Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS D17.1 Interpretation
- - By Zeek (**) Date 10-25-2007 17:03
I'm looking for some clarification on the types of welding procedures defined in D17.1.  I couldn't seem to find them within the document, but is the correct terminology MACHINE, SEMI-AUTOMATIC, and MANUAL?  What is the difference between machine and semi-auto?  There seems to be some difference in interpretation between what is what.  We have our own internal spec that calls out "mechanized, semi-auto, and manual" welds and our procedures need to be certified to that spec.  The welders need to be certd to 1595, of course now superseded by 17.1. 

Most the welding we do consists of using a stake welder from jetline and using their 9500 controller and whatnot.  However, the welder does not use AVC and he's constantly adjusting the current, voltage, speed, wire feed, etc as the torch travels down the part.  What would this type of welding be classified as?  machine?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-26-2007 00:12
At best I would consider it to be mechanized. Semi-automatic is also in the running if the welder is making all those adjustments on the fly. From the sounds of your description, the only thing the "machine" is doing is holding the torch, so I would lean toward semi-automatic which entails more welder interaction with the equipment while welding.

Al
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-26-2007 01:39
I would go with semi-automatic

Machine/Mechanized suggests greater control by the machine/program than what you describe

Semi auto can be anything from pulling the trigger on a mig to... Synchronized pulsed GTAW with adaptive feedback, and multiple arc strikes on multiple surfaces within a programmed weld schedule.. The operators still makes adjustments on the fly, within the schedule.

Manual is well..... manual  :)

D17 is minimalist... this sort of question will be answered in A3.0  

Having said that... Bringing terminology in conformance with A3.0 is kind of an ongoing struggle for the folks who publish the codes.  It ain't perfect
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 10-26-2007 02:35
Mechanized Welding=Welding with equipment that requires manual adjustments of the equipment controls in response to visual observation of the welding, with the torch, gun, or the electrode holder held by a mechanical device. 
Semiautomatic Welding=Manual welding with equipment that automatically controls one ore more of the welding conditions.

Machine welding is a nonstandard term.
On all of the WPS & PQR's with a company I use to work for they put machine welding for process-Machine GTAW. Looking back I think it should have been mechanized GTAW.

I think a primary difference between mechanized and semiautomatic welding is that mechanized welding has a carriage that transports the electrode holder. I could be wrong on that.
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 10-29-2007 03:47
And I am wrong, at least outside of AWS. Machine welding is standard terminology in ASME IX and possibly many other codes I don't have.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS D17.1 Interpretation