Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Estimation Tips..
- - By freddy tananta Date 10-26-2007 14:31 Edited 10-26-2007 15:32
Hello Everyone,
Does anyone know about, estimating on-site jobs or general estimation tips in welding?
I was working in different fields of the welding industry, using Mig, Tig, Stick, Oxiacetilene,
on steel stainless steel and aluminumat this time I am planning to start my
mobile welding service. hope to hear from you.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 10-26-2007 18:36
Freddy,
the information you're searching is a confidential one that contractors (erectors, plateworking outfits, structural steel fabricators etc.) keep locked at seven keys for their own use.
I remember a few of the ones you mentioned from my days of erector engineer, many years ago. However, they apply to South America, not to the States, and besides, since then a lot of progress has been made on both sides of the ocean to improve productivity. So, they (the information) are already obsolete.
This book applies to pipework:
Title: "Piping Estimator's Manhours Manual"
Author: John Page
Publisher: Gulf Publishing Company, Houston, TX

You can also search publications from welding material manufacturers (Lincoln, Esab, Miller etc.) who, being manufacturers and not contractors, are not reluctant to share their knowledge in this field.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil 
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-27-2007 08:11
Hello Freddy,

I agree with Crisi that this is very valuable info few are willing to share.   Bidding large jobs well takes experience, bidding small jobs well takes experience.   So learn on the small ones because the mistakes are not as costly.  

I had an employer once who took a repair/fab job on a water truck that was a rental unit.  They caved in one corner of the tank and had two days to fix before return or they would face large charges.   My employer quoted them at $1500.00  and I was floored by that.....this tank was curved kinda elliptical in shape....no way we could fab it up and cut out install and make money!!!!  He said simply don't worry I have a plan........We tack welded 1/4 inch steel to the tank and used chain winches and torches to form the steel to the tank then we simply cut the damage out and welded in our formed pieces.   We were done in 5 hours and at our hourly rate he told me to take the rest of the day off and paid me xtra that week.   Experience  there is no substitute!!!!  learn on the smaller jobs and work your way up.   
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 10-27-2007 17:16
I don't know anyone who would help you on this subject nor should they.

I suggest that you get a stop watch and a bound note book.  Start timing every task you perform and make a note of it.  How long to roll up the cables.  How long to bring all your tools in, how long to grind a bevel, how long to clean up, how long to get the Mag Drill out and drill one hole, ETC.

Start Small, or be well funded and able to eat your underestimates.

Joe Kane
Parent - - By Riccardo Date 11-17-2007 15:46
Hi
I' m new of this forum and I am italian too ( I'm not so familir with english).  If I have undestood your question, my suggestion is :
To calculate the man- hour you can use  John S. Page "Estimators Piping man-hours Manual". see www.gulfpp.com

Therefore you will calculate:
Man-hours costs
Material costs
Consumables  costs(gas, electrodes,  etc,)
Services, as: NDE; PWHT, Cranes, QA/QC, accomodation, etc.
The sum off all these items is Direct Cost (you can apply a margin of risk of 5-10% or more- it's up to you) 
Then spreads on direct cost the overhead costs (supervision, accounting, traveles, telefon, fax, etc.)
after then add the mark-up for yoy prifit margin
Riccardo

Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 11-21-2007 16:49
Riccardo,
John Page's book will help you in calculating the direct man hours required to prefabricate and erect piping work.
Taking into account that a foreman can supervise from 15 to 25 workers (if less than 15 he's not a good foreman and if more than 25 he won't be able to control what each one of them is doing), you can figure out the direct supervision (foremen). 
The other things you mention are the ones Freddy is asking help for, and as I told him, those are confidential information that fabricators and contractors don't disclose to third parties because they are part of their know how, and Tommy and Joe Kane have agreed with me.

Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil

Benvenuto al Forum. Il tuo inglese non รจ mica male. 
Io sono un milanese che abita in Brasile da 35 anni e faccio il professore universitario. Il mese di luglio scorso sono stato in Italia per l'ultima volta. E tu, di dove sei e cosa fai ?
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Estimation Tips..