Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Layout a radius with a baseline and X & Y coordinates
- - By aevald (*****) Date 10-30-2007 01:17 Edited 10-30-2007 03:26
Hello everyone, and as for you, Tommy, if you liked the last one you're gonna enjoy this one too. There have been times when I have needed to check a radius on a large rolled piece or when I have needed to correctly set a crown or camber for a fabricated bridge. The method that I have included here will allow an individual to do just that for any size fabricated structure. The following method will allow for direct measurement off of a baseline to check a radius as well as allow an individual to determine shim thickness and position to set structural pieces with the correct and even crown or camber. It can also allow points to be located for a straightedge or piece of banding to be bent to follow and trace a line at the correct radius.
     This formula/layout method is best used where a trammel or other radius drawing device would not be feasible due to the size of a given radius. So here you go folks. Best regards, Allan
Attachment: coordinatelayout.bmp (863k)
Parent - - By RGL (*) Date 11-22-2007 08:18 Edited 11-27-2007 16:46
There is a Hand Held Calculator on the website link below that is very user friendly and can layout just about anything, including Large Radius Layout, see page from manual attached.  You just input the dimensions it prompts you for, and it will give you all the layout dimension's you need for the layout.  You don't need to know the math and its Dead Accurate.  You can use the Layout Manual that comes with it like a computer monitor for visual instruction and direction.   It will also layout Square to Rounds, Round Elbows, Intersecting TEE's at any angle including the HOLE layout, Stair Cases, handrails and much more. It always reads dimensions in DECIMAL form 1st,  then in FRACTIONAL form 2nd,  to the closest 1/32",+/- 1/64".  This is for the person that doesn't know his/her Decimal readouts. It also has Utility programs for Drill & Tap sizes, Metric Conversions, Pulley sizes, including RPM and Belt lengths and more.  This is a hell of a tool for people that don't have any layout experience or know the math.  The site shows all the pages in the manual.  Be sure to read all the "NOTES" in the pages, it helps things make sense.  This Calculator is a Real Tool, its not a gimmick or a toy.  Its worth a look at.

http://www.sheetmetallayoutcalculator.com
Attachment: x11RADIUSLAYOUT90dpi.jpg (0B)
Attachment: ARCSCORDS90dpi.jpg (91k)
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 11-23-2007 18:34
Hello RGL, I took a look and that really is an interesting tool. I have a question, is this a programmable calculator that you load with various software applications? this one being one that does the things that they describe on the site that you led me to? Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 11-23-2007 20:37
hey Allen, I believe it is a programmable one, I seen the same model number yesterday at wallyworld for 49.99. I have a TI-83 platinum(i think,lol) that you can program the same way!
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 11-23-2007 20:45
Thanks, ctacker, this might definitely be worth taking a look at. Any more there are so many different ways to approach the same issue, some old-school and many new technology, all worth knowing as far as I'm concerned. Regards, Allan
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 11-23-2007 22:03
I should also point out that for the price of that calc, it is well worth it, It took me a few hours to to make 3 small programs for calculating the rise,chord and radius of circles and a couple for figuring triangles, would take me at least 100 hrs to program all that he has programmed!
Parent - By RGL (*) Date 11-24-2007 16:43 Edited 11-24-2007 18:03
Yes, this is a programable calculator.  It holds all the program's listed on the website with room for more. I started to use the Texas Instrument TI 83 but I had to many complaints that it was intimidating and wasn't very user friendly for the average person and I had to agree.  The CASIO 9850 series turned out to be very user friendly, and easier to program for me. There are several models in the CASIO 9850 series that have only 32kb of ram, but the one I recommend is the CFX-9850GC with 64kb ram. The 32kb models won't hold all the programs but they will hold about 95% of them. The manual was writen to be in a way like a computer monitor, if needed, as an aid for location and direction.  All pages have sample Input's & Output's, a layout drawing and notes to help you understand and make it user friendly.   See the Lg. Radius Layout and the Arcs & Cords Pages from the manual in the attachments below.     I have well over 1000 hours in programing, writing the manual and the website.  Two of the largest Custom Metal shops in San Diego use these programs for bench and field use and are recomended by there employers.
Attachment: x11RADIUSLAYOUT90dpi.jpg (178k)
Attachment: ARCSCORDS90dpi.jpg (91k)
Attachment: 90_TRIANGLE90dpi.jpg (80k)
Attachment: OBLIQUE-TRIANGLE90dpi.jpg (130k)
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Layout a radius with a baseline and X & Y coordinates