Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding lead reels
- - By elliott (**) Date 10-28-2007 21:52
how it going everybody. I was just wondering what you guys thought of the lead reels and if any body would know where to get good set.Thanks.

elliott
Parent - - By roostenmotherbr (*) Date 10-29-2007 05:06
Hey elliott, I was going to make my own, I have access to a couple of farming disks, they have the taper already on them, weld in a piece of 4" pipe cut a hole in the side of the disk near the pipe, stick the lead out the hole put a end on it, make a lead that will go from the welder to the(oooops its a welding machine) piece you stuck out the hole. weld a crank on it. (when you have enough lead out plug it in.) It will be tuff  I am going to do the same for my torch, but I will have quick connects. Hope I helped?
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 11-02-2007 03:36
I keep telling you guys over and over........I will send you a water jetted kit for 200 bones included shipping - per reel. No bearings, no maintenance - just simple.

I run them on my rigs and they are good in all kinds of weather..........
Parent - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 11-04-2007 16:22
send me pics of you reels...would like to s them
Parent - - By elliott (**) Date 11-05-2007 23:38
How it going everybody. sourdough coul you post sum pics of reels or send them to my email thanks. and is the price 200 each thanks

elliott
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 11-07-2007 01:44
Sorry guys - don't know how to post here yet

Best I can do is myspace.com  -  Sourdough1. There, you will see one set of reels that I made on a receiver hitch/toolbox.

I have discovered that you can arrange the reels inverted against each other and it saves a bunch of space.

Tonight I will put a pic of my new rig and the reels like I just talked about...........
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 10-29-2007 19:03
www.railroadyard.com   they are located in stillwater oklahoma. 130 bucks for each spool.
Parent - By AnotherPender (*) Date 11-02-2007 02:41
you can fabricate lead reels with brushes in them so you dont have to deal with the hassle of plugging and unplugging of leads and extension cords. they have some on the market called Tidwell reels. they are amazing reels and look great (stainless i think). kinda pricey though. i can get a number if ur interested.
Parent - - By SandhillsLobo Date 11-02-2007 03:01
Shorthood 2006 steered me to www.railroadyard.com. Very nice reels, well built, and not so heavy they need a Caterpillar emblem on them. Similar ones on ebay, little more pricey. For lead reels, I like the bearing on the shaft setup the best. No brushes to wear out, always have good contact as most all bearings are sealed. Find something good to insulate with, poly/plastic or rubber gasket material over hardwood, and you've got it made!
Parent - - By AnotherPender (*) Date 11-02-2007 03:23
do you have to plug and unplug?
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 11-02-2007 03:40
Plug/unplug.

Do you have to untangle your leads 6 times a day - on a continual basis?

Plug, or unplug........I can relate that to my entire life.
Parent - By AnotherPender (*) Date 11-02-2007 03:49
maybe im just spoiled but i would rather grab my stinger and remote and jump down in the ditch without having to go back up and plugging in my leads. ever twist off the end of a plug in? kinda frustrating.
Parent - - By AnotherPender (*) Date 11-02-2007 04:00
i personally dont like reels b/c they overheat and burn up quicker. Rolling ur leads too tight and they get no air flow to bottom layers. Big loops or lead wells are the only way to go.
Parent - By roostenmotherbr (*) Date 11-02-2007 06:00
AnotherPender

You have a point there, and come to think about it , it will create a great big choke coil, maby reducing the power to the stinger.That would not be good on a little welding machine?
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 11-03-2007 01:52
Maybe instead of mammajammin my leads onto my reel in 30 seconds,10 times a day - I could............

(A) Clean off all the mud, chemicals, and crap off my leads before I decide to (spool up).

(B) Take 10 minutes throwing my leads on my hangers, numerous times a day.

(C) Look like a rancher - crap flapping in the breeze, going down the highway.

(D) Just not have the talent to fab up some jammin reels that look good and are functional..........

P.S. - If you isolate your hot lead, there is no chance of frying your leads  - a piece of rubber/plywood, etc.......
Parent - - By AnotherPender (*) Date 11-03-2007 04:03
sorry to hurt ur feelings but its not the fact of the leads making contact with each other; leads tend to get hot when you weld all day with them. and if it takes you 10 minutes to roll up with big loops then maybe you need to practice a little bit.
Parent - By cmays (***) Date 11-06-2007 01:45
I tried running a nice set of reels insulated and all on my rig. It creates an induced voltage wich I noticed had an effect on arc characteristics (especially when running tig stringers) not to mention heating up my leads. I took them off and have the old loop horns on now. Kin of a pain in the butt but you get used to it.
Parent - By SandhillsLobo Date 11-12-2007 01:38
No. the reels from railroadyard come with all the holes predrilled in them to use. Just decide where to mount them, bolt them down, and run some short tails from your machine to the bases of the reels. The current runs from there through the bearings to the eye on the spool where your lead is attached. Since the bearings have constant contact all the time current is transferred efficiently without any arcing. As for pros and cons of the heating effects of coiled up leads and effects on arc characteristics, I just roll them completely out if I am going to be doing some serious welding. It only takes a minute to roll them up when I'm done. Otherwise, I have used them for several minutes at a time spooled up without any ill effects. Most of my work requires all 100 feet of my leads anyway. You just gotta pick a setup that suits what you do.
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 11-04-2007 16:23
the spools at the railroadyard are both insulated.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-06-2007 03:39
Any time you wrap a conductor (welding leads) around a ferromagnetic material, you create an electromagnet when the current flows. The intensity of the field is equal to amps times the number of turns.

Have someone hold a piece of iron or steel next to the cable reel as you weld. The magnetic field developed in the reel (spools) can be very strong.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By jim parker (**) Date 11-06-2007 14:00
I have just finished my new lead reels! when i get them on the truck ill post some pics. My Dad made and used his lead reals for years and never had a problem! He has been a pipeliner for years!
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 12-14-2007 14:19
The same guy makes them both. Jack Stigley. I carry the same ones for $110 on the singles and 220 on the doubles.
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 12-14-2007 18:26
what kind are those reels.
Parent - - By jb welding Date 12-13-2007 02:20
have you found/made a set of reels yet? I have had a set of reels on my rig for 5 years and have had no problems.
Parent - - By JescoPressure (**) Date 12-13-2007 16:35
thought you guys might like to see these. This is what lots of guys including me run up here in Alberta www.shellryn.com   look under products
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-13-2007 18:35
damn those are nice how much do they cost
Parent - By JescoPressure (**) Date 12-14-2007 00:09
i didnt buy the 4 post i bought them all seprate i think it was 700 for the leads 500 for oxy act. and 250 for the remote. But these arent as nice as the others posted by hurricunning on here as the leads on the other are completely live i believe . Mine you got to screw the gnarled nuts at the end for a connection onunplg the  leads after reeling them out and you have to plug and unplug the remote to reel to. But you pay big for the live ones but really they might be worth the extra money.
Parent - - By hurricunning (*) Date 12-13-2007 21:55
I have a set of the ShellRyns and they are nice, but not without a few shortcomings.  I got a set of Alumareels (http://www.alumareel.ca/)  last year and although they are significantly more money, they are more user friendly and absolutely trouble free so far.
Parent - - By JescoPressure (**) Date 12-13-2007 23:57
i saw those at continental they are nice but DAMN$
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-15-2007 01:05
i'm sure they're very good but 1200 for 3 reels thats alot of money for oil fild trash like me
Parent - By JescoPressure (**) Date 12-14-2007 23:41
Theres a machine shop in St paul AB called swisco that makes reels and they are really nice to, more pricey than the shellryn reels but the are live like the ones you got. Ive seen guys from around that area running them and i guess if you go into there he can fab them any way you want like if you want a bigger oxy/act reel he'll  build them for you like that and theyll plasma your business name into them to
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding lead reels