Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / welding curriculum progression
- - By bphinson (*) Date 10-30-2007 22:02
Wanted to say hi to all the fellas out there on this forum. This is bphinson and I have been off the forum several months doing some "soul searching" regarding my career progression as a professional welder. I appreciate all the great advice and insight from all the great gentlemen on this forum. Had one more question for the fellas as I begin to finish out the last two remaining semesters of my pipe certificate program at the community college. Should I continue to primarily focus on the stick process as I begin to move onto pipe from structural? Reason being is that this particular certificate coursework focuses on the stick process and never really touches MIG or TIG at all. My ultimate goal is to perhaps operate a small repair shop and do some rig work on the side but not production weld per say. However, I want my skills to be good enough to attain AWS certified welder status in structural & pipe. Thank you once again for all the advice and responses!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-30-2007 23:03
If pipe is what you love than the most natural training progression would be to finish mastering SMAW and then look to GTAW which is quite often a requirement for root passes in the piping business, not to mention thin wall pipe and tubing that may be welded with GTAW 100%.

This is not to say that GMAW and FCAW are never used for pipe or tubular fabrication, they are!

This is really a time for you to look at the job market that you will wish to approach at graduation.  Do research to find out exactly what codes and procedures are being used at places you think you would like to compete for a job.  This will tell you which processes should be a priority.

In the end, most journeymen find that they must master each process and many different alloys to a greater or lesser extent at some time over the bredth of their careers.
Parent - - By bphinson (*) Date 11-07-2007 03:30
Lawrence-thanks for your response. On a side note, how much fitting experience/knowledge should I have when approaching the job market? I believe pipe fitters/pipe welders work very closely together. Will some jobs require the pipe welder to do his own fit-up, or will the fitter set up the welder for the weldment? Our curriculum only teaches an introductory course on layout and fabrication. I would like to enter the job market in the near future and not have to go through the entire pipe fitter apprenticeship program to learn fit-up. Thanks!
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-07-2007 12:40
Don't be too quick to jettison the notion of a good apprenticeship program.

The good ones (if you can get in one) will start you out somewhere near $20 per hour full time with full benefits. You will work and go to school at the same time (school paid for by the union) and you will learn much more than just fitting.

There are others here who can also attest to the thorough learning that comes from a good Steamfitter, Boilermaker, Ironworker, Pipefitter, style apprenticeship.

How much experience do you need?   That is going to vary quite a bit on the type of work you apply for.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / welding curriculum progression