Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Ranger 250 governor
- - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 10-26-2007 15:29
I use a Ranger 250 for occasional use on the road, and until recently have only SMAW welded with it.  I just added a Miller Super SV32 voltage sensing wire feeder.  I have been using it with ER70-S6 .035 wire 90-10 gas, GMAW-S.  When I strike an arc, the generator bogs down for second or two before the governor gets enough fuel and the motor revs accordingly.  This slight lag in power gives me a cold start on almost every weld.  I run it on high RPMs so it does not constantly cycle from idle to run, but it does not help the situation.  Is there a way to get more fuel to governor faster, or is this just a normal problem running a gas drive versus a diesel?  Is this limited to GMAW-S, and not likely to be so problematic if I go to dual shield FCAW?  The machine has less than 300 hrs, and has never had a problem using SMAW.

Thanks,
Mark
Parent - By KSellon (****) Date 10-26-2007 21:16
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/wire_feeders/

Which feeder do you have??????? I was gonna toss some suggestions out there but I am unfamiliar with Miller Super SV32.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-27-2007 04:21
Just an idea: If You manually dump the throttle wide open by pushing on the linkage right at the carb does it speed up immediatly, or does it hesitate? Since the EPA has set emission regulations for small engines they run pretty lean and can't readily be ajusted ritcher. I doubt that engine has an accelerator pump to help through the initial drop in vacuum like cars did. How does it perform at lower voltage settings?
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Ranger 250 governor