Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Closed Book Section of CWI
- - By QualityREP Date 04-07-2001 18:28
I am FINALLY applying to take the CWI seminar and Exam in July. One problem I seem to be unable to resolve is:

Does the AWS give examinations using any of the following "codes" as the criteria for the "open book" phase of the exam? ASME Sect VIII, Section IX, B31.1, B31.3. Some people (CWI wannabes) have told me yes, and I don't think the No I received by phone from the Certification Department was definitive.

I consider my self some what knowledgable in D1.1, but 99% of my post military experience has been in the ASME area. Thanks for your tiime to answer.
QualityREP

Parent - By THS-CWI (*) Date 04-07-2001 22:51
When I took my test, there was a choice of A.W.S. D1.1,D1.5 & D1.15, API 1104 they never mentioned ASME PVC at all. They did say they no longer offered Mil.Spec.

Sorry I can't help more.
Parent - By THS-CWI (*) Date 04-07-2001 22:53
When I took my test, there was a choice of A.W.S. D1.1,D1.5 & D1.15, API 1104 they never mentioned ASME PVC at all. They did say they no longer offered Mil.Spec.

Sorry I can't help more.

By the way, these were all "Open Book" tests-you really need to know where to find the information-I'de suggest getting a D1.1-2000 since ASME PVC is pretty close.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 04-12-2001 22:00
No! at present all they offer is AWS codes & API. They droped ASME some time back.
Parent - - By QualityREP Date 04-13-2001 00:31
Thanks for your everyone's replies. I am now convinced that I have to really bone up on D1.1 between now and July. It's not entirely new to me, but still some what confusing. QualityREP
Parent - - By stringer_2000 (*) Date 04-13-2001 01:22
Why don't you use API-1104?
Parent - By BCSORT (*) Date 04-13-2001 03:23
I used the API 1104 a little over 2 months ago with only 3 weeks to study. I had very little code book experience and found that section of the test the easiest. It's 75 pages compared to the D1.1 which is over 500 pages.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 04-13-2001 17:10
I just took the test last month and what it amounts to is a test of your inspection skills point blank.(not welding skills) (I am and have been a welder for a long time)
If you have the tenacity to exame every thing you see and evaluate what you see you can get by. (if you are prepared)

Knowing all the answers is not enough, the tests are not that simple. Some of the questions may be very simple to some one whos been around the industry for a while but you may not recognize the correct answer or answers.

There for what ever code you choose is not so important as your ability to find and interpret it needed information.

Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Closed Book Section of CWI