Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / invertec 275 or miller cst 280
- - By broadhead0706 Date 10-23-2007 14:14
Hi everyone,let me start by stating this is not about bashing red or blue .Just looking for the best electric ,single phase machine, to learn to pipe weld ,and get my certification,for gas pipe welding 100 percent x ray etc. Can get a lincoln 200 d machine or 300 machine anytime from work, but to weld at home ,for 4 or 5 hrs at home in my development, people be shooting at me if you no what i mean with the noise of those babys.Here is what i need to burn 6010- 5/32  rods for root pass, and 7010- 3/16 for cap,been looking at the miller cst 280 or lincoln invert 275 ,i here you cant go wrong with either machine,but im learning, so which machine handles the 6010 rod better on root passes at single phase,lincoln claims there machine has no derating at single phase ,the miller does, but does that even matter for what im burning.Miller claims there machine you dont need to set any switch (crisp mode or hot start etc.on lincolns)because it does it automatic.One more thing, it dosent have to be either of these machine, if you feel there is a machine (electric) that can burn 6010 rod well ,but dont want to spend more then  i have to ,because if i do get certified ,our truck are all big lincoln 200 or 300 machines.Any help here thank you ,and please it not about red or blue
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 10-23-2007 14:53 Edited 10-23-2007 14:57
Hello broadhead0706, I would make this suggestion. The big thing about running E6010 electrode is that typically this has been problematic for some of the inverters. You might take one other inverter into account, the Thermal Arc line, possibly the ArcMaster 160TS(after looking at your post closer you may have to go with the 300 model for the larger electrode). If nothing else get with your area welding supplier and see about "test driving" the various machines that you are considering. Pay close attention to how they run the E6010 electrode, this is the one that will seperate the men from the boys as far as a machine goes. If your welding suppliers are worth their salt they will either allow you to bring a machine home and use it or will have it set-up in their facilities for you to try. Pay attention to arc outage when you possibly long arc the rod, this will help you to determine how well it will maintain an arc. Also pay attention to whether the heat and penetration on open root applications can be controlled by increasing and decreasing the arc length. Good luck on your endeavor, as I believe you also said all of these machines are really great pieces of equipment, you just have to find the one that suits you. Best regards, Allan
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / invertec 275 or miller cst 280