Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Stelliting of SS 440 C
- - By nauman1489 Date 10-22-2007 10:32
Hi,

I am new in this forum. its Nice to read you all. I have a following question.

I WANT OT STELLITE SS 440 GRADE C. SHOULD I PERFORM STELLITING WITH COBALT BASED SURFACE HARDENING RODS OR I SHOULD PERFORM WITH OTHER FILLER ROD? IF I SHOULD DO IT WITH OTHER FILLER ROD THAN WHICH WILL BE THE BEST OPTION?

REGARDS.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 10-22-2007 15:45
The first thing you need to do is determine the properties required of the filler you intend to use. Abrasion, temperature, corrosivity etc.
You need a history of the targeted service, or a similar service, and data of selected alloys. But most of all, if the service in any way has a risk to human health or safety you need a design engineer.
Parent - By afaqaslam Date 01-10-2008 12:29
Main to heran hun k tujhay itni english a kaisay gai????? Its Strange & embarassing for all the FFC Employs......
Parent - By papovich Date 01-15-2008 22:39
Why hardsurface such a hard alloy?  The stellite that you put on would not be harder than the 440c if you fully heat treat the 440c.  If you do not have the means to heat treat, that's another issue.  You choose the proper stellite based on its hardness and your required hardness. To do stellite right though, you need to post weld heat treat it anyway----so if you can't heat treat, don't hardface.   Heat treating is done at 1900 -1925---hold for about 1 hour per inch of cross sectional thickness (no less than 1/2 hour)---air or oil quench---temper at 400 -675 (the lower the harder) for about 1 hour per inch of cross sectional thickness (no less than 1/2 hour).  Luck to you my friend!
Parent - By weldgault (**) Date 01-16-2008 02:57
Others have ask also, but what service is the material going into.  Example: Oil Field Valves and Gates?  You tell us.   John
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Stelliting of SS 440 C