsten grind angles and compositions can be important.
     If you can, either see about hooking up with another welder who is welding in the area that you have an interest in and watch and learn. Or possibly go to a training center of some sort that can teach you or refine the skills that you already have. Good luck and best regards, aevald
Parent - - By Cole Welding (**) Date 10-22-2007 07:18
ok i will find someone to help....
Parent - - By arrowside (**) Date 10-22-2007 12:58
Aevald,

Can you please explain the "laywire" and " walk the cup" technique? All of my TIG experience is on sheetmetal, and I was always a freehander. After having elbow surgery recently, when i went to TIG a stainless fillet at an interview, I shook like a Parkinson's patient. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 10-22-2007 13:53
Hello arrowside, I don't have a lot of time right now, but there are possibly some examples of these techniques on U Tube. There are also a number of threads on the forum here that describe the method and some of the variations. You might try using the search function on the forum and be able to bring up some of the past information that has been posted on this. When I get a little more time I will try to include more information, in the mean time maybe some of the others on the forum might be able to help as well. Best regards, aevald
Parent - By jawtig (*) Date 11-20-2007 13:51
Walking the cup is where you move the cup lightly on your work piece i.e. your bevel, side to side as you move forward while metling the work piece and the filler wire at the same time. If done correctly on you root or your hot pass you will have a nice uniform flow and a line in the middle of the weld pass.
You can practice walking the cup on a styrofoam cup. Put your touch together with out the tungsten and move the cup in the "walking" motion, the indentions left on the styrofom cup will show what your weld bead will look like. Tip about a root pass......small, jiggly type movements work the best as not to over fill.
As for the lay wire I'm not sure if he is talking about prefitted wire for the gap or the technique used to lay the filler wire/rod. Basicly press the filler wire fimly against the work pice, try not to move it or force it into the root opening. I have found while pressing the filler rod it will bend slightly, which is a good thing for kepping it stable, inplace, and better fusion with out discontinuitys.
Hope this helped.
Parent - By scrappywelds (***) Date 10-23-2007 02:40
combo welder is TIG/Stick  but it can also be Carbon/Stainless pipe
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / combo welding?????